TrekboxX drawer system for 80 series! (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

You would be excluding most HDJ81's if you opt to use the third row mounting points. Smaller market, but the vehicles are more expensive than most US 80's so it would be reasonable to assume the owners would be more likely to install a more expensive drawer system.

You would be excluding most HDJ81's if you opt to use the third row mounting points. Smaller market, but the vehicles are more expensive than most US 80's so it would be reasonable to assume the owners would be more likely to install a more expensive drawer system.

Good point.

This. HDJ81 checking in =)

Thanks for all the kind words guys!

I will say this.. I got a chance to see a set of David's drawers a few weeks back on a friend of my SILs Jeep. I planned on building my own, but after seeing them in person, using them for a weekend and then doing the math for me to build them, I have to say they are worth every hard earned red cent in comparison to other offerings I've seen and used.

Once we get moved and reset-up I will definitely be in contact for at least one set. Not to mention some interest in one off customs to go with my new canopy rig builds.

Thanks for the great product,

Jason

Thanks Jason! Just give me a ring, we'll set you up!

Great looking set-up! My question is about sleeping in the back. With the fridge on the left, and 3 drawers on the right, how hard is it to get ready to sleep? Do them drawers come down easily, and is there something like a filler panel to go over fridge slot? I want to sleep 2 adults in the back.... is it possible? And if so..... is it a pita to prepare/stow? Thanks!

I wouldn't recommend trying to sleep 2 adults with an Alpha and the extra drawers. The extra drawers come off with 4 bolts, but then you have the cages and what not. With an Alpha you can sleep one on the PS under the cargo barrier, but that's about it. You could forgo the cages, but that gives up a ton of utility. Once you use this cage/shelf setup you'll wonder how you ever got by without it.

I recommend a different sleeping option or go with a Bravo system. But then you have sacrifices there as well.

To your variant question, the 80 cargo space is essentially the same for all years. There are a very few without third row seats and the wheel wells are a bit different in those as well as not having strikers in the floor. If you do not tie directly to the wheel wells or the striker mounts it shouldn't matter. On the other hand the number of vehicles without third row is so small it probably doesn't matter if you build only to suit third row equipped trucks.

Great info, thanks. I know nothing about 80s besides the obvious- they're awesome.

Again, this is all greek to me. Was the HDJ81 offered here or only overseas? If the latter, I'm not sure how I'd get one to pattern..

Is the HDJ81 the same as the US non-3rd row as far as interior?

Thanks guys!

I think they look very nice, but they also seem a bit (a lot) overpriced. I may be wrong but I think this is the tech section, not the vendor section, so all discussion and opinions should be appropriate?
Well, it's a public forum, so you can say whatever you want. I am just asking people to be considerate and stay on topic, that's all.

As far as price. Well, if you meant to say that you would not spend that much on a drawer system, then fine. They're not for everybody. There are plenty of less expensive options out there. However, if you meant what you wrote, which is that I am charging too much for what they are (by "a lot"), then I take personal offense to that. It's not just a shot at me and my ethics, but also a shot at the intelligence of my customers. I'll tell you this. If you take an ARB system, for example, and add all the accessories- fridge slide, trim kit, divider, shelf, cargo barrier- all of it, my systems cost more than that to make. Does that give you some idea why they are priced the way they are?

A decent "starter" set of commercial drawers with a slide will easily hit 2 grand. Add extra drawers and what would need to be a custom barrier and it adds up fast.

Not everyone can afford a Rolls Royce. They exist none-the-less.

Like a Rolls, there is no way I could afford one of these but I still appreciate it.

It is a luxury item so I don't think any price would be unethical. It is a nice piece of furniture, ask what you want for it and I hope you sell a thousand of them and more. I really do think it is the nicest set I have seen by far.

I really just took offense at your tone in this forum, that is all.

My apologies. I'm not very good at candy coating things. I just want this thread to stay relevant, unlike many other threads. As I said, I can't force anything, I'm just asking as a courtesy to keep it to discussing the product and the application.

I think they look very nice, but they also seem a bit (a lot) overpriced.
I really just took offense at your tone in this forum, that is all.

This guy has busted his ass to produce the best drawer system available. He's taken it from the drawing board to reality and is now offering it on the market. There is hundreds of hours of work behind making this system a reality, and you're gonna take offense when David stands up to some ignorant criticism?

He's also busted his ass to make a product for the 80-series, which hasn't been in production for 20 years and which doesn't see a lot of new quality aftermarket products.

I would also get really annoyed by people (who know little to nothing about drawers) telling me my product is "overpriced" or providing some other useless feedback.

I'm sure David can stand up for himself, but I'm a little surprised that some forum members feel it necessary to criticize something without:

1. Ever seeing or using it in person
2. Understanding the workmanship and materials required
3. Comparing it to similar systems and setups

It would be a shame if we discouraged the production of quality aftermarket products because they aren't dirt cheap and made in China.

/rant

Anyway - Back on topic:

I can send photos of the back of my HDJ81 with all the carpet removed so you get an idea of mount points and layout. Would that help?

HDJ81's have same layout as US trucks for the tie-down points, they just don't have the 3rd row pockets or threaded holes.

As I said, I was not knocking the quality of the drawers but was put off by the tone of the thread. Bash me if you want, but I won't be around to respond anymore.

80 series tech used to be just that, tech. Now it seems like a running infomercial with a bunch of new folks that don't remember when obvious for sale threads were frowned upon here and all discussion was welcomed.

Y'all have fun with it.

This guy has busted his ass to produce the best drawer system available. He's taken it from the drawing board to reality and is now offering it on the market. There is hundreds of hours of work behind making this system a reality, and you're gonna take offense when David stands up to some ignorant criticism?

He's also busted his ass to make a product for the 80-series, which hasn't been in production for 20 years and which doesn't see a lot of new quality aftermarket products.

I would also get really annoyed by people (who know little to nothing about drawers) telling me my product is "overpriced" or providing some other useless feedback.

I'm sure David can stand up for himself, but I'm a little surprised that some forum members feel it necessary to criticize something without:

1. Ever seeing or using it in person
2. Understanding the workmanship and materials required
3. Comparing it to similar systems and setups

It would be a shame if we discouraged the production of quality aftermarket products because they aren't dirt cheap and made in China.

/rant

Anyway - Back on topic:

I can send photos of the back of my HDJ81 with all the carpet removed so you get an idea of mount points and layout. Would that help?

That would be very helpful, thank you!!

HDJ81's have same layout as US trucks for the tie-down points, they just don't have the 3rd row pockets or threaded holes.

Good info, thanks. As far as you know is the interior, i.e. side wall trim the same through the models?

Since this is Tech a product introduction and technical forum for questions is appropriate. Looks like a great product

Please work any sales questions directly (PM) of via a sale thread in the Vendors section

Have you pulled the carpet to confirm? I only ask as I've sold my product to people with non north american specs truck, no third row, but the captured nuts for the third row grab handles were present under the headliner.

Great looking set-up! My question is about sleeping in the back. With the fridge on the left, and 3 drawers on the right, how hard is it to get ready to sleep? Do them drawers come down easily, and is there something like a filler panel to go over fridge slot? I want to sleep 2 adults in the back.... is it possible? And if so..... is it a pita to prepare/stow? Thanks!

If you can spend $4.5k on drawers, then logically you have RTT or Teardrop Travel Trailers by Camp-Inn
I'm not just spouting off either, I built my own drawers/sleeper platform and my Teardrop is in process.

What is an estimated weight of the pictured configuration?

If your filling it, I would imagine adding Air Lift springs for a measly $100

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom