Trouble shooting noise in HAM when lights are switched on/off... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a Kenwood HAM radio and it's driving me nuts. I am sure it is user error and a mistake in my install.

Here is what's happening.

My radio runs noise free about 95% of the time. However, when the radio seems to warm up (maybe 1/2 hour of running it) I get crazy annoying noise coming through the speaker. The sound is like I have dropped the squelch below the threshold. It is clear that I get some engine noise as it coincides with the RPM's of the motor. Here is the kicker, I can adjust the headlights on or off and the noise disappears. Doesn't matter if they are on or off, switching the lights to the other position always makes the noise vanish... for a few minutes at least. Sometimes just braking makes the noise happen too. Problem is it's not all the time, again the system is noise free about 95% of the time.

I am about to rearrange my whole system and reinstall it, so I wanted to get feedback (pun intended) before reinstalling it. Here is how I installed my current setup starting on post 62

Currently I suspect the following:
  • The radio is currently hooked up to a fuse block on the 2nd battery not directly to the primary battery.
  • I ran the coax through the factory grommets from the tailgate into the cab. Right next to the brake wires.
  • I have a clamp on style antenna mount mounted to the lift gate door on my 100 Series.
  • A poor ground somewhere.

I am going to change things up a bit, including where I mount my HAM head unit.
  • Mount the head unit in a more accessible spot.
  • Move the antenna to a hood mount instead of the liftgate.
  • Go back to wiring to the main battery directly not through a fuse block
Anyhow, I am open to any suggestion to make my 2.0 system not have this issue. I have read about grounding the body panels with strap and a few other things but I am open to anything the community things would help.

Extra bonding/grounding is always good. The first place I'd start is bonding the exhaust (near the tail pipe) to the frame with a braided strap.

Besides that, check for your antenna coax running near/parallel to any power wires, including your headlight harness. Re-route if you find this.

I have my radios powered through an auxiliary fuse block and the work well, but the general advice is to wire straight to a battery; you might try that temporarily and see if it makes a difference.

Good luck with finding the noise source in any event.

Is the wire from batt to aux fuse block larger than power wire that comes with radio? Large enough to handle all loads on aux fuse block?
Is ground for radio wired back to battery with same gauge wire? Important.
Make sure coax is not anywhere near the exhaust pipe, had mine melt and ruin a radio.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom