Trans Swap I am looking into. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
There are adapters to go from a GM auto to the HF2A/V tcases..

There are adapters to mount a NV4500 manual to the 1FZFE but nothing for the transfer case to the NV4500...

I'd prefer a properly built GM auto as getting a manual to handle the power and mount to a T-case may not be possible.

You cant put a t-case on a pony car tremec, the NV5600 is giant and is obsolete (mercedes 6 spd behind diesels now).

I prefer an auto anyway for desert running and just street driving. The big truck manuals are bleeping huge and balky shifting.

So I was looking at a friends mopar that had an interesting transmission. It was a TH400 bolted to a hemi. The bellhousing of the TH400 was cut off and an aftermarket SFI Approved (scattersheild) bellhousing is bolted on using longer transmission pump bolts. It is called an ultra-bell.

An installation here.
Changing Th-350 bell-housing to Ultra Bell - Chevelle Tech

There is no toyota ultra bell but the bell housing on my A343 unbolts and is secured by a ring of bolts just outside the trans pumps ring of bolts.

:idea:So I am thinking why not cut the bell housing off of a 4L80E then make a plate to bolt to the pump that will mate with the A343 bell housing..

Once again I find I am not the first to have the idea. Some supras come with the A343 and they got tired of broken sprags. So SoundPerformance did just that. They cut off the 4l80E bellhousing and bolt on a CNC adapter plate then bolt the toyota transmissions bell housing to the adapter.

Supraforums.com - View Single Post - It's HERE!!!! 4L80E for the Supra.

So now I need to see about getting just the adapter plate and tq converter setup. A 4l80E can be built to take over 1000hp.

I will look at the total cost of this. If it is not to bad I will stick with turbo charging the 1FZFE. If it gets spendy I think I will dump the 1FZ-FE and put in a built LS2 Backed by a 4L80E..

Last edited:
You are the man. It just makes since to me to spend the money fit the 4l80. The trans is proven and you don't have to spend 7000 plus shipping to achieve performance. A442F is ok but 4l80 can do more in stock form then the modded A442F.

I think this kit will help i think.

FJ80 Auto

Yeah I have seen those.

Still waiting to hear back from sound performance. I did find out that their DIY TH400 kit for supras is $1499 but this includes a bunch of stuff that we don't need.

You guys have been asking for this for a long time so here it is. All the parts you will need to put a TH400 tranny in your own car. I will supply the bellhousing adapter, the driveshaft, driveshaft adapter, rear trans support adapter, and electronics for the speedo. All these parts are billet cnc made. All you will need is a TH400, factory TT bellhousing, torque converter and shifter of your choice.

From the kit we just need a bell housing adapter since the speedo gear is on our tcase and the rest of the stuff wont be needed... We will need to get a hybrid tq converter, shifter and a full manual valve body kit like the Transgo 4L80E-3 FMVB. But if :princess: would not like the manual shift auto a PCS trancontroller can go in. PCS - Powertrain Control Solutions - Transmission Control

Last edited:
Last edited:
Here is an nonelectric 4l80e

4L80E Performance Transmission from PATC ,4L80E

I have search alot and there are some much more support for the 4l80e than the A442. And we all know when there is little support means high prices.

Here an electric 4l80e. This is when you aint playing.

TCI Auto: 6x Six-Speed GM 4L80E Automatic Transmission Package (850hp)

A lot of that is hype.

You can make any 4L80E operate as a sixspeed like that. It just spiting shifts with the overdrive gear. 1, 1+OD, 2, 2 +OD then the std 3 and 4 gears makes 6 gears. Its all in the electronic controller. AEM EMS and Big Stuff III can contol an engine and do this with the trans.

The full manual 4L80E just has a full manual valve body. The stock 4L80E has no mechanical kickdown so a vaccum modulator is added as a half cheeked attempt at replacing what the ECU did controling a line pressure modulating solenoid. The full manual is a harsh manual shift with inprecise pressure control. There is also no way to use a lock up converter apart from wiring the lockup to a switch.

FYI.....There are plenty of 800hp 4L80E sucess stories where the only modification is a transgo shift kit. A trans build up kit.. clutches and kolene steels etc... and a couple of hard parts upgrades will bring the limit up considerably. Art Carr, Culhane,Rossler and Bowler transmission companies are all places I would go to before any of those. Culhane has built a bunch of real SCORE trophy truck transmissions!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom