To get my feet wet; first time out with the new truck (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've been on this forum 5 years it tells me; though I'm sure i was on with another user name or account long before that - Over the years and years of wanting to 'get out there' and camp with my truck (or various trucks) I finally did it over columbus day weekend.

When i started wanting what we now call 'overlanding' I had a 2006 Expedition on spacers and 34" tires; slick bumper and winch and all that. Then i moved to europe and drove a Mini. Over the last five years i've lurked on forums and facebook groups kinda emotionally-salivating to get out into the wild. I didn't even try in Europe - in Germany - because that probably does not exist. Camping is largely in what's tantamount to grass parking lots near or in cities.

6 Aug i bought at 2008 Tacoma the day after I moved back to the US of A; and it's been wonderful - super happy with it. I'd wanted and maybe still want a RTT but in the mean time I'm just fine with the sleep platform i've built in the bed - it rests on the rails of my bedslide and can be pulled out together with it - there's about 4" of storage space under it - which i'm seeing is not going to be very useful without placing things in totes at some point. Atop the platform I have two 3" latex foam toppers - and between the both of them I slept pretty well. I'm going to need some kind of cover for them long-term - or maybe I'll put them inside sleeping bags?

I also need more cargo strategy as having to remove everything from the bed of the truck to the cab (or place outside) is kind of a pain in the butt.

So - i have things i need to work out for sure. But getting out there and starting was the whole point of my two-overnight trip.

My route took me from the OKC area across to and past Fort Smith AR - then up State route 71, then east towards Forest Service road 124. The road was tight in places and I ended up unable to pass one tough section - I didn't need 4x4 for the sections i drove, although at a few places i was SHOCKED the truck made it, so am underestimating the tires and truck ability - I'm pretty sure if i'd had a winch I would have kept going through the tough section but am going to keep erring on the side of caution when out there.

121294549_640272743339617_1178892402115879226_n.jpg

121312512_662366584710159_1376837363128081873_n.jpg

121331840_312749483066877_6326379023918519366_n.jpg

121425468_734432680471491_4965162200239471187_n.jpg

121462396_337665987520273_6346132033275717635_n.jpg

Last edited:
Glad you were able to get out after all that time. Sounds like your in the Oachitas? I've sent some time between Ft Smith and Hot Springs in prior years - beautiful country, plenty to explore.

I use Aire Land Pads (designed for whitewater rafting) for sleeping on - 3" of high density foam plus and air valve, all wrapped in strong raft-grade PVC. Clean off is a breeze, just rinse and wipe, nice for the SE where mud is common. The surface can get sticky in the hot months with the high humidity though.

No input on RTTs, I sleep in the back.

I have extra tiedowns in the bed, so no more un/re-rigging each day. Installation requires steel backing plates, as the bed is composite. I wouldn't advise until you have permanent designated totes/coolers/water jugs otherwise the positioning will change. Everything is strapped downward and slightly outward so it doesn't slide or bounce at all.

Again, happy you were able to get out and explore! I really like NW Arkansas.

Glad you were able to get out after all that time. Sounds like your in the Oachitas? I've sent some time between Ft Smith and Hot Springs in prior years - beautiful country, plenty to explore.

I use Aire Land Pads (designed for whitewater rafting) for sleeping on - 3" of high density foam plus and air valve, all wrapped in strong raft-grade PVC. Clean off is a breeze, just rinse and wipe, nice for the SE where mud is common. The surface can get sticky in the hot months with the high humidity though.

No input on RTTs, I sleep in the back.

I have extra tiedowns in the bed, so no more un/re-rigging each day. Installation requires steel backing plates, as the bed is composite. I wouldn't advise until you have permanent designated totes/coolers/water jugs otherwise the positioning will change. Everything is strapped downward and slightly outward so it doesn't slide or bounce at all.

Again, happy you were able to get out and explore! I really like NW Arkansas.

Thank you! I was north east of Fort Smith - and north and west of Ozark AR. I'll check those pads, thanks. I'm thinking of using my bed-slide as the bottom of a large drawer - and elevating my sleep platform to just higher than the fender wells - though I will miss the headroom. Anywho - thanks much!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom