Trails in Grand Rapids area (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Visiting GR with my new to me 96 LX 450 and was hoping to get my rig off pavement for the first time. Stock, so nothing crazy. Anyone with recommendations within an hour or so of GR? I checked the state maps and didn't see anything "official." Depending on what there might be closer I'm still deciding on whether or not to take the 450 onto the dunes in Silver Lake or rent a buggy.

Appreciate any help

Yankee Springs, I know a few guys that have went and enjoyed it. Should be pretty close to an hour out of GR, if not a touch over. Couple hours north of GR and there are tons, even in just Newaygo County which isn’t far.

2nd on Yankee Springs area. South of GR so easy for you to get there. “Seasonal” roads so you never know what you’ll get. With the lack of rain it might he kinda tame. Still it would be fun. There is a giant void between there and at least Newaygo. Then it is infinite. Good luck!

Yankee springs, allegan state game area are both good options about 45 min south of GR. If you need onxoff maps or ideas shoot me a message

Visiting GR with my new to me 96 LX 450 and was hoping to get my rig off pavement for the first time. Stock, so nothing crazy. Anyone with recommendations within an hour or so of GR? I checked the state maps and didn't see anything "official." Depending on what there might be closer I'm still deciding on whether or not to take the 450 onto the dunes in Silver Lake or rent a buggy.

Appreciate any help
Also on the silver lake note: don’t be overly intimidated by the pictures of test hill and other big dunes, you can navigate about 60% of the park in a 2wd pick up with tires aired down. You can get to the beach, drag strip and bathrooms in a VW bug.

The section from test hill to the exit ramp can be difficult your first time out and hard on your truck if you misjudge speeds going over the top of the dunes or the run up at the base, but everyone is really friendly and people seem to be happy to give tips and share conditions.

I love the dunes i think it’s one of the most enjoyable places to drive off-road

Also on the silver lake note: don’t be overly intimidated by the pictures of test hill and other big dunes, you can navigate about 60% of the park in a 2wd pick up with tires aired down. You can get to the beach, drag strip and bathrooms in a VW bug.

The section from test hill to the exit ramp can be difficult your first time out and hard on your truck if you misjudge speeds going over the top of the dunes or the run up at the base, but everyone is really friendly and people seem to be happy to give tips and share conditions.

I love the dunes i think it’s one of the most enjoyable places to drive off-road
This is accurate.... a good time. Test hill is a hurdle and get a flag but other than that is a worth a day trip. Bring food and a great way to spend a day on a 4x4 and have access to the water too.

Yankee springs, allegan state game area are both good options about 45 min south of GR. If you need onxoff maps or ideas shoot me a message
hey @VSPro9 (or anyone else) - I'll be near Saugatuck in August with a bunch of college friends & families, sort of a reunion where we all pretend to be 20 again (and feel it the next day). Some of the guys want to go offroading so I'll bring the cruisers. I use Gaia, do you have any tracks/routes you can share in the Allegan state game area? I take it that's the only area of two tracks close to Saugatuck. Thanks!

hey @VSPro9 (or anyone else) - I'll be near Saugatuck in August with a bunch of college friends & families, sort of a reunion where we all pretend to be 20 again (and feel it the next day). Some of the guys want to go offroading so I'll bring the cruisers. I use Gaia, do you have any tracks/routes you can share in the Allegan state game area? I take it that's the only area of two tracks close to Saugatuck. Thanks!
I have some marked in onX

Appreciate any help
I realize this trip may have already happened and I know there are many reasons you may not want to take the LX into Silver Lake, but........one of them is not capability. The stock LX will do just fine on squishy tires and you'll enjoy almost all of the area. In addition to driving around yourself, it's very entertaining to watch so many others in weird vehicles try to take themselves out of the gene pool. There is a place to air up right outside the exit at a ORV outfitter. You need an ORV permit, state park sticker, and flag.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom