Titling and Antique Registration new FJ40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I bought a Bronco in April and am driving it around as much as I want without registering it. I have my insurance card, and proof of ownership with me in the vehicle, and slapped an antique tag from another truck on it. No cop is gonna give me a hard time if I get pulled over. I don’t plan to register it until all this clears up and it’s easy to do. If you don’t have an antique plate, buy a vintage plate online that you can use, that they allow you to tag. It’s pretty hard to get pulled over with antique tags anyway.

I bought a Bronco in April and am driving it around as much as I want without registering it. I have my insurance card, and proof of ownership with me in the vehicle, and slapped an antique tag from another truck on it. No cop is gonna give me a hard time if I get pulled over. I don’t plan to register it until all this clears up and it’s easy to do. If you don’t have an antique plate, buy a vintage plate online that you can use, that they allow you to tag. It’s pretty hard to get pulled over with antique tags anyway.
That is what I will do.

When getting plates off ebay anything I need to look out for? Just leave month and year stickers on? I dont want to drive around with an obvious red flag.

That is what I will do.

When getting plates off ebay anything I need to look out for? Just leave month and year stickers on? I dont want to drive around with an obvious red flag.

The plate has to be the year of the car - registration stickers don't matter, but the plate year does.

For example, on my '62 Porsche my plates have 1962 stamped on it - no issues registering at DMV. For my '78 FJ I tried to use some old plates that my parents had from the 90's and the DMV gave me a hard no. Here's an example of a '78 VA plate - 1978 VIRGINIA license plate National Guard # 1-464 | eBay

I thought Virginia stopped the year stamped license plates in the early 70s. Maybe they continued them for the special group plates later.

Don't those require you to be affiliated with those organizations to register? That's a good deal if not.

Don't those require you to be affiliated with those organizations to register? That's a good deal if not.
At this point I really just need something that wont throw up an obvious red flag until I can get things set up with DMV. When I try and register it in August, I will let you know if they ask any questions about that.

For reference; here's my Porsche with matching year plate
IMG_2362.jpg

Last edited:
That's badass! Do you know where that track was located? I assume it's not there anymore.

It is gone. That was Marlboro Motor Raceway which was in Upper Marlboro. It held a lot of big races from the mid-1950s until it closed in the late 1960s. Jack was an instructor at the track. It is actually still there, but in ruins. You can see it on Google Maps.

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing Bart. Any pics of Jack in action?

Here he is an another Speedster...
img069.jpg

Here he is on the bottom left as part of the Heischman's Porsche team. He and another driver drove that Bug to, I think, a second in class in a 12-hour race...
Frazier189.jpg

I remember this car in the yard growing up. He can't remember what it is. I thought it was a Devon, but he is sure it is not...
img067.jpg

img065.jpg

Last edited:

I see a couple Saab 96s in the background there. My dad had one of those then upgraded to a Saab Sonett II. Quirky little cars, 3 cylinder 2 strokes, FWD, 3 on the tree. He lived in Chevy Chase at the time (mid to late 60s) and I know he did some racing with it although it might have just been cone hunting. I'll have to ask him if he ever went up to this track.

What an epic decade the 60s were for sports car racing. Would have been cool ass hobby back then.

I see a couple Saab 96s in the background there. My dad had one of those then upgraded to a Saab Sonett II. Quirky little cars, 3 cylinder 2 strokes, FWD, 3 on the tree. He lived in Chevy Chase at the time (mid to late 60s) and I know he did some racing with it although it might have just been cone hunting. I'll have to ask him if he ever went up to this track.

What an epic decade the 60s were for sports car racing. Would have been cool ass hobby back then.

Those Saab 96s were good little racers. That is what Paul Newman started in. I wouldn't mind having one. Dad started in an Austin Healey, but after watching the Porsches win all of the races, he switched to a Speedster.

Thanks for sharing Bart.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom