TRD Supercharger Kit (1 Viewer)

Is the supercharger kit for 4.0L V6 a good upgrade?

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Has anyone installed Toyota's TRD supercharger kit1 on a Tacoma 4.0L V6? Any opinions?
Toyota's Wording:
"Boost power and performance with the available TRD intercooled supercharger kit1 for Tacoma’s 4.0L V6 engine. The system produces nearly 60 extra horsepower at 5400 rpm and 52 lb.-ft. of torque at just 3600 rpm. Includes all necessary hardware and instructions for a "factory-installed" appearance."

The TRD kit is nice, but I think you can do better for the money.
Check out urdusa.com

Yeah, of all the research I've done, the supercharger kit wasn't really worth it for the amount of expenses

I've contemplated this myself. I saw a used factory TRD supercharger with all necessary components. It just seems like I could swap in a GM 4.3 or find a Toyota 4.7 V8 for around the same amount of money.

I've contemplated this myself. I saw a used factory TRD supercharger with all necessary components. It just seems like I could swap in a GM 4.3 or find a Toyota 4.7 V8 for around the same amount of money.

The GM 4.3 maybe.
The Toyota 4.7 not likely.

The Gm motors have tons of aftermarket support. You can go to any one of a number of different retail sites and get parts to run a GM motor. Hell, you can get a stand alone ECU and wiring harness directly from GM.

With the 4.7, you will need the wiring diagrams of both vehicles, and the knowledge and expertise on how to splice them together. -not really rocket surgery, but thats alot more time than I feel is really necessary. The Supercharger kits are designed to bolt in with minimal fuss.

Also, with the 4.7, its a bit more complicated to run a manual transmission (if that is your preference). You need a custom bellhousing and flywheel, and a bunch of different parts to make it all work together, not to mention tricking the ecu to still 'think' that you have an auto still.

All doable, but at the end of the day, you can have more horsepower for less money and time with a GM swap.

That said, I'd rather keep it all toyota if at all possible.

I am assuming that you have the 3.4 and not the 4.0 like the OP. Why would you replace the 5VZ with a 4.3 Vortec? The 5VZ has the same amount of HP as the 4.3? When you add up the cost of the 4.3, the adapter and the other stuff, you will have more than a used 5VZ supercharger. The 5VZ supercharger can be installed in an hour.

As for the 4.0 supercharger it would give the Tacoma pound for pound more horsepower than the 5.7 Tundra. I have been thinking about it but I drive a lot and filling up with premium every time doesn't sound fun.

I am assuming that you have the 3.4 and not the 4.0 like the OP. Why would you replace the 5VZ with a 4.3 Vortec? The 5VZ has the same amount of HP as the 4.3? When you add up the cost of the 4.3, the adapter and the other stuff, you will have more than a used 5VZ supercharger. The 5VZ supercharger can be installed in an hour.

As for the 4.0 supercharger it would give the Tacoma pound for pound more horsepower than the 5.7 Tundra. I have been thinking about it but I drive a lot and filling up with premium every time doesn't sound fun.

Very interesting. Yes, I do have the 5VZ. I had never looked at the HP numbers. I guess the 4.3 always seemed like such a snotty little engine. And I just assumed the 4.3 could be done for cheaper. That is why I post in forums like this! So people with more knowledge than me can come save me from myself!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom