Thule advice (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.landcruiserdc.com
I have a connection at Thule so I need to stay within this brand. I am looking for a roof box but also ability to add other attachments to hold bikes/skis without the box on. Do you recommend utilizing the stock 200 cross bars or remove those and add foot packs/aero blades and build my own system? Seems more versatile this way and can add more attachments as needed or will stock bars suffice? As far as I know the stock cross bars can't be locked down correct?

Regarding the boxes anything to look out for with different models other than size? I will head over to rei to check them out but wanted to ask here first.

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1423662517.780575.jpg

Last edited:
I would buy a Thule rack off craigslist that has the mounts for the factory roof rails. You can then mount anything you want, from boxes, bike racks, kayak saddles, ski racks, fish rod cases, you name it. The factory bars are just not useful for any kind of real multi sport activity.

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1423663234.492819.jpg

Regarding a box for luggage or, much more importantly, skis, any box will fit. I have an old Yakima rocket box as well as the biggest current Yakima box they make and both fit my LX with no issues. You can get these any day of the week on Craigslist as well.

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1423663271.418892.jpg

Stick with Yakima or Thule boxes. The more expensive the better built but don't let that dissuade you from getting whatever works at your price point. They last forever (my Yakima Rocketbox is almost 30 years old and spends the entire winter on the car).

Last edited:
Thanks that's quite the set up! I will be buying new due to my connection. Do you have the aero blades or square ones? Benefits?

I agree. 23 years of Thule usage. I'd get the foot kit (458?) + bars in a width that is most useful for your purposes. I often prefer far wider than prescribed for a given model.

If you were close I'd give you all matter of attachments we aren't currently using!

I agree. 23 years of Thule usage. I'd get the foot kit (458?) + bars in a width that is most useful for your purposes. I often prefer far wider than prescribed for a given model.

If you were close I'd give you all matter of attachments we aren't currently using!
Thanks James. I will check those out and I am in Colorado.

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1424209346.551839.jpg

That's the x box on the factory rack

Thule Evolution 1600 (no longer made) - factory crossbars, no interference w/tilt mode on sunroof or sharkfin antenna.
28" bar spacing & about 8" forward from tailgate door @ full open.

Last edited:
Thanks all. Placed order over weekend for the hyper xl box with aero blades and 450 foots.

Love the silver LC!

Are u guys using the stock cross bars for your boxes? Do you feel they are adequate? I bought the blades and feet thinking they would be stronger and more durable.

^^^^ I borrowed my neighbors last summer and I thought it was very flimsy and vibrated a lot on stock bars. It was an older Yakima box. Hopefully the Thule box and blades will be stronger.

IMG_3386.JPG

No experience w/Thule square bars, but factory bars on my '15 are solid - not at all flimsy IMO.

Can only compare to recent (2013) OEM Acura MDX bars & the Land Cruiser's are equal
in build quality + stability. I mount the box as far to the rear as possible per manufacturers recommendations for aerodynamics.

The Thule mounts I have seen put the box higher off the roof....higher = more wind resistance....can't rationalize that one.

Same box different vehicle ↓↓↓↓. No experience with bikes mounts (use trailer hitch), kayaks etc.

P1000453.jpg~original

I use factory roof rack and mount it as far to the rear as possible so the back door can open.
If it didn't have the factory "air brake" it could go back further.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom