Toyota 3B starter question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 3B that I have swapped into a project. I am in the process of installing a new wiring harness from bumper to bumper (painless harness). I got the wiring harness with the engine (BJ60) which is where my confusion comes from. The starter motor pretty clearly has a solenoid on it. The wiring harness also has a starter solenoid. Completely confused by this. I will say the wiring from the starter solenoid to the starter solenoid on the starter is probably 10 gauge so its heavy. The reason I ask is that the wiring for the painless harness will handle 15 amps but the extra solenoid makes me think the solenoid on the starter must need some real amperage to work. Does anyone know. Trying to avoid putting the "factory smoke" back in the box when I turn the key the first time!

The wire on my starter is very thick. mine is a bj42 24 volt and looks like this.
20210106_213609.jpg

I have a 3B that I have swapped into a project. I am in the process of installing a new wiring harness from bumper to bumper (painless harness). I got the wiring harness with the engine (BJ60) which is where my confusion comes from. The starter motor pretty clearly has a solenoid on it. The wiring harness also has a starter solenoid. Completely confused by this. I will say the wiring from the starter solenoid to the starter solenoid on the starter is probably 10 gauge so its heavy. The reason I ask is that the wiring for the painless harness will handle 15 amps but the extra solenoid makes me think the solenoid on the starter must need some real amperage to work. Does anyone know. Trying to avoid putting the "factory smoke" back in the box when I turn the key the first time!
The 3B starter wiring is really heavy duty because the solenoid can draw up to 30 amps so it should be at least 12awg.

The 3B starter wiring is really heavy duty because the solenoid can draw up to 30 amps so it should be at least 12awg.
Thanks everyone for the replies. 30 amps is surprising but it makes sense. I will go ahead and add a solenoid to my solenoid equipped starter to handle the load since the wire supplied by painless is limited to 15 amps. Thanks again!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom