TOYOTA DYNA BU212R 15B-F - 15B-FT Conversion (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Good evening Folks,
I have a TOYOTA 2001 Dyna BU212R that has been in the family for quite a few years now.
Unfortunately it was borrowed and ingested some water and ended up with a fractured cylinder block.
With a new baby and moving house it was 11 months or so until I could remove and strip the engine.

I found a 15B-FT (Presumably) at a local Brisbane engine importer recently and have found several interesting details.
My original engine is a 15B-F (non turbo) Australian delivered, it has a Denso rotary pump.
The supplied engine had an oddball Denso pump that research shows was originally fitted to an ISUZU N/ELF 1997-on 4JG2.
On strip down it is evident that persons unknown have drilled and tapped the rear of the case to fit this ISUZU pump.

15B-F Original non turbo motor15B Import turbo
DENSO Injector pump
  • 22100-5C120
  • VE4/12F1695RND006
  • 196000-0062 4
DENSO Injector pump (incorrect)
  • 8-97120481-0
  • VE12F195ORND131
  • 196000-1310 1
Flywheel 8 bolt M13 with no dowelFlywheel 8 bolt M14 with dowel
Timing case has 2 bolt idler gear with idler gear diameter of 110.7mmTiming case has 3 bolt idler gear with idler gear diameter of 131.7mm
Water pump 118 mm from base to flange Water pump 138 mm from base to flange

After examining the timing cases it is evident that I cannot swap over the front or rear of the front split timing cases - The distance of the idler gear from the Crank/Cam shafts negates this possibility.

What I need is to identify what pump this import turbo 15B would have had originally?
Any support or feedback is appreciated

Also, apologies if this initial post is in the incorrect forum or has the wrong flavour as an intro post

IMG_20220306_182755.jpg

IMG_20220306_182746.jpg

IMG_4155.jpg

IMG_4156.jpg

IMG_4164.jpg

There have been some 15B-FTEs badly converted to mechanically controlled rotary pumps knocking about. Without seeing the engine I can't be sure but I suspect what you have is just that, an engine which was previously electronically controlled, with a bodged-on Isuzu rotary pump. It looks like the injection pump has no boost compensator which is a giveaway that it did not even come from a factory turbo application.

There is a Facebook page on 15BF* engine conversions; a guy in Australia got just such an engine and after some deliberation chose to return it to the engine supplier for a refund. Perhaps you have just bought that very engine.

This engine would have originally had an electronically controlled fuel injection pump (along with an ECU and a host of sensors). You could try swapping your 15B-F injector pump to see if it runs, you would really want to add a boost compensator though to match of-boost fuelling. Does the injection pump drive gear on the new engine accept the front drive spline from the 15B-F pump>

If you can, I would return the engine and look for a straight 15B-F swap. And join the 15B conversion FB page.

EO

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom