Trailer help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Bought Russ's old trailer last spring. Price was right but it needed a few things.
No brakes, simple just convert to electric brakes. So I thought. Trailer is an old U-Haul and nothing on it is a normal size. I couldn't find hubs or backing plates that would fit the axles that were on there. Different size spindle and bolt pattern for the plates.
Bought 2 new Dexter electric brake axles, got the E-Z lube option for the bearings. Had to cut the spring mounts off and weld new perches back on. There was a 1/2" difference. Springs are just a bit wider than most trailer axles so I had to adjust the u-bolt plates also.
Lights didn't work so I just bought all new LED's and have them mounted. Still need to wire the lights to the plug (had to put a 7 prong plug in too) and the electric brakes.
Big question I have is where I should put d-rings so I can tie the 40 to the rig.

P1020595.JPG

P1020597.JPG

P1020598.JPG

Not one suggestion?

How did Russ secure the Jeep on it?

Wow that's a short trailer, I would say if your going to secure the front where you have it (which is probably where you should) I think I would add a brace from one side to the other and crisscross the straps

Wow that's a short trailer, I would say if your going to secure the front where you have it (which is probably where you should) I think I would add a brace from one side to the other and crisscross the straps
Yeah and to think I fit my 80 on one once. Crazy!

I see 2 d-rings in the rear that are fine to use going to the axle. The one d-ring in the front center looks ok too. I worry more about the load coming loose during a panic stop than under "hard acceleration" while towing. So having better strapping points on the rear matters more to me. I might add a couple straps to keep the front from moving side to side during a panic maneuver but otherwise what you have looks good from here.

Nick

I tend to air on the side of caution, although it would probably be fine I would not use a single point up front.

How about D rings under each axle. Strap the front axle back to the rear D rings and the rear axle forward to the front D rings. I've seen this done before on a short trailer.

Things that make you go "Hummm", that is interesting Gary I would have never thought of that, never seen it that either, Not a bad idea although I think I would do some research,,,

I tend to air on the side of caution, although it would probably be fine I would not use a single point up front.
I have a trailer that has one BIG d-ring in the middle rear. I have hauled many cars and Cruisers on that trailer to that single point in the rear with zero issues. It is also a short trailer but not quite as short as the one in this thread. A single point, sized and attached correctly, is just fine from my experience.

Nick

Yeah and to think I fit my 80 on one once. Crazy!
I just towed a 80 I bought from New Jersey on one of those trailers from insult 2 wks ago . But it was the bigger one they make 2 models I think there's the same size but one has bigger axels maybe a tad wider it world out just fine . Yo

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom