To raptor line or not... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
ok, after a week of reading the Bedliner pro's and cons in the FAQ's, and doing research on line I have decided I need to, "ask the experts".
I have a '65 that I am rebuilding from the ground up, 2f/4 speed upgrade, front disc axle, and body work paint job. The inside of the tub (rear) has some rust that was cut out and the inner gender wells are ok but weren't repaired to a high standard.
So, my question is this:
Do I bedliner the inside of the tub? The truck could go back to the original motor and front axle, but I'll probably keep it til I die so resale isn't the most important factor to me. I do want to use a timetable liner to match the rig. Thoughts? Suggestions? Horror stories?
Thanks in advance!!

Horror stories are usually a result of poor surface prep and/or from using discount store coatings.

If you plan on using the truck a lot, a strong, abrasion resistant coating such as a polyurethane or polyurea Bedliner is a wise choice. It'll provide protection even from simple little things like sliding beach chairs, tools, etc... that would scratch and chip normal paint.

If you're not restoring back to original and not concerned about resale value as an original restoration the addition of a bedliner product is all pros and no cons.Surface prep,surface prep and a little more surface prep.Like any other coating.........surface prep is key.Once applied to well prepared surfaces it creates a very durable surface that holds up well to wear and tear.

If you want guaranteed tough, go polyurea as Splangly mentioned. IMO so much time goes into prep, it's worth a couple extra bills for peace mind to have it shot professionally. The underside of my tub and firewall cost $500 to Line-X. I took the underside and engine side firewall down to bare metal, put screws in all the threaded nuts, and masked off everything I didn't want coated. I brought the Line-X shop my tub on a small trailer. They called my a few hours later and said it was ready. If I had a do-over I'd have them tint it bodycolor.

Thy is one of most reoccurring themes in the FAQ's, prep is everything. I have gone to great lengths on this truck and I'm not really trying to "hide" anything, but some of the patches will look better under a coat of bedliner vs paint!
Prep work will be done at body shop by me and one of the guys that works there. I believe between what i have read and what the guys at the shop know the prep will be correct.

If you want guaranteed tough, go polyurea as Splangly mentioned. IMO so much time goes into prep, it's worth a couple extra bills for peace mind to have it shot professionally. The underside of my tub and firewall cost $500 to Line-X. I took the underside and engine side firewall down to bare metal, put screws in all the threaded nuts, and masked off everything I didn't want coated. I brought the Line-X shop my tub on a small trailer. They called my a few hours later and said it was ready. If I had a do-over I'd have them tint it bodycolor.

Tinted liner is a must for me. Any thoughts on which brand is best? This is kinda like asking which brand of oil to use!!

A good idea would be to take pictures of the damage and the repair before and after just so in the future you can show someone what was done. You never know what the future brings and I hear a lot of "what's the bed liner hiding" comments.

Monstaliner is good stuff also. I did a boat interior with it and it turned out really nice. Easy to use DIY

I used tintable Raptor in the bed and cab of my wife's 45 about 5 years ago and I just used the same thing in my just repainted 40. It holds up OK but it will scrape off easier than a professionally applied product like Line-X or Rhino Liner.

Raptor is very easy to tint and spray but it took 2 kits to do my 40.

I'm waffling back and forth on this right now. Months ago I was set to do the interior flooring in black bed liner. Two weeks ago I was set to do it in body colored tinted liner.

I did the underside of my tub last week in black and it looks so good. Crazy how easy Raptor is to apply and look pro! A fellow friend and 40 series owner that has done the interior of his tub mentioned he would not do the same in hindsight. After that I was set to not do it and just paint the interior and run a mat.

Now I'm back to doing the interior in tinted liner. Main reason is to cover up a couple repair spots and so I can just throw s*** in the back and not be worried about scratches...since it'd be bed liner'd.

FWIW, I'll be using a tintable chipguard on the floor of my resto. I like that it's smoother and less pronounced than any of the sprayable liners but still offers more protection than paint alone. On my next wheeler build, I'll use raptor liner or whatever is out when I get to that.

20170421_132316.jpg

Roma Raptor-lined my FJ40 before I bought it from him - the stuff is amazing. I'm certain he prepped the metal correctly, and I love it. Five years on and I beat on it, still looks like the day I brought it home.

Raptor all day. Prep it right and it stays tight!!!

Thanks for the great insight.

76FJ40's comment about Raptor scraping off after time is why I shy'd away from emulsified roll-on coatings. Seems there are many who are happy with it though.

Not sure who's tints are better between Line-x and Rhino.

K
76FJ40's comment about Raptor scraping off after time is why I shy'd away from emulsified roll-on coatings. Seems there are many who are happy with it though.

Not sure who's tints are better between Line-x and Rhino.

He never said it scrapes off as a result of time. He simply stated it scrapes off easier than rhino or Line-x (when force is applied)

FWIW I thin Roma sprayed the Raptor liner on my truck, don't think it was rolled on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom