Thoughts on this 80 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

cheezypoof

SILVER Star
Threads
Thinking of stopping by to check this one out on our way back from TC to Ann Arbor this coming weekend. 1997 Toyota Land Cruiser - cars & trucks - by owner - vehicle... - https://saginaw.craigslist.org/cto/d/freeland-1997-toyota-land-cruiser/7306616818.html

I assume it's nobody here since I could't find a post anywhere on mud.

Rust being my biggest concern, the seller states the undercarriage was "stripped and resealed with epoxy primer" - red flag? How can I figure out if it's lipstick on a pig?

Mechanical issues like birfields etc I'm more confident identifying, but this would be my first 80 so any tips on what to look for appreciated.

Just my first blink
Grab vin and go on Toyota service records to see what you can find. While your at run Carfax
I would want to know if/ when Head gasket was. Done along w PHH, birfs, fluids, radiator and all other baseline items
Frame needs thorough inspection
Interior looks decent
Price seems high.
Just some intial thoughts

Thanks guys. I'm in the early stages of 60-->80-->40 disease so bear with me :)

Looks like I have some reading to do on this PHH thing

Saw this one too. Was on my way back from up north and was going to swing buy but that price seems very high for what is in the pics.

Saw this one too. Was on my way back from up north and was going to swing buy but that price seems very high for what is in the pics.
Initial digging - seller was helpful and provided what he had. No major maintenance has been done on the powertrain - HG, PHH etc are original. Burns a quart every 2k. No compression #s available. Needs new AC compressor.

Knuckles/bearings done 30k ago, appears the birfs weren't replaced.

Minor rust around one window but I didn't dig further, based on what I heard this is pretty far out of range and my offer would be deep into insult territory. Seems like a 15k rig, max.

Seller is honest and helpful tho

Motors and mechanicals can all be fixed , not always easy but you can solve and move on. Rust is another story. You can chase it and spend a ton of money to hopefully get it right.
I have bought the majority of my used/older vehicles from out west and the difference it makes in terms of working on them is significant in terms of rusty bolts, frames and bodies.
Just something to think about if you get real serious about looking

From the limited single undercarriage photo, I think I'm in the lipstick on a pig camp. Stripped and coated doesn't mean much for future work on it and can make corrosion worse once the water works its way under the coating (and it will). I see a LOT of previous rust damage under there and the description of rust showing up on the body don't bode well. Pretty long list of to-do items on this one for the price. I agree I'd be in the insult range for an offer if it was me buying. I see a new Bronco in the garage that the owner is probably hoping to help pay for with this LC sale. If you investigate it, take old clothes, a flashlight, and safety glasses and crawl around underneath for a long time looking the situation over.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom