Too much rust? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys,

First post here, I apologize if this is the wrong sub.

I am going to test drive this 4runner tomorrow, it’s got 115k miles for 15k which is a great deal here in NC.

I’ve been searching for a couple of months and this is the best deal I’ve seen. I’m tempted to buy it, find someone in NC with a lift and wire brush/POR15 everything.

638169380263050334.jpg

638169380263050326.jpg

638169380263050329.jpg

638169380263050321.jpg

This looks brand new compared to my 2004 GX that's lived its entire life in Michigan.

I'd have no problem moving forward with the rust that's on this 4R.

Hard to tell from the pictures. Gas tank skid and the rear axle look like they have the worst of it?

Frame looks decent overall. My biggest worry would be how difficult those rusted bolts are going to be if/when they need to be removed for repairs or upgrades.

Thank you guys for the replies. I’m going to try to inspect the frame a little closer, we will see how the test drive goes!

You need to look inside the frame, either with a flashlight through the holes, or an inspection camera. Particularly on the PS framerail, behind the rear tire, where the AC drain line drips down onto the frame.

From the pics, I would alo be concerned with the spot in front of the rear LCA mount, on the DS. It looks like there is actual through-rust there, more than just surface rust. If it has anything more than surface rust, I'd pass on it for sure.

Even if it is just surface rust, you'll need to manage it going forward (regular undercoating treatments - Fluid Film and/or Woolwax), and should expect to break bolts when working on the suspension/drivetrain. I've successfully managed rust on my GX using this approach and have had zero rust progression over 2.5 years of ownership.

The bigger issue is that, IMO, for $15K the rig should be rust free. A rusty rig should be more like $7-10K.

Rednexus, that is great info thank you so much!

I’ve been reading this site for years and I’m blown away by how supportive this community is.

After checking this 4runner out extensively I decided against purchasing. Looking at all the bolts and studs that i would have to replace to upgrade parts just seems way too daunting.

Back on the hunt for now - if anyone has a v8 4runner/LC100/lx470/sequoia, you should bring it to North Carolina and take advantage of a sellers market. 😝

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom