*TIRE REVIEW* Nitto Terra Grappler & introduction (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Since I never took the time to do it before. My name is Brad. :flipoff2:

I've PM'd plenty of you and have already stacked up a pretty nice pile of new friends here, so I don't feel like a newbie. But anyway, lemme introduce myself. I was looking for something to tow my racecar with. Basically I needed something that could tow about 4700-4800 pounds and carry a bunch of crap in the back while keeping the "crap" safe. I have great memories of riding around the mountain in my dad's buddies 60 when I was a kid. Green and white 2-tone. Sweeeeet. We went just about everywhere in that thing, and I've always respected Cruisers since. I had a few SUV's to choose from but the Landcruiser was the only one that I wanted. I was kinda worried about the towing ability, but loved everything else. I was at the track and one of the guys had a 93 Landcruiser, and was towing a car about 300 lbs heavier than mine so I took a look at it. I heard that the 93 was the first year of the 4.5, and that it still had the "bus tranny" which appealed to me, so I asked him about it. He'd just bought a new rig, and it was gonna be for sale. Done.

Then I stumbled around the web to learn more about what I'd bought, and stumbled onto this place. Lucky me... this place has $hitloads of info! Since I've had experience with other auto forums I knew all about "Use the f'n SEARCH function rookie" and "RTFM". No worries. Although I did learn that :flipoff2: was actually a friendly greeting, and should be used liberally. I won't blabber on, but this is one of the best forums that I've been on. And SORRY to Christo about my username. My side company is called "Shortbus Motorsports Inc.", which is my racing venture. I didn't know that I was being a total dick until I was searching thru the SOR site and saw pictures of the "Shortbus". :slap: Much different than mine. Since I'd been wearing the name for a while, it was hard to just think something else up. Talked to Christo on the phone about OME springs and apologized, but I still feel like a choad for using the name. If I can think of something besides "DICK" to use, I'll change it. Anyway......... thanks guys. :cheers:

For Rogue, 96cruiser, and the rest of you... here are a couple pix and a short review of the Nitto Terra Grappler. I've had a wholesale account with Discount Tire Direct since 93, and been dealing with the same guys there since. My rep recommended that I try the Nitto Terra Grappler on the cruiser. He lives in Scottsdale AZ and has a set on his F350 which he takes offroad and tows a sand rail with. He loved the tire and had sold hundreds of them without a single complaint. I really wanted to use a 305/70/16 to keep the OD as close as stock as I could, in order not to lose too much power for towing. I could swap out diff gears or put on an S/C, but those mods will come later. In the 305/70/16, the Nitto recommendation fit pretty well. In something more aggressive I could only get the BFG TA-KM in that size, so I bit.

So far I've had the tires in snow, ice, light mud. They've been absolutely perfect. I'm coming from the stock Michelin LTX's so that's all I have to compare to on this rig. They're make a little more noise, but ride well on the road. They balanced out real nicely on the stock aluminum wheels, and had virtually no run out. They've been great in the snow/ice this last week. I've been just about everywhere due to my job, and haven't been denied once. Plus they look 100 percent better than the Mich's and I shook off the mall cruiser look too.

Here are the details of the tire:

Nitto Terra Grappler LT305/70R16
Load range E
6 plys total: Tread is 2 steel / 2 poly / 2 nylon
Sidewall is 2 poly
Max load: 3525 lbs @ 65 PSI

I know alot of you guys wouldn't want to run these as they've got a 2 ply sidewall. And, you're probably right if you're gonna be in the rocks alot, etc... But for a relatively rugged all around tire, I think they're excellent. They feel much stiffer than the Mich's did, and I'll be curious to see how they do in the rocks. One of my friends has a rock quarry in Chelatchie Prarie, so I'm gonna get it up there in the rocks and snow, and see if I can destroy one. I do have the hazard protection on them, so anything goes. ;) For anyone who was curious about these, I think they're excellent. They seem VERY solid, handle great in water/snow/ice, and have a pretty aggressive look with square shoulders. Definitely an LT (Light Truck) tire and not a P (Passenger) style tire. If you're truck is devoted to some serious offroad duty, you may just be smarter to run the BFG TA/KM.

Following are a few pix on my white truck. (Sorry Junk :flipoff2:)

1)
P1040003-vi.jpg

I think they definately have a nicer looking tread pattern than the BFG ATs...

Hey, Brad! Great write-up. I say, as long as the girl with the beautiful floppies stays, you can keep the name!!! She goes, name goes... :flipoff2:

Garth

Oh yeah.... and the good part.

Since I've had my wholesale account with Discount Tire Direct for a long time, they're pretty good to me. On one of my other forums, I offered everyone my cost on tires, and plenty of guys took me up on it. I only did it to give back to the forum, and didn't make a penny. It took tons of time to set up deals etc.... and with work right now I really don't have enough spare time to mess with too much. And one guy did really make a mess of it and kinda pissed off my rep. :flipoff2: to that bastage.

BUT! That was a couple years ago, and I'm back in the good graces of my rep. :D Plus, I'd be happy to help out anyone on this here forum. So if you go onto www.discounttiredirect.com and see something that you like, PM me and I'll try to hook you up. Remember that the name of the place is "Discount" Tire Direct, so my cut off their internet prices isn't always that impressive. Also, due to the contracts that some suppliers have with other tire outlets, like Tirerack, sometimes the price that I pay as a wholesale account are higher than what you can find the same tire for on the internet. But, on the occasions that I can get em' cheaper, I'd love to help out.

*Disclaimer* Sometimes my job sux a$$ and I end up working weeks on end without a day off, and running day/nite. In those cases, I may not get to my PM's immediately. But, I'll do my best.

thanks again Brad,nice truck too!!!!!(but i guess i am biased towards those sweet white trucks!!!)

heres a decent pic of my white trucks' 305/70/16's....i stil want a second set of rims so i can run some taimer tread in the summer(when all i do is tow the boat)

How much louder are these than the Michelin's on the road ?--They remind me of the OLD Pirelli Scorpions--They were really loud and bumpy on the road

Just checked with internet tire company and it was 176.00each. Woohaa!!

[quote author=crazy canuck link=board=2;threadid=9704;start=msg85353#msg85353 date=1073372955]
How much louder are these than the Michelin's on the road ?--They remind me of the OLD Pirelli Scorpions--They were really loud and bumpy on the road
[/quote]

Not much, and the ride is excellent.

[quote author=MNCruiser link=board=2;threadid=9704;start=msg85415#msg85415 date=1073400623]
Just checked with internet tire company and it was 176.00each. Woohaa!!
[/quote]

I don't have the invoice with me here in the office, but I think I pay 139.00 each for LT305/70R16. I can hook you up for my price, no worries.

Same Tire that I run on my Tacoma but in a 285/75/16. Best AT tire I've ever ran.

Mark

I just put the 285 Nitto Terra Grapplers on and do notice the noise is louder than a street tire. Since I mostly do street driving I thought these might be a nice compromise in case I decide (find time) to do some expedition type of driving.

I experimented with tire pressure today and am currently at 32psi...still tweaking.

Dave

I love my 285 NTGs. There is a bit of road noise but not much and I think it sounds cool. I'm running mine at 50 psi. :cheers:

Scott

just put on 315/75 r16. like them so far.

Whoa....50psi??? I increased to 35psi and thought it was kind of harsh. I have new OME 861/862 springs.

What's the ride like with that amount of tire pressure?

Dave

Originally posted by Shortbus
I've had a wholesale account with Discount Tire Direct since 93, and been dealing with the same guys there since.

Posted by Shortbus
Since I've had my wholesale account with Discount Tire Direct for a long time, they're pretty good to me. On one of my other forums, I offered everyone my cost on tires, and plenty of guys took me up on it. I only did it to give back to the forum, and didn't make a penny. It took tons of time to set up deals etc.... and with work right now I really don't have enough spare time to mess with too much.

Shortbus,

I'm going back home from overseas next month. Can you hook me up with NTG 295 75R16 AT with a discounted price? I saw at discount tire they are $144.00 each with free shipping, can you go lower than that? I need 5 tires. Thanks in advance though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom