The Vegtable Garden Thread (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Nice peaches. I'd give up quite a bit for a healthy, productive peach tree.

Canning, we ordered a pressure canner today.
Anybody know how to freeze chard?

The green beans stopped producing so we pulled them out, also pulled out the beets and carrots. Canned up a bunch of Green beans and carrots, the beets will get canned tonight.

I'll go back and re-plant everything for a second crop, if the weather allows it. Also plan to put in some Bok Choy and other cool weather veggies.

Off the wall tiller question: First time usage of a rear tine machine. Huge improvement over the front tine models but still a beater, best recommends?
101_0897.jpg

Rear tine tiller; Wear good gloves, take frequent breaks, and let the machine do the work. I had a Monkey Wards unit that worked great, sold it when we finished landscaping the yard at our first house. I use a small tiller that attaches to my line trimmer now because our beds are small and well tilled.

So with Fall officially here what are you guys doing to get your gardens ready for winter?

I'd like to plant a cover crop but I don't think the timing will work out for me.

I just planted 75 garlic cloves on Saturday. That's a lot of garlic to peel at one time.

I've still got some growing season left over here. My fall tomatoes are just now starting to produce. My green beans should start producing here pretty soon. My okra is still producing more than we can keep up with, but it has slowed down some on the last week or so. If I remember right, it will be time to plant Swiss chard, collard greens, spinach, beets and turnips pretty soon.

So far I've pickled 33 pints of that stuff this year trying out about 5 different recipes. I don't know how good they will be, but I know I can't eat that many between now and next okra season. If you want to be a taste tester for me, send me a PM. :cheers:

Try roasting okra on the grill. Surprisingly tasty.:cool:

rusty, try planting a cover crop of annual rye grass, horse beans (favas i think), let them grow over winter and chop roto till them into the soil while getting ready in the spring. its called a green manure crop. it does several things, most being the roots let h2o into the soil during winter and planted enough, will croud out winter annual weeds. not to mention the beans will build up alittle nitrogen through the rhizobia (SP?). good luck

So far I've pickled 33 pints of that stuff this year trying out about 5 different recipes. I don't know how good they will be, but I know I can't eat that many between now and next okra season. If you want to be a taste tester for me, send me a PM. :cheers:
Post up when you have it narrowed down to the top two. ;)

I just planted 75 garlic cloves on Saturday. That's a lot of garlic to peel at one time..

I am new to the garlic scene, We had a good crop of 'elephante' this last year. IMO, makes a cool porch decoration, no flavor.. Time for the real garlic, any recommends on varieties? Just the regular Safeway stuff? Last time I was in Trader Joes brought on the :hmm:

I am new to the garlic scene, We had a good crop of 'elephante' this last year. IMO, makes a cool porch decoration, no flavor.. Time for the real garlic, any recommends on varieties? Just the regular Safeway stuff? Last time I was in Trader Joes brought on the :hmm:

I've always used grocery store garlic. It's not uncommon that I have left overs from the last harvest that get replanted. There's a few websites out there with lots of interesting and tempting varieties but by the time you get a good selection, you have several hundred cloves. I just can't use that many.

Elephant garlic is good for roasting and making garlic butter. Otherwise, I'm not impressed, I prefer a stronger flavor.

It's chili season in AZ:cool:

mail

@BrotherRob; Image fail!

Time to start putting the garden to bed here in the high Desert, the melon plants took a hit last night, most of the leaves are black today, I also noticed some of the eggplant leaves are turned.

I harvested as many tomatoes as were near enough to ripe and canned them today, I'll harvest the rest and store them in a cardboard box in the garage until they ripen. Did this last year and we had fresh tomatoes until nearly Xmas. The trick is to get them inside before they freeze.

I made more pickles and relish Monday which about took care of the last of the cukes.

I sure wish there were a way to preserve eggplant, I might try freezing some just to see if it works. :meh:

I'll wait to dig the Taters until the plants are well and truly dead. Then dig them and store them in the garage next to the tomatoes. Same for the onions.

I have and idea for a cold frame, with luck I'll have time to get it together before it gets to cold. I'll post pictures if it happens.

Is this better?
chilies.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom