Transfer case and gearbox oil plug locations? (pics) (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi folks. Having a bit of a hard time finding the fill plugs for my 1985 2h manual.

I've found the two drain plugs but I cant seem to locate the fill plugs. I've attached some photos and circled the possible locations, can you tell me which one they possibly are? My silly gregorys manual has no mention of them.

thanks -

IMG_20180708_172024.jpg

IMG_20180708_172211.jpg

I couldnt see any other location for gearbox filler. That bolt is on the left hand side and has a cable running from it ? Thanks

Last edited:
This t/case has a bypass hose bolted into the fill hole

5-speed-transmission-h55f-23.jpg

transfer case.jpg

One way to remember is that transmission and t/cases are never filled to the top. So the filler plug is at the same height as the maximum fill level to stop you overfilling them. So they are roughly halfway between the highest and lowest points of the casings.
One of those bypass hoses is not a bad investment for an aging gearbox.

thanks rosco, so that rules out the red fella. I don't think my t-case is the same as that one though. I removed the yellow bolt and on the inside of the bolt it had a spring which depresses some rod inside the thread. I don't know why. Would this be the filler for the t-case?

The purple circle is around half way up the gearbox bellhousing on the left side. Was quite hard to reach as access was blocked by the exhaust. Couldn't really see any other possible bolts though.

Both drain plugs are 24mm.. Should the fill plugs be also ?

Cheers again, you're always around to help mate you're an asset!

The purple circle I think is an electrical switch, for reverse? You can see the wire coming out of it.
Im pretty sure I have the right filler plugs but it always looks different laying on your back underneath.
The reason I think that is the same tcase as yours is because it has the by pass hose to cope with a problem these transmissions have. Its looking at it from behind.
You must be able to see the speedo cable next to it?

I dont recall seeing a spring on the filler plug (my motorbike has them).

All the filling is done from the left hand (passenger side in australia) because thats the easiest way to get to the filler plugs.
I forget the size of the filler plug hex, I used aftermarket which are a different size.

is your drain plug on the very bottom of your t-case (as shown below). I only ask because I did heaps of searching on this subject before posting and couldnt find any similar t-cases with drain plug on bottom. My gearbox drain plug is also on the very bottom, just forward (closer to the front of car) of the t-case drain plug.

tcase2.jpg

drain plug is the white circle. the fill plug is, when facing the front of the vehicle, is on the back "wall" and to the left about 1/3 of the way up from the bottom, both 24mm. Transmission drain is in center-back-bottom of the transmission and aimed towards the back. The fill is on the left side, yellow circle in the pic of the H55F.

thanks coldtaco and rosco! I found the fill plugs. Turns out I do have the bypass installed like roscos pic above. I was thrown off by the bypass tube and the fact that the bypass bolt is smaller than 24mm (non-standard). Thanks!

thanks coldtaco and rosco! I found the fill plugs. Turns out I do have the bypass installed like roscos pic above.!

That makes it easy because the bypass hose goes from filler plug to filler plug

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom