Transmission Cooler (Radiator) Upgrade (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Been over a year now since I installed a larger transmission cooler with a thermostat and a cooling fan. Since I've had it running without trouble, thought I'd post it here.. could be useful for those towing or getting stuck in hot climates.

Used to overheat transmission oil. Now, even with the much bigger cooler, the fan kicks in and keeps things under control.

1588409946042.png

Interesting. What were you doing when you’d overheat the ATF? Towing heavy? And just how hot was it getting?

You get a message on the dash indicating overheating, transmission puts itself in neutral (IIRC), asks you to wait till it cools down.
Not towing, rather using crawl to get out of sand during hot weather. Oil temp would be around 250 Fahrenheit.

That is the weakness of the stock system. The main cooler is off to the side and receives no cooling airflow from the radiator fan, ever, which can be detrimental at low speeds. The Tundra had a similar design from 2007 - 2010. After replacing enough transmissions, Toyota moved the cooler up in front of the radiator where it can be cooled by the radiator fan. The benefit of having it off to side, is that the air is not preheated before hitting the AC and radiator.

Interesting mod.

I wonder if middle east 200-series have a different configuration or fan. They're predominant off-roading is crawling in the sand.

IIRC, the 100-series had an aux fan like you added in earlier model years. Later ones didn't get it. Or maybe it was a USDM specific tailoring?

All models get the same cooler design. Older cold area models don't get the top cooler at all, only with the smaller lower cooler at the water radiator.

Could we just put a fan on the stock trans cooler core? The issue isn’t the size of the core itself, right?

Could we just put a fan on the stock trans cooler core? The issue isn’t the size of the core itself, right?
Airing the original cooler will do the job. Very tight for a decent fan though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom