Thermal imaging of batteries... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

e9999

Gotta get outta here...
Threads
for your enjoyment...
just a tad hot
note the one good cell

img_thermal_1540839335524.jpg

small SLA I'm playing with. About 10 Ah originally, much less now. Old. Bad. Pic taken while "charging" at 5A (max of charger) and around 13.5V for a while with no indication of decreasing current by pic time.

This one is also old but a bit better, it is actually charging somewhat. About 4.6A and 14V, also around 65W, charging for at least an hour, but current decreasing when pic was taken. Much cooler. But still showing uneven cells.

img_thermal_1540872352775.jpg

unfortunately, the good batteries show nothing much interesting in thermal pics when charging, just pretty uniform relatively low temperatures...

One thing that is interesting is that the IR reflects surprisingly well off metallic surfaces. In fact, in the second pic I had the battery on a sheet of matte galvanized steel and I had to cover the latter because there was a clear reflection of the battery visible on it.

to illustrate what one sees with a better battery fully charged in trickle float mode:
Not much to see as expected, the bright item is a small online circuit for a HF trickle charger. The battery itself is the pale blue cloud above, and the slightly vaguely greenish brighter spot on the battery is I believe a reflection of the charger. So the battery is pretty much at room temperature. But of course there is very little power being taken in by the battery since it's only trickling. In the pics above, the batteries have not yet reached in one case -and likely never will reach in the other case- a float mode and absorbed a lot more power when the pic was taken.

I will try to take a pic of a good battery under heavy charging next time I do that to see how uniform the temps are.

img_thermal_1540873614365.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom