Toolbox ideas (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.myspace.com
I thought it would be kind of interesting to see what everyone out there uses for toolboxes in their cruisers. I use a Howitzer ammo can my dad got from the British Royal Marines when he was in USMC, it works great.

On the top of the rear fenders

I place these $10 Home Depot specials, use the rear seatbelts to hold them in place, can access tools or remove the entire box without having to remove all the camping gear loaded into the rear of the rig, helps make more timely trail repairs or adjustments.

in my 60

i'm planning on using some old heavy duty card file drawers, that i got when my wifes granma died.
they are old school post office card file holders from waaaaaay back when.

sorry no pics :frown:

I have an army "surplus" canvas bag for sockets and stuff up to a couple feet in length. Wrenches are rolled up in a canvas roll up deal I found at Sears, and stuck in a tool "purse" (those canvas bags with the opening mouths you see everywhere) along with all the rest of the tools not in the socket bag. I like the soft bags better.

I also have two ammo boxes that my dad picked up somewhere in the service.

Used A/C foam weatherstripping to pad the handles from bouncing around.

Speaking of old ammo cans, be sure to spray over any markings on the boxes. I have a multitude of old, and some are REALLY friggin' old ammo cans and artillery boxes, which I use as storage containers and which were acquired either through surplus shops or from family members once in the military. I never thought to spray paint over the words, "munitions" or "projectiles", or anything like that. My wife and I had a guy out to remove some asbestos from our old ducts, and while he was in the garage, he noticed I had a bunch of these cans. So, being a good, freedom loving paranoid a******, instead of asking me about the cans, he left without saying a word and called Homeland Security's Operation TIPS hotline. So my brother-in-law and I got to spend the afternoon handcuffed on our stomachs while the Bomb Squad evac'd a six block radius and raided our house. Since most of the boxes were locked, they just smashed them to hell until they came apart. That's when they discovered my secret arsenal of old tools, camping gear, and a vintage Canadian flag from Granddad's days in the RAF. Oh, the terrorism!!!

The cops let us go and told us we could have prevented all of this by spraypainting the boxes. Some of the boxes were wooden projectile boxes from Korean War-era surplus. They said they suspected we may have stolen them from the military. They didn't laugh when I asked them if they suspected we went back in time and stole them from the Black Sheep Squadron. Cops have no sense of humor. Nor did they understand when I told them that if I was a terrorist, and had stolen ammunition, I sure as hell wouldn't keep it in the original boxes, nor would I leave it out so that Joe A/C Moron could find it and rat me out. I guess cops assume that terrorists are dumber than they are.

Take it from good ol' Shahram--never underestimate the ill-conceived paranoia of your fellow American. Spray paint your ammo cans. Spray paint turns morons into geniuses.

Damn, that's hardcore. Fortunately, I have no markings on mine, but I have been "eyed" by the cops at the openings of the tunnels around here.

Now it's just a couple of fat-ass cops bsng, that occassionally pull over a van here and there.

Oh, damn, I almost forgot...toolbox ideas.

For lighter stuff, I like the under-the-bed plastic bins that they sell at Target or similar stores. They're stackable, durable, and easy to access.

For heavier items, I like to use Bagmasters bank and courier bags (available at www.bagproducts.com), sometimes called "flame barrier bags". They're expensive, but you'll only buy one set, as they will outlive you and your grandkids. Those things are unbelievably durable, triple-stitched straps, ballistic nylon, but flexible. They're weatherproof, fireproof, cut-resistant, practically bulletproof. I like to use bags because they conform to space, instead of dominating it. A box doesn't give; bags like these are more fluid, they fit into tighter places. Plus, they're easier to strap down, easier to extract, easier to access, easier to carry. During transport, they're silent, they don't bang up against each other, and their contents don't bounce around.
FB032.gif

wow, that asbestos guy is a dumbass, haha, my dad had to remove and destroy all kinds of ammo cans with artillery simulations and dummy grenades and stuff from my grandmothers garage before someone found out, but he had that stuff from his tbs instructor days in the Marines. When my dad was driving me to my afjrotc military ball at Ft. Jackson we had the ammo box in the back and it has all original markings on it however the mp's didn't make a big deal when the say my dad's usmc tattoo showing beneath his shirt sleeve, they just asked what was in the box and let us go......man do i love his tattoo....so useful

I use Pelican 1500 cases, waterproof, crushproof easy to pack and tie down. 2 of them hold everything I could possibly need.

What ever happend to these long 39 inch storage/tool boxes that Con-Ferr made for the FJ-40s? (About a fourth of Tuffy's price for something similar.) Seems like nobody sells them anymore. :confused:
conferrbox.jpg

Last edited:
Landcruisersteve said:
What ever happend to these long 39 inch storage/tool boxes that Con-Ferr made for the FJ-40s? (About a fourth of Tuffy's price for something similar.) Seems like nobody sells them anymore. :confused:

That's the same box I have in my 40. I keep all the "less needed" stuff in there while the tool bag and recovery bag are stacked and strapped on top of it behind the flip and fold TJ bench.

Ammo boxes, sterilite boxes, whatever...

Ed

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom