Tie rod end removal (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Good day,

I have a 1hz 75 series land cruiser. I am currently rebuilding the front wheel axle drivers side.

I am having difficulty removing the tie rod ed that connects to the knuckle arm. I hit the tie -rod end joint a couple of times and managed to get the tie crown nut removed but it looks like the tie rod end is screwed into the tie-rod. Also the knuckle arm looks like its also screwed onto the tie rod end ball joint.

Please provide me some advise on how to remove the tie rod end.

Thanks

No there not screwed on there press fitted from doing up the nut you could buy a puller to remove or just give it a wack with a lumpy. The pitman arm on the steering box will take some getting off and you will need a grease type puller and gas axe to remove

thanks ozcrusier. How about the tie-end rod. It looks like its screwed in to the rod. Also i was advised that the drivers side tie-end rod is Left hand threaded. Please advise.

So you've got the tie rod ends off the knuckle arms right? First measure up the overall length that the rod + ends is set at so you can screw in your new tie rod ends to the same spot & preserve your wheel alignment (do at least a string line check on the alignment after your rebuild too)

Dose up the tie rod vs tie rod end threads with some penetrating lube, hold the rod in a vice or pipe wrench & unscrew the TRE with another pipe wrench (or a big crescent spanner if that can get a grip)

Yes, tie rods vs TRE usually do have one side LH thread for adjusting toe in / toe out, not sure which side on the HZJ but get em moving & you'll figure it out.

Cheers
Clint

This will help
steering 004.JPG
steering 005.JPG
steering 006.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom