Tire Review - Firestone Destination XT (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I had a set of Firestone Destination XT tires in LT285/70R17 installed earlier this spring on my 2008 Land Cruiser, and since there seems to be a fairly small amount of info out there, I wanted to offer up my experience for anyone out there that be curious about this tire. I have a few trips and about 2000 miles on them so far.
A77B8BCE-99D4-4ED6-8F2F-5ACF785B2117.jpeg

I chose these tires based on a few reasons. First, they’re on the lighter weight of the spectrum of Load Rating E tires in this size at 51 lbs. Second, I found a few interesting YouTube reviews like this one: Firestone Destination XT 22,000 mile review
Finally, between a coupon, watching pricing, and a discount due to a mistake on the part of local Discount Tire store (they got in two Pmetric tires and three LR E tires) I ended up paying just over $200 each installed. In a world of rapidly escalating tire prices this was a steal.

So now with a few trips under my belt, here are a few more pics and my thoughts.
29E68918-0A80-4B96-A823-8DB9D9646B76.jpeg

ECA722CF-F3DC-4A52-AB79-5E61C6BB2868.jpeg

8E7962E5-14DA-424D-9EDA-81CBC0303EAD.jpeg

10968B64-B006-400F-AC2D-C750E0782992.jpeg

For Background, in my time owning this truck, I’ve had LT275/70R18E Duratracs on stock rims, LT285/70R17E Ridge Grapplers, and these. I currently have K02s on my Tacoma.

My use for this truck is family road tripping, gear hauling, and some mild to medium difficulty four wheeling.

Here’s what I have observed with these tires so far:

Ride: These seem to ride a little softer than any of the other tires at the same pressure. Things like highway expansion joints feel more muted. Not night and day different, but noticeable. They do display a slight “flat spotting” vibration when they’ve sat a few days in colder weather, but they warm up and smooth out quickly.

Noise: They are on par or a little quieter than the RGs and KO2, but the sound is a little higher pitched. It doesn’t bother me at all. I found the Duratracs much louder, but they were 50% worn when I got the truck.

Wet Traction: I think this is where these shine. Notably better wet traction and water evacuation than other AT tires I’ve had. The rubber seems softer and there is extensive siping.

Off-Road: I’ve done a bit of gravel and some basic easy dirt road riding. The only note I’ve made is they pick up gravel worse than most, but let go of it all once you get up to 30 mph or so. The one small muddy spot they didn’t pack up immediately, but not enough experience to say how they'll really do in mud.

Overall, I’m pretty pleased. MPGs may be slightly improved, but not enough to say for sure. As I put miles and trips on them, I’ll update this thread. This summer we’ll be headed out west for two weeks with a fair bit of dirt planned so I’ll definitely get a good bit more experience.

The high-pitch noise would bother me. But for me, the flat spotting is a deal killer. Back in the day when i had my G-wagen, i had Firestone MT…fantastic tire in terms of grip, reasonable noise (for MT), decent traction in wet, tough as nails, and superb off-road………….BUT, after one week of inactivity, it would flat spot! After a few episodes, i had to replace them because they would never “recover” from flat spot.

The high-pitch noise would bother me. But for me, the flat spotting is a deal killer. Back in the day when i had my G-wagen, i had Firestone MT…fantastic tire in terms of grip, reasonable noise (for MT), decent traction in wet, tough as nails, and superb off-road………….BUT, after one week of inactivity, it would flat spot! After a few episodes, i had to replace them because they would never “recover” from flat spot.
The flat spots recover in a mile or so. So ok for me, as usually if this truck leaves the driveway, it's going for a good distance. As to the pitch, it's not crazy or even bothersome to me, just different. Cant' hear it over the stock radio at 8, and can't hear it over the roof rack when I have it installed.

Explain flatspotting for those who may not have experienced it. Tia

Explain flatspotting for those who may not have experienced it. Tia
As a tire cools while sitting after use, the sidewall and tread can stiffen up in the spot that’s squished against the ground and take a set. It needs to be heated again in use to loosen up and smooth out. While it’s cold, it can thump each revolution. When all 4 tires do it, it can be rough. Fortunately, almost no modern radial tires flat spot noticeably. The old bias ply tires, still used on trailers, were often horrible for flat-spotting.

Fortunately, almost no modern radial tires flat spot noticeably.
Firestone philosophy: where there's a will, there's a way…. :D

As a tire cools while sitting after use, the sidewall and tread can stiffen up in the spot that’s squished against the ground and take a set. It needs to be heated again in use to loosen up and smooth out. While it’s cold, it can thump each revolution. When all 4 tires do it, it can be rough. Fortunately, almost no modern radial tires flat spot noticeably. The old bias ply tires, still used on trailers, were often horrible for flat-spotting.
This is correct. I noticed it after sitting for a week or two with cold temps. It’s nothing like my old bias ply swampers, but they had a very light vibration for the first mile or so in the morning in the cold. I haven’t noticed it since overnight temps got into the 50s.

Went with these also and have mirrored the experience of the OP. This is a solid choice

OP Have you noticed that these wear quicker on the outside? I have a bout 20k miles on mine. Center tread depth is 13/32, outside are about 9-10/32.

Just had them rotated at Costco and they noted more wear on the outside edges and recommended an alignment. When I checked myself I found the inside and outside to BOTH be wearing faster than the middle.

Tires are not under inflated.

Went with these also and have mirrored the experience of the OP. This is a solid choice

OP Have you noticed that these wear quicker on the outside? I have a bout 20k miles on mine. Center tread depth is 13/32, outside are about 9-10/32.

Just had them rotated at Costco and they noted more wear on the outside edges and recommended an alignment. When I checked myself I found the inside and outside to BOTH be wearing faster than the middle.

Tires are not under inflated.

You have "275/75/18 Firestone Destination XT" in your sig, but Firestone don't make the Destination X/T in that size - see here: Destination X/T Tires

You also state, "Tires are not under inflated."

If you confirm your tire size, the cold tire pressure you are currently using, and that the tires are used on your LX570, it would be easy to determine if the tire wear you are seeing is due to inflation pressure.

HTH

You have "275/75/18 Firestone Destination XT" in your sig, but Firestone don't make the Destination X/T in that size - see here: Destination X/T Tires

You also state, "Tires are not under inflated."

If you confirm your tire size, the cold tire pressure you are currently using, and that the tires are used on your LX570, it would be easy to determine if the tire wear you are seeing is due to inflation pressure.

HTH
Sorry should be 275/70/18.

36psi cold

Sorry should be 275/70/18.

36psi cold

Great. The RCTIP for LT275/70R18 tires on your LX570 is 36psi F/R, so that checks out.

Are you seeing more tire wear on BOTH inside and outside edges, as well as BOTH front and rear tires?

Great. The RCTIP for LT275/70R18 tires on your LX570 is 36psi F/R, so that checks out.

Are you seeing more tire wear on BOTH inside and outside edges, as well as BOTH front and rear tires?
I'll double check when I get home but I think u had dright at 9/32 outside and more like 10/32 inside.

Middle was a solid 13/32.

All 4 F/R were the same. This is their 2nd rotation.

I'll double check when I get home but I think u had dright at 9/32 outside and more like 10/32 inside.

Middle was a solid 13/32.

All 4 F/R were the same. This is their 2nd rotation.

Since this is their 2nd rotation, which means these tires have spent an equal amount of time on the Front and Rear, it sounds like there are two possible scenarios for the additional wear on the inside and outside edges:

1. Front tires only are experiencing uneven wear on the edges. Original tread depth spec on these tires is 16/32. Let's say, for the sake of discussion, that you have rotated 4 of your tires Front to Back once at 5,000 miles and again at 10,000 miles. Tread wear at the center of all 4 tires is 3/32 - this shows even tire wear for all 4 tires and not a problem. Tread wear on the edges of all 4 tires is 7/32 outside and 6/32 inside - roughly double the observed tread wear at the center of the tires. If only the front tires were wearing unevenly at the edges, they could have experienced ALL this excess wear ONLY while installed on the front; i.e. 3/32 "normal" edge wear PLUS 4/32 "abnormal" tread wear on the outside edges and 3/32 "normal" edge wear PLUS 3/32 "abnormal" edge wear on the inside edges. This could be caused by high speed turns resulting in excess edge wear. The LX570 is a heavy beast and is prone to understeer at speed resulting is scrubbing the front tires - particularly on the edges. Added weight on the front (like a winch) could also be a contributing factor to excess edge wear on the front only. There may also be use cases involving prolonged use of either L or H positions on your AHC resulting in excess edge wear on front tires, but I'm no expert on AHC - might be resolved with an alignment correction, but I can't say for sure.

2. All 4 tires are underinflated for your use case. One of the classic signs of underinflation is excessive tread wear on BOTH inside and outside edges of all 4 tires.

Since all 4 tires have spent equal time on both front and rear, it is hard to say definitively which case better applies to you.

My suspicion is #1, but would need more details of your use patterns to say for sure.

If you want to avoid double checking front alignment and just treat the symptoms, you could try increasing tire pressure on the Front only from 36psi to 41psi to compensate for the winch and possible aggressive driving. I don't think increasing the tire pressure for the rear tires is required.

Of course, as always, YMMV, proceed at your own risk, yada yada yada...

HTH

Since this is their 2nd rotation, which means these tires have spent an equal amount of time on the Front and Rear, it sounds like there are two possible scenarios for the additional wear on the inside and outside edges:

1. Front tires only are experiencing uneven wear on the edges. Original tread depth spec on these tires is 16/32. Let's say, for the sake of discussion, that you have rotated 4 of your tires Front to Back once at 5,000 miles and again at 10,000 miles. Tread wear at the center of all 4 tires is 3/32 - this shows even tire wear for all 4 tires and not a problem. Tread wear on the edges of all 4 tires is 7/32 outside and 6/32 inside - roughly double the observed tread wear at the center of the tires. If only the front tires were wearing unevenly at the edges, they could have experienced ALL this excess wear ONLY while installed on the front; i.e. 3/32 "normal" edge wear PLUS 4/32 "abnormal" tread wear on the outside edges and 3/32 "normal" edge wear PLUS 3/32 "abnormal" edge wear on the inside edges. This could be caused by high speed turns resulting in excess edge wear. The LX570 is a heavy beast and is prone to understeer at speed resulting is scrubbing the front tires - particularly on the edges. Added weight on the front (like a winch) could also be a contributing factor to excess edge wear on the front only. There may also be use cases involving prolonged use of either L or H positions on your AHC resulting in excess edge wear on front tires, but I'm no expert on AHC - might be resolved with an alignment correction, but I can't say for sure.

2. All 4 tires are underinflated for your use case. One of the classic signs of underinflation is excessive tread wear on BOTH inside and outside edges of all 4 tires.

Since all 4 tires have spent equal time on both front and rear, it is hard to say definitively which case better applies to you.

My suspicion is #1, but would need more details of your use patterns to say for sure.

If you want to avoid double checking front alignment and just treat the symptoms, you could try increasing tire pressure on the Front only from 36psi to 41psi to compensate for the winch and possible aggressive driving. I don't think increasing the tire pressure for the rear tires is required.

Of course, as always, YMMV, proceed at your own risk, yada yada yada...

HTH
Great info!

I definitely went over the Costco recommended rotation interval, which is more like 7500 miles I think.

The winch is a great call out but I haven't had it that long. So the original fronts(which spent equal time FR and are just now back on the Front) have never actually experienced that weight.

Note also that I just installed sliders this week. So might change your feelings about adding to the rear?

Aggressive driving . . . Yes. I've take several long road trips in it, so lots of prolonged time in L. Interesting call out for sure. I'm sure that is putting the tire more on the inside edges.

Note also that I just installed sliders this week. So might change your feelings about adding to the rear?

No, I'd still leave the rears alone.

No, I'd still leave the rears alone.
Awesome thanks. I pull a 4000lb trailer occasionally. Would you raise the pressure back there then?

I've had a set of these in 275/70R18 on for almost 2 years and 30,000 miles, and here are the pics. Set of 5 at 41 psi, rotated every 5000 miles. They are great tires in all conditions, and I wouldn't hesitate to buy again.

IMG_0966.JPG

IMG_0967.JPG

Awesome thanks. I pull a 4000lb trailer occasionally. Would you raise the pressure back there then?

Not necessary, but if you are experiencing any lateral stability issues, then use your best judgement.

HTH

Great info!

I definitely went over the Costco recommended rotation interval, which is more like 7500 miles I think.

The winch is a great call out but I haven't had it that long. So the original fronts(which spent equal time FR and are just now back on the Front) have never actually experienced that weight.

Aggressive driving . . . Yes. I've take several long road trips in it, so lots of prolonged time in L. Interesting call out for sure. I'm sure that is putting the tire more on the inside edges.

The uneven wear is not completely unexpected. Tire pressure is ultimately a compromise of many factors. Based on your input, it wouldn't hurt to go up 2-3 PSI if you want the best treadwear from your tires and don't mind the slightly firmer ride. It could also be beneficial to handling stability of the taller profile tires.

To your question about towing and adding pressure to the rears, from my experience, I would definitely recommend it. I don't know the rest of your loadout but I bet for a trip laden, with a 4000lb trailer ( * 15%, or 600lb tongue), your rear axle would likely be bearing around 4400lbs +. 36PSI is underinflated at that load. I would aim for 40-42 PSI on the rear axle. The front won't need more pressure from a load perspective, but I find going up a few PSI there is useful too. As it's never just about load support which RCTIP is limited to, these adjustments will give you added stability against sway and better rolling efficiency. Good things when towing.

I missed the resurrection of this thread since I was out west, but this summer we added two more substantial road trips (Tennessee to Colorado and Tennessee to Maine) with a whole lot of highway mileage and some varied off-roading including aired down rock crawling and deep sand. I’m still impressed, and the initial noise and flat spotting seems to have improved to almost unnoticeable. They are wearing well, even with my lazy substandard tire rotation practice. I’d expect 50k miles, which I’d consider OK, but not outstanding. Every tire I have had on this truck has worn harder on the outside lugs, I chalk this up to a heavy full time 4wd vehicle and lots of aggressive mountain driving.

Average MPGs are up about .5mpg from the prior Load Range E Ridge Grapplers.

Overall, I’d consider buying them again. The biggest thing that will keep me from buying them again would be the desire to try something new. These will last me a few more years at this rate, and I’m sure something shiny will come out by then and catch my eye.

9D2D39AA-D651-44E3-B862-C6FC04103C07.jpeg

5E1440D7-763C-4D83-B39D-CF482E889E08.jpeg
404A3C05-1DF7-487C-B5C1-52612851B40D.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom