Thinking out loud... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Your ultimate Cruiser. What is it? What sparks that rush inside you caused by these machines we are passionate about? For me its always been the trucks. The 45s, the 75s and the 79s. Getting to see and be around new HZJ79s while employed at Ens Toyota was awesome. I have also been underground in potash mines seeing those trucks at work. It was great. I I have also looked at a few 45s over the years but wasnt in a position to buy. Timing is everything.
I was able to drive a diesel 5spd 81 series today. What a great truck. So in my mind I want a LHD HDJ 79 landcruiser truck. 1HDT 4.2l with a 5spd and some sort of tcase with a doubler and lower gears. I love the factory Aussie Ute boxes you can get from Toyota in Australia. 6" Slee lift and 40s. Thats my dream truck right now. Im sure it will change over time. but for now thats it. The best drive train, best body and the best accessories.

Its funny. What initially attracted me to cruisers was the 70 series... even though I've never owned one. But I first saw them in action at an off-road event outside of Edmonton in 2001. The capabaility of these stock trucks over the lifted (and often busted) J**ps at the event really made me curious. Not to mention that I already was driving around 1990 4Runner.

For me, I've owned 7 cruisers so far, 3 x 40s, 1 x 61, 2 x 81s. For me the 80 series is perfect. THe kinds of trips I do involve driving a LOT, wheeling the (moderate) crap out of it and then driving home. A perfect example was when I drove my 61 to Pismo beach and back for Surf N Turf 2003. 5500km round trip, complete with wheeling in the hills of California and jumping dunes by the ocean. Thats the typical 'use case' for me. I got the 'hardcore' wheeling out my system 10 years ago with my topless 40 days. While fun, it was a lot of cleaning & fixing.

My bucket list includes driving down to the southern tip of Argentina in my cruiser. The 81 is perfect for that I think. Comfortable for long stretches, but capable when I decide to get exploring (intentional or not).

I also typically keep my truck as stock as possible or go with "proven" upgrades. For me the attraction of Toyota has been the reliability and simplicity. These trucks were made to endure rough conditions and to be repaired with basic tools. I like the simplicity of the mechanical diesel motors . A great real-life example was Frederik and Josephine's trip across Congo:

Anyway, despite my initial attraction to 70s, I think I'm more of an "80" guy than a "70" guy.

Did you know your old green 42 lives in Kelowna. My buddy and I bought the 42 and military trailer from you a while back in edm. Well my buddy's bro bought the 42 from us to use in the winter. He painted it blue and parks his rust free 42 and drives your old one. Thought you might want to know

Ryan

Wow, Krusty still lives. I'll keep my eye out for it, thanks for the heads-up. Did a tub get put on it or anything? It was pretty rusted and that was 7 years ago.
Here's some photos of it back when I used to "wheel." By the way the truck is running in those water photos, you can see the bubbles from the exhaust in the back. I had to get it pulled out because the clutch forks got all jammed up with mud and grass. (The rubber clutch fork boot was missing)
Those side-hill shots are also "action shots." Props to "Crushers" for teaching me how to side-hill 40s without rolling.
http://gallery.getoutside.ca/main.php/v/Cruisers/1982BJ42/

Grew up with the 70 series. My Dad owned 2 BJ70s at different times. 1 when I was young for a few years then another that he had for over 10 years. I really learned to appreciate it, tough, reliable and very capable little rig. I wanted a land cruiser when I hit university. I never got the vehicle bug until then. I have been cruiser crazy ever since.

I imported my dad an HZJ73 after convincing him it was in his best interest as his bj70 was getting rotten. I did an HDJ81 for my first truck. I loved it but it was too plush. I wanted a simplistic and rugged truck. The 70s fit the bill. I even knew when I opened my first container with the 73 and 81 I said to myself s*** that 73 is sweet, there is just something about a 70 series.

Sold my 81 to go on the hunt for a 70 series. I was flip flopping with money in the bank looking for a nice HZJ73 or HZJ77. I considered a few BJ74s and a HZJ75 ute that I was very close to buying and even a BJ75 troopie. I stuck to my guns and waited for a nice one out of japan. I ended up with an HZJ77 and couldn't be any happier really. I am happy I went with the 77 over a 73 mainly for the room. I plan on having kids in a few years and I know the 77 will be a great family truck. It will have turbo on it shortly. Intercooled maybe next summer? Needs some metal work done to it. Close to to being done, I hope to do a bunch this winter.

After getting the 77 and almost buying the 75 I really wanted a 75 or a 79. Bad. I had a few people look for me loosely and I lucked out and got a decently clean one that wasn't a mine truck. I can't wait to get this truck started and built up a bit, its going to take some time as I am still saving, and in the middle of building up my 77. The 75 is a total toy right now so I can't justify throwing a ton of money at it this point unfortunately. all in time, I'm still young (24).

I still really want to import a Troopy, this might happen for a friend if he someone buys his mint HJ60. I also kick myself seeing a few HZJ75 firetrucks (dual cab ute) go through japanese auction and sell for peanuts. I think if I could come across one while I had some extra money in the bank I would have to pull the trigger on one. :meh:

I guess I would love to have 1hd-fts in both trucks, big boosting Gturbo's, intercooled, big exhaust.... Just hope the H55 would hold up to the high HP punishment. If not the H151 would take it.

Last edited:
Wow, that's a beaut.

When I was backpacking through central America, there were brand new 78s & 79s everywhere. I was drooling the entire time. One day my bus stop was right by a Toyota dealership so the trucks sat there and taunted me for half an hour. It was so unfair

Well since there isn't really any 79 dual cabs really built up there yet because they are so new I will post up what I am digging. Bear with me that these are the new V8s with the tacoma-esque front ends (i'm pro the narrow front clip) these still look good. In an ideal world I would love to own a 76 and 79. Even though I do own a 77 and a 75:hillbilly:

The 79s that I like.
1D91EB75-3B63-4021-9966-C99EC81EE5DE-2058-000001315E4E9570.jpg

EB066F98-030B-467B-9260-9B7E91385B41-2058-0000012D689FD7BD.jpg

newcanopy001_1_1.jpg

newcanopy002_2_1.jpg

Also I really dig Louis's truck. I would put the flat deck up taller to match the body lines better and modify the headache rack a little because it would stick up too much.
attachment.php

attachment.php

The 76 I dig.
file.php

file.php

file.php

file.php

Hi Guys,
I'm new to these forums so I hope someone will read this and help me out.
There is an awesome 79 series photo above with Toyota's new v8 diesel.
I live in New Zealand and have just ordered a new one in the same colour as the one above. Im having real problems down here finding rims available that will fit let alone suit!! Our local tyre dealership here only has 3 models that will fit, all 3 look crap.
If the owner of this beast could respond with the make of the rims, offset, tyre size etc.. that would be grateful.

Many Thanks
Nigel (NZ)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom