trimmers - Redmax vs Shindaiwa (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Need to pick up some yard s*** and a bunch of lawn guys are going out of biz around here. Is there a preference of Shindy over the Redmax? Specific redmax I was looking at was the 2601 ... 2 yrs old.

Used or new?

The redmax uses a stratified charged engine. In a heavy commercial use condition, they blow cylinder gaskets evey 6 months. In your area that would be once a year since your growing season is shorter.

Redmax is owned by Electrolux or "Husqvarna". Shop around and you can probably find that redmax unit at Lowes for a whole lot cheaper. It will be Orange and say Husqvarna.

Shindiawa is owned by Echo. Shop around and you can probably find that Shindiawa unit at Home Depot or Tractor Supply Company for a whole lot cheaper. It will be Grey or Orange and say Echo.

Good luck with the Rainbow marketing.

If it were me, I would by an STIHL FS 90. It is lighter, more power/torque, comparible warranty, less money.

In the end, buy something your local servicing dealer takes care of.

Redmax is owned by Electrolux or "Husqvarna". Shop around and you can probably find that redmax unit at Lowes for a whole lot cheaper. It will be Orange and say Husqvarna.

Chinese spin-off or are they still made in Sweden?

Electrolux manufactured the high end proffessional items in Sweden. They were sold under the Husqvarna and Johnsered name. Many of thier products are made all over the world. When they bought Beird-Pouln, they continued to manufacture the poulan brand in Shreveport LA. They changed the color of some plastic and made some new lables. They also manufacture equipment in mexico, China, and part of the world that only google knows where the countries actually are.

Komatsu - Zenoa of Japan sold the hand held division (Red Max) to Electrolux in 2006/2007. I don't know where they are currently being made. It may depend on the model.

not that this is answering the question, but I recall Consumer Reports repeatedly rating the Stihl trimmers as best (or was it best buys?) some years back. Am getting one of those next. (Although my Craftsman lasted 15 years of moderate use.)

How about a BCZ2610S?

(SRM) 2601 is an Echo unit.

Need to pick up some yard **** and a bunch of lawn guys are going out of biz around here. Is there a preference of Shindy over the Redmax? Specific redmax I was looking at was the 2601 ... 2 yrs old.

RedMax - BCZ2610S

If you can get it for less than $50 and it runs great, go for it.

They sold for $269 - $299 when new. The unit you are looking at has been used commerially for 2 years. It's engineered life span is over.

Here is an example of the exact product sold at different location, just a different color and a different price.

Good luck with the Rainbow marketing.

24.5 cc Trimmer Swisher E4-S3000 @ $329.99 T2510 (C4) @ $399.99
34 cc Trimmer Swisher E4-S4000 @ $399.99 T3410 (C4) @ $469.99
24.5 cc Brushcutter Swisher E4-B3000 @ $389.99 C2510 (C4) @ $459.99
34 cc Brushcutter Swisher E4-B4000 @ $459.99 C3410 (C4) @ $539.99
24.5 cc Handheld Blower Swisher E4-A3000 @ $219.99 EB2510 (C4) @ $279.99
34 cc Handheld Blower Swisher E4-A4000 @ $249.99 EB3410 (C4) @ $309.99
24.5 cc Extended HS Swisher E4-HT4000 @ $449.99 AHS2510 (C4) @ $529.99
24.5 cc Split shaft KM Swisher E4-U3000 @ $309.99 M2510 (C4) @ $369.99
3 lb. spool .095" or .105" Oregon Gatorline @ $28.99 Ultra Flex Premium @ $33.81
5 lb. spool .095" or .105" Oregon Gatorline @ $48.99 Ultra Flex Premium @ $54.31

Last edited:
If you can get one of them for a good price, go for it. The Shindaiwa T-25 line trimmer put Shindaiwa on the global map. There are few that can compete with that unit.

Ok, I get the point thanks :D. I'll look for a decent Shihl.

I don't want to have you get a worn out piece of machinery.

Check the compression #'s. The generally have to have 100psi to idle. Check the output shaft on the gearbox. Check the guide were the rope comes out of the starter. The wear on the guide will tell you how much use the starter has seen.

You have a short growing season in Buggerville so a 2 year old unit may not have seen that much use. In central and southern california, the line trimmer and lawn care professionals work 12 months a year.

I have a shindawa trimmer. The thing starts every time and it sits all winter with s***ty gas. Im not happy with the spool. I broke two of them. replaced it with the kind that doesnt use fishing line. It has been good other than the spool. I bought it from local stihl dealer.