Tire woes (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So, after my lift and SPC UCA install everything was great. I had my old 265 terra grapplers on. It drove great. Went to a reputable shop today and got an alignment and 285/75/16 wildpeaks on... drives pretty bad. I’ve got them aired down to 32 or 34 and it’s still vibrating and bouncy AF. Nothing close to the nittos. Pretty frustrated. They are quiet... that’s good. They look cool. But after taking it back for rebalancing it still rides way worse than the grapplers. Talk me off a ledge guys.

Two words: Road Force.

Go get them balanced by a better shop. ALSO check air pressure. I have found raising it helps a ton (like they did at the dealer with the annoying bouncy BFGs). Try 40-44. That isnt the ideal solution because it can cause more center tire wear, but it helps 'round' out of round tires. A good road force balance where they rotate the tires on the rims to just the right spot should help..its a lot of work most places dont do.

Ive had nothing but similar problems for FOUR YEARS with my 295 General Grabbers. I feel your pain.

If you can guilt them into swapping for better tires after a little due diligence, very well might be worth it....the long-term headache SUCKS

This is supposedly a good shop. I guess I’ll look around. Should I just call around and see who can do a road force? Also air up? That’s counted intuitive on an E. I was airing down. I have the TT TRD 16 inch wheels that are only 7” wide. Maybe a culprit? Thanks for the help. I need to weigh my options because this ain’t working for me right now. Thanks again.

TT 16's are 7.5" wide...still not THAT wide... I have the Offroad Package 16s that are just 7" wide with 295s. Not sure the narrowness of the wheel is a super big concern though.

FJs are just so softly sprung / short wheelbase, these heavy tires are amplified when off-balance. I have simply had luck with road-force and higher pressures. I still feel that I shouldnt have to deal with it either, but they are the tires I chose!

Mine are the 7”

D811A375-00AF-48CA-B81E-D271849F0819.jpeg

084C1CEB-6728-43C3-9C7B-5420DBBAECB3.jpeg

403E30BC-3D02-499B-AF11-C61551E56B97.jpeg

Those are 7.5 my friend. I know, Im being petty but hey its the internet :)

Toyota FJ Cruiser Trd wheel. Edition, matte, black - PTR2035080 - Genuine Toyota Accessory

"
Part Number: PTR2035080

Trail Teams Edition Wheel, Matte Black Finish. Only available for Trail Teams Special Edition vehicles. ***NOTE*** Wheel no longer available for general sale, only for replacement part.
  • BOLT CIRCLE / P.C.D.: 6 On 139.7 mm
  • COLOR: Matte Black
  • DIAMETER: 16"
  • FINISH: Matte
  • LOGO: TRD Center Cap
  • MATERIAL: Cast Aluminum
  • NUMBER OF SPOKES: 6
  • OFFSET: 15 mm
  • SPECIAL EDITION: Trail Team Edition
  • TRD: TRD
  • WHEEL WIDTH: 7.5"
"
One other thought....if the wheels are not torqued down evenly and properly I hear it can cause issues...like if the wrench monkey just impaced them on...No first hand experience there.

I do see the white marks on all of them...good sign they did clock them properly ect.

Those are 7.5 my friend. I know, Im being petty but hey its the internet :)

Toyota FJ Cruiser Trd wheel. Edition, matte, black - PTR2035080 - Genuine Toyota Accessory

"
Part Number: PTR2035080

Trail Teams Edition Wheel, Matte Black Finish. Only available for Trail Teams Special Edition vehicles. ***NOTE*** Wheel no longer available for general sale, only for replacement part.
  • BOLT CIRCLE / P.C.D.: 6 On 139.7 mm
  • COLOR: Matte Black
  • DIAMETER: 16"
  • FINISH: Matte
  • LOGO: TRD Center Cap
  • MATERIAL: Cast Aluminum
  • NUMBER OF SPOKES: 6
  • OFFSET: 15 mm
  • SPECIAL EDITION: Trail Team Edition
  • TRD: TRD
  • WHEEL WIDTH: 7.5"
"
One other thought....if the wheels are not torqued down evenly and properly I hear it can cause issues...like if the wrench monkey just impaced them on...No first hand experience there.

I do see the white marks on all of them...good sign they did clock them properly ect.

Well how about that. I swear I thought they were only 7”. I totally remember looking in the rim. But anyway, I guess I’m mistaken :meh: Thanks!

I might send them back. Any other options I should look at? What AT treats folks the best in 285?

Toyos are the best I have tried/used on mine; same as Nittos I believe.

I've heard both sides of the "road force" argument from reputable folks. I had a heck of a time getting my KM3s balanced last fall. I went to Discount Tire and asked specifically for road force balancing. They were super anal about tire and wheel size and their computer told them that my wheels were smaller than they were allowed to deal with for a 315/75/16 tire. I told them that I actually had aftermarket wheels (I guess the custom red powder coating wasn't obvious enough). He told me that they can't do road force balancing on a super luggy tire like a KM3. I took his word for it. They did a standard spin balance, but on what appeared to be brand spanking new Hunter machines. It was damn near perfect balancing that I couldn't get at two other shops I tried (Kauffman and our own mechanic at work).

The other critical component is that the balancing tech use the proper mounting spindle for your wheel. Either it's is lug pattern specific or hub-centric. If there is any abnormal movement, then the balancing exercise is worthless.

My plan is to also go to skinnies next. I am over just looking cool haha. I want the height, with hopefully other benefits.

So many people run 285s...they are only a little larger than stock, so it very well may be you just got some bad tires...not bad as in faulty (they might balance up just fine on another truck), but some tires are just made better than others!..That is why the bigger name brands are just that....got to pay to play sometimes I suppose.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom