Tire fitment question on 2014 GX460 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have combed through the search function for the forum and everywhere it seems concerning the fitment of 275-65-18 Michelin LTX AT2's. I haven't been able to confirm if that exact tire will have any rubbing issues on Stock rims? Seems most threads deal with other tires (KO2, Cooper, etc). Any thoughts on these specific tires for rubbing? I found a fair deal for take off's on a new Tundra and need new tires for the GX460. Thanks!

I have combed through the search function for the forum and everywhere it seems concerning the fitment of 275-65-18 Michelin LTX AT2's. I haven't been able to confirm if that exact tire will have any rubbing issues on Stock rims? Seems most threads deal with other tires (KO2, Cooper, etc). Any thoughts on these specific tires for rubbing? I found a fair deal for take off's on a new Tundra and need new tires for the GX460. Thanks!

I bought the Michelin LTX AT/2 E tires for my '17 GX460 in size 275/70/18 and they had a slight rub at full lock and also a couple of times when off road, but I lived with it as it wasn't a big inconvenience, but more of an occasional annoyance. I ended up getting someone to look at it (before I joined ih8mud) and they said that it was mostly a screw in the wheel well that was getting rubbed and they were able to heat the plastic and flatten it, etc. to fix it
It looked like something I could have taken care of myself in about an hour or so, but I was busy with work and young kids at the time.
Anyway, I think you will be happy with them. The Michelins have been the best all around tires I've owned (awesome dry/wet/snow/off-road performance and capability, smooth and quiet on highway). I am on road 80% of the time, but sometimes have to do off-road/dirt trail/tactical activities on short notice (without the chance to air down) and they rock and roll, albeit a bit bumpy, even in the GX. :)
As a side note, they were 2nd highest rated in Consumer Reports testing of All Terrain Truck Tires (1st place was Continental TerrainContact A/T), and the others you see and hear about (Goodyear Trailrunner, Yokohama Geolander, and Falken WildPeaks, which are damn good looking tires) rounded out the top 5-6. CR didn't test the KO2s, but I have owned them before in the early 2000s and unfortunately didn't have a good experience (out of round on 2 tires and they were loud as a mofo on my 4Runner limited). Hope this helps in your decision and good luck!

Thank you for the feedback! Do you have a picture of the screw area by chance? I would like to go ahead and fix it before I get the tires mounted. Thanks!

Just to add to mmaguy, you may ALSO need to heat the inner plastic wheel well.
If so, just purchase a "heat gun", basically a hair blow dryer on steroids.
Cheap enough on Amazon: Amazon.com : heat gun
Heat guns are also handy for other projects like shrink tubing all your electrical connections as you add accessories to your rig!

Thank you for the feedback! Do you have a picture of the screw area by chance? I would like to go ahead and fix it before I get the tires mounted. Thanks!

Sorry for delay, here is a pic with the screw circled in blue. There was some cutting of the liner too, obviously.

lexus tire rub fender screw.PNG

Thank you! So far we have only had very minor rubbing over bumps while turning. I will take that screw out. Thanks

Thank you! So far we have only had very minor rubbing over bumps while turning. I will take that screw out. Thanks

Just FYI, this specific screw and washer is recessed/pushed in a little (maybe 1/8 to 1/4 of an inch) compared to the others. I can't remember if the shop heat treated it or otherwise made it happen, or if it was like that and the minor rub went away after the lift, etc.
You may not have to remove it if you can do the same. Good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom