Towing (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Josey1972

SILVER Star
Threads
I’m getting around to figuring out the towing receiver for the Tundra. Anybody have a preferred set up or lessons learned?

Que? You put the hitch in the hole and then you put the pin in to hold it. It’s pretty straightforward.
I was more wondering about a half ton truck pulling a car hauler. Didn’t know if it was worth going with a stabilizer hitch or the like. I meant to look at set ups at Hoedown and forgot.

I haul without any extras.
Position the vehicle correctly is key.

Got it.

Too far forward it overloads the truck.
Too far back, you get fish tailing ( sway).
Working trailer brakes are important.

Trailer brakes and airbags are good when hauling a 5500 pig. Most cars neither are needed, although generally appreciated. The tundra is a tow beast. It has nothing in common with a half ton truck from back when those numbers meant anything.
I dont think I’ll pull the 80 with the Tundra. Between the trailer and the truck it will put me at the Tundras limit or maybe above. Besides, I have the 2500 so no need to beat up on the Tundra. I can pull the 80 comfortably at 75 on the 2500. When I got the Tundra I put a tougher leaf on the back in anticipation of a travel trailer, boat, hauling the mini out to the Rubicon.... I have these great ideas and no time to make them happen....

I'd put bags in the rear before adding a leaf. Rather have it ride nice for daily use and just add air when needed. Firestone bag setup is pretty well priced

I agree with everything above. The one "must" should be properly functioning trailer brakes with a controller in the truck. Outside of that the air bags would be nice but sway bars are never needed unless you are loaded improperly.

I agree with everything above. The one "must" should be properly functioning trailer brakes with a controller in the truck. Outside of that the air bags would be nice but sway bars are never needed unless you are loaded improperly.
Thanks. I’ve got some heavier leafs on it.

Bags make the most sense to me and make the truck feel much more planted and sure. The Tundra won't care much towing the 80. Sway control isn't really for open car haulers. Open car haulers don't suffer from sway unless you are tongue light. Boxes can get blown around and start to sway.

Don't be one of these guys that think the lower the rpm the better. I never towed in 6th, usually 5th, and if Im just going to chill in the right lane with the cruise on, under 70, 4th. The truck and especially the trans are much happier, and its more pleasant, no crazy down shifts from the cruise control.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom