Tire Pressure (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Good day, all. As newbie to this lifestyle, I have been searching for information and stumbled upon this forum gem!

I have a question on what tire pressure for 33’s is optimal for both on and off road. 80 is what manufacture recommends, just want to know if that’s the best pressure. Thanks in advance for any guidance.

80 psi isn’t the recommendation, it’s the max tire pressure for load range E tires.
you might as well roll around on steel rims at that pressure...
every rig and person is different, and On road will be different (higher) than Off road.
Start experimenting...maybe on road around 40-45. Adjust in 4 pound increments up or down til you get close, then 2 pound increments to dial it in. The goal is a sweet spot of ride comfort and tire life. Don’t aim for fuel economy...you’re driving the wrong rig for that.
For off road, below 30 is a starting point. I find the E tires don’t flex well til about 22 or so.
These are ONLY MY OPINIONS AND OBSERVATIONS. Trial everything at your own risk.

80 psi isn’t the recommendation, it’s the max tire pressure for load range E tires.
you might as well roll around on steel rims at that pressure...
every rig and person is different, and On road will be different (higher) than Off road.
Start experimenting...maybe on road around 40-45. Adjust in 4 pound increments up or down til you get close, then 2 pound increments to dial it in. The goal is a sweet spot of ride comfort and tire life. Don’t aim for fuel economy...you’re driving the wrong rig for that.
For off road, below 30 is a starting point. I find the E tires don’t flex well til about 22 or so.
These are ONLY MY OPINIONS AND OBSERVATIONS. Trial everything at your own risk.
I appreciate the suggestions and giving me a starting point. As I mentioned, new to this ride and am looking to enjoy it as long as possible. Want to keep the ride in best possible condition!

I have them at 65 right now and it does feel a bit stiff. I will bring it down and start adjusting to a comfortable ride. Again, appreciate the straight answer and suggestion.

I recommend looking up a ‘chalk test’ and then go from there. I also run somewhere in the neighborhood of 10-20psi off-road depending on conditions and tire

I like setting pressure at manufactures recommendation to start. I have a feeling Toyota did some research.

For highway I would never go below manufactures recommendation.

I like setting pressure at manufactures recommendation to start. I have a feeling Toyota did some research.

For highway I would never go below manufactures recommendation.

Assuming you’re talking about the Vehicle‘s manufacturer, not the tire maker...
Problem is, manufacturer’s recommendation (found on door sill, drivers side) is only for the tires that originally came on the vehicle. Once you “upgrade” tires, this number becomes basically irrelevant. It might be close, but I wouldn’t blindly adhere to it.
And again, this is wildly different from the tire manufacturer’s max pressure, which is found on the side wall of the tire.

Assuming you’re talking about the Vehicle‘s manufacturer, not the tire maker...
Problem is, manufacturer’s recommendation (found on door sill, drivers side) is only for the tires that originally came on the vehicle. Once you “upgrade” tires, this number becomes basically irrelevant. It might be close, but I wouldn’t blindly adhere to it.
And again, this is wildly different from the tire manufacturer’s max pressure, which is found on the side wall of the tire.
McDuff, I agree that the vehicle manufacturers tire pressure is to low for the tires I have on the vehicle. 32 is for the original tires, but I didn’t feel right running them at that pressure. I got a tip to run them about 15 below max of tire recommendation. I think your first suggestion to start about 40-45 and adjust appropriately is the way I’m gonna go. I’ll throw in a chalk test as well to see what the yields.

I am also running 33 inch load rating E tires, and was also wondering about tire pressures. When I first put the tire on I ran around on 40 psi and the ride was pretty stiff and felt like the tire was bouncing off pot holes more than it was rolling over them. I did a trail a couple weeks ago and let the tires down to about 33 psi. Everything went alright on the trail, but it was nothing serious. I was too lazy to air the tire back up with my tiny little Walmart air pump, so I drove to a gas station in a nearby town to fill the tires back up. The thing rode so well on pavement at 33 psi that I just drove straight past the gas station and went all the way home. Ride feels more cushy, but it does require a bit more steering angle at speed.
I am also well versed in the chalk trick having put many sizes of tires on sports cars that didn't belong there. I didn't think that would really work here because of how differently a truck tire behaves from a car tire. I would be interested to know if there is a similar Mr. Miyagi trick for dialing on road air pressure in a truck tire.

The door sticker on my GX lists 32 psi, which is what I run pretty much everywhere on 265-70-17s. I have an off-road air down device but have not played with it. I will say that off-road traction in mud and snow in my Wildpeaks at 32 psi is not that great, next time I get into some soft stuff (or even a rough unpaved road) I'm dropping them to 15-20 lbs.

40+ psi is way too high for such a light rig and will result in a small contact patch and potentially uneven tire wear (in the center of the tread). You should only need such a high PSI if you are towing with those E-range tires.

The door sticker on my GX lists 32 psi, which is what I run pretty much everywhere on 265-70-17s. I have an off-road air down device but have not played with it. I will say that off-road traction in mud and snow in my Wildpeaks at 32 psi is not that great, next time I get into some soft stuff (or even a rough unpaved road) I'm dropping them to 15-20 lbs.

40+ psi is way too high for such a light rig and will result in a small contact patch and potentially uneven tire wear (in the center of the tread). You should only need such a high PSI if you are towing with those E-range
Appreciate your insight. I’ll play around with it this weekend as I’ll be traveling some road and off.

I run at 38 psi on e-rated Nitto ridge grapplers 285/70/17s

I lower to 20 psi when off-road if needed

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom