Thoughts on Used GX Pricing with Mods (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm a newbie looking to get into overlanding for some weekend family get aways and some mild trails. After researching vehicle options I think the GX 740 is going to be my vehicle of choice. I live in San Diego and the prices seem to be a bit higher than other states. I've found a few dealers who buy trucks then fix them up and advertise as overland ready.

The average cost is 22-25k for 2005-2008 models with 100-150k miles on them with the following work done.

What are your thoughts on the cost and value of the mods?

ADDDED BRAND NEW OLD MAN EMU 2-INCH FULL SUSPENSION
ELIMINATED AIR RIDE SUSPENSION
4 METHOD MR701 17X8.5 BRONZE WHEELS W/ BEAD GRIP TECHNOLOGY,
4 BFG 285/70/17 KO2 TIRES
ALL WEATHER FLOOR MATS.
FULLY SERVICED INCLUDING TIMING BELT & WATER PUMP REPLACEMENT!!!
NEW FRONT & REAR EMU SHOCKS.
NEW FRONT & REAR EMU COILS.
BRAND NEW SWAY BAR LINKS,

I’ve been browsing the Miramar Motorsports web site for a while.

Wheels and tires are about $2400 depending on when you buy. Those are popular brands, but I prefer Nitto tires over BFG.

OME suspension is a low end basic set, but again popular brand. Not the one I would do, but it’s capable suspension. Maybe $1500 in parts and labor in musing the conversion kit.

water pump and timing belt are $175 for the kit/parts and $400 labor at Indy mechanic.

So, they do about $4500 worth of upgrades including labor at Indy shop. Add that to the base price of your favorite gx470 and you can compare.

I rather build my own because I can choose brands of wheels, tires, suspension, and other armor. Also, I can do it cheaper than the turnkey gx470 they are selling you at a premium.

if you don’t have the time or desire to find a gx470 and build it yourself, then those turnkey Gx470s are a good option for a premium. Just make sure you run a carfax to make sure you are not getting one with rolled back miles or damaged in flood or has been in major crash.

Last edited:
Oh the proforged sway bar end links for the rear cost me like $50 for the pair and I installed myself. And for me the fun is figuring out how build it and finding a good mechanic at a good price to do the things I can’t do myself

Last edited:
Your list has items that happen with a OME lift, or any full lift. So the list isnt as long as it appears. I have OME lift on mine and I chose it because I have been wheeling for 30 plus years and understand the quality. Each to their own though. The OME system parts and conversion are 1100 plus labor. A good shop with proper alignment capability and will take the time to perform the conversion correctly will be around 800 and will have the truck for a full 8 hour day. Dont rush getting it done right. The wheels and tires arent my taste and I bet it doesnt have a correctly sized spare. That is important on expedition trips.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom