Trekking Poles (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I recently returned to backpacking after a LONG absence. I did a few hikes with the crew and borrowed a pole for a pretty steep, hard-pack talus descent, off-trail, one day. You know, the type of slope where the sand and gravel act like little marbles. The trekking pole really helped.

I have done tons of off trail stuff, and sort of viewed trekking poles as a "cane" or "crutch" for people with poor balance. I get that aids going uphill, but my thought was always "work-out harder". I also see people using the damn things on a level fire roads, D'oh.

So age has caught up with me, and the knees and quads aren't what they used to be on the descents. So I bought some poles. I went with the good stuff, because I liked the cork grips, ventilation, curbed top of grip and lightweight. And shock absorbing tips. I also wanted something that would also go 135cm (6'2"). I paid more than I care to admit, even on sale.

Anyway, I took them up on a 5 day trip over loose talus, steep snow slopes and pretty hellacious uphill grinds. For a multiday trip, I'll never go without the poles.

Leki Corklite DSS Antishock. Buy once, cry once.

Corklite DSS | Poles | Trekking | Product area | LEKI

Last edited:
I bought poles at Costco a couple years ago, cork handles, spring "suspension" very light weight. I can't believe I hiked without them before. I've had two total knee replacements and thought my backpacking days were over. These poles were a God send. Under thirty bucks.

Those are nice.
Before our trip last week to Mount Rainier we wanted some trekking poles, and I looked at some on Amazon in the $25 and up range, and they had bad reviews.
Then I found these for around $65.
Amazon.com : VAIKEEN Premium 3K Carbon Trekking Poles / Sticks for Walking, Hiking / Collapsible, Ultra-Light, Shock-Absorbing Staff with Natural Cork Grips, Quick-Locks for Women & Men, Black, 1 Pair : Sports & Outdoors

I think they are kind of a copy of the Leki ones you got.
I may later spring for the Leki, but these did OK for us.

Those look like a good deal. I like the foam grip extender and all the accessories (especially the bag). I'm not sure about carbon for the lowest section. Mine get beat up on the rocks and I nearly bent one pole when it got wedged in a rock with my weight on it....but for $65, I would have tried it

I recently returned to backpacking after a LONG absence. I did a few hikes with the crew and borrowed a pole for a pretty steep, hard-pack talus descent, off-trail, one day. You know, the type of slope where the sand and gravel act like little marbles. The trekking pole really helped.

I have done tons of off trail stuff, and sort of viewed trekking poles as a "cane" or "crutch" for people with poor balance. I get that aids going uphill, but my thought was always "work-out harder". I also see people using the damn things on a level fire roads, D'oh.

So age has caught up with me, and the knees and quads aren't what they used to be on the descents. So I bought some poles. I went with the good stuff, because I liked the cork grips, ventilation, curbed top of grip and lightweight. And shock absorbing tips. I also wanted something that would also go 135cm (6'2"). I paid more than I care to admit, even on sale.

Anyway, I took them up on a 5 day trip over loose talus, steep snow slopes and pretty hellacious uphill grinds. For a multiday trip, I'll never go without the poles.

Leki Corklite DSS Antishock. Buy once, cry once.

Corklite DSS | Poles | Trekking | Product area | LEKI
Yeah, I picked up one of these from my parents estate, being executor several yrs ago. It's a Leki Cressida Ulltralite Titanium. Website says it's a women's pole, but it works for me. Plenty long enough - actually set less than max length. I use it for walks around town also, comes in handy to keep agressive stray dogs at bay, since my small town doesn't have a leash law. I've had to lower my hiking appetite with the onset of piraformis syndrome/sciatica irritation. One pole seems enough (for now...lol), we'll see how it goes. I like the wrist strap design, it works really well. I've always liked using a hiking stick of any sort on hikes when I was younger. Actually preferred an ice axe in the higher peaks on snow fields and glaciers. Now I've got the caddillac walking stick...lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom