trac control VSC (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Are all fj's equipped with this? I do not like it and is there a way to turn it off without going to 4 wheel? You spin a tire when it rains or get in the mud on the edge of your drive way and the rpm's drop to idle, NO GOOD. I almost got hit pulling out in a hurry spun a wheel and the engine dies, NO FUN. But it looks good sitting next to my worked over 73 FJ40 of 23 years.

Are all fj's equipped with this? I do not like it and is there a way to turn it off without going to 4 wheel? You spin a tire when it rains or get in the mud on the edge of your drive way and the rpm's drop to idle, NO GOOD. I almost got hit pulling out in a hurry spun a wheel and the engine dies, NO FUN. But it looks good sitting next to my worked over 73 FJ40 of 23 years.

If your VSC is working like you say it is, there is something very wrong with it. Take it to the dealer immediately. VSC like A-Trac, modulates power and or braking, but it should not kill the engine. If you spun a wheel till you red-lined the motor, then the rev limiter may have kicked in.

Last edited:

something's not right... go to dealer... Should not be doing that crap

VSC is the Vehicle Stability Control System. That is not what you are describing. You are describing the TRAC system which will apply individual brakes and cut engine power during wheel slippage. (in 4LO with A-Trac engaged, the individual brakes will be applied but the engine power will not be modulated).

You can install a switch to control both TRAC and the VSC. There are many threads about these items. Here are but 2 of them.

Install of VSC cancel switch - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum

disable traction control? - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum

DEWFPO

Yes that trac stuff sucks if your not on dry pavement and learned to drive before video games. Just go out in the pasture step on the gas and start turning and accelerating you will be at idle long before red line due to the trac stuff killing the engine oh and watch out for the wood pile because the vsc is trying to make you go straight ahead. It just knows you want to go straight and would never spin a tire on purpose. I almost wrecked my fj the first day, under 50 miles on it thinkin I'll just hit the gas and swing the rear end around, about 45 degrees and sliding straight to the woodpile gas pedal on the floor engine just above idle. After my heart started again I put it in 4 low and its a whole different animal with that crap off but the front wheels powered cuts down on the power turn fun. In 2 wd i can beat my fj on my gocart track with my town car hands down. If it was for money I think my 6.5 hp gocarts could beat it due to the tight turns and if you start pushing the fj, trac kicks in and you go right off the track. but yank the connector off the master cylinder and its FJ all day!!!

Yes that trac stuff sucks if your not on dry pavement and learned to drive before video games. Just go out in the pasture step on the gas and start turning and accelerating you will be at idle long before red line due to the trac stuff killing the engine oh and watch out for the wood pile because the vsc is trying to make you go straight ahead. It just knows you want to go straight and would never spin a tire on purpose. I almost wrecked my fj the first day, under 50 miles on it thinkin I'll just hit the gas and swing the rear end around, about 45 degrees and sliding straight to the woodpile gas pedal on the floor engine just above idle. After my heart started again I put it in 4 low and its a whole different animal with that crap off but the front wheels powered cuts down on the power turn fun. In 2 wd i can beat my fj on my gocart track with my town car hands down. If it was for money I think my 6.5 hp gocarts could beat it due to the tight turns and if you start pushing the fj, trac kicks in and you go right off the track. but yank the connector off the master cylinder and its FJ all day!!!

Awesome story, funny as hell. I guess I don't ever try that crap unless I'm in 4Hi and out wheelin'.

A dose of perspective is in order here.

Take off your Skoll baseball cap, and put on your inch thick engineer's glasses. VSC and A Trac are safety devices, NOT go play in the yard devices. They are for the road conditions encountered by the average driver and will save your ass when the idiot in front of you slams on their brakes on wet pavement or you try to swerve to miss him. But, they can take the fun out of driving, particularly if you are in the "Tokyo Drift" crowd.

Personally, I've never had problems with the engine cutting out on me, but then I guess I don't try to drift my FJC. I have had the breaks act up on as if I was out of control when I wasn't, just because I hit a little bump while stoping or tried to stop a little faster then it thought I should.

This is what happens when you try to drive crazy in an FJC:

Sidebar Video

i like the technology...maybe because my drifting days and stuff are behind me...but love the extra security and stability on road....and the reliability offroad with extra traction.

you can always get a 2wd truck for playing in a field and doing doughnuts....LOL

If your VSC is working like you say it is, there is something very wrong with it. Take it to the dealer immediately. VSC like A-Trac, modulates power and or braking, but it should not kill the engine. If you spun a wheel till you red-lined the motor, then the rev limiter may have kicked in.
Yeah, for sure something is wrong. I think the VSC shuts off when the vehicke is put into 4wd. haven't wheeled mine much except in the snow and never noticed any trouble. Mine is a 6 MT don't know about the autos.

Woodeye

If I am not mistaken......

the VSC on my vehicle works differently since it is a MANUAL transmission and therefore it is FULL TIME 4WD.

I do not feel it trying to overcompensate at anytime and if I want I just throw it into 4L (which is the same as 4H but with the VSC off......4LL is the low range.) which is the same as 4H but without the VSC. From what I understand I can still use it on-road, since the center diffs never completely lock anyway.

I have heard that the real FJ's handling comes out in the MANUAL transmission and that's why I bought it. Not putting down the AUTOMATIC at all, but in this particular case the VSC might be a better fit for the MANUAL FJ than the AUTOMATIC FJ, which is in 2WD for normal driving.

Just a layman's educated theory.

the VSC on my vehicle works differently since it is a MANUAL transmission and therefore it is FULL TIME 4WD.

I do not feel it trying to overcompensate at anytime and if I want I just throw it into 4L (which is the same as 4H but with the VSC off......4LL is the low range.) which is the same as 4H but without the VSC. From what I understand I can still use it on-road, since the center diffs never completely lock anyway.

I have heard that the real FJ's handling comes out in the MANUAL transmission and that's why I bought it. Not putting down the AUTOMATIC at all, but in this particular case the VSC might be a better fit for the MANUAL FJ than the AUTOMATIC FJ, which is in 2WD for normal driving.

Amen Brother, I love the way my MT6 handles, especially in the rain and snow. I must admit, it would be fun from time to time to be able to throw the rear end around just for fun like my old Bronco and Wrangler could. The FJ is sooooo much more than those were I'll sacrifice the playing.

gonna have to agree with this one for sure. In mud or slick condition, not in 4L, with the MT I never run into engine stall. The tires wont spin, but I gain speed as the tires gather traction. Its a slower process, not as much fun as thowing up mud in 4L, but it works. Of course if you ever loose traction, just move to 4L and get yourself out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom