The Maaco Paint Debate (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I know these paint jobs are questionable, but I'm debating having the cruiser painted at Maaco

With that in mind, I would be doing all the proper prep work, as well as providing the paint. In essence, all they need to do is spray the truck down.

My reasoning is, they spray cars all day long, and by sanding it myself and providing the correct paint, I don't have to worry about the obvious issues . Most of these guys lay so much paint it becomes second nature, they typically drop the ball at the prep stage.

Has anyone here used the Maaco in Dedham Ma, or Pawtucket RI?? Trying to determine which one is more reputable.

I know I'm cutting a corner here, but I don't have the room for a booth at my house to spray it, nor do I have the HVLP experience.

I looked into this heavily. Take it to the one in Brockton or don't do it at all.

I looked into this heavily. Take it to the one in Brockton or don't do it at all.

How much did they run you for the rig? If you don't mind me asking

For a BC/CC job Dedham wanted $1500
If I prepped it myself $1400...

Trying to see if that was out of this world or what. I could buy enough paint to screw it up myself two times and still come out ahead at under $1500

They'll do a great job in Brockton. I would take as much stuff off as possible wherever you go to avoid overspray plus they charge time to tape or take things off.

I buy color matched rattle spray cans from Sherwin Williams automotive. There is also a place in Milford that can make cans custom as well. I don't care how mine comes out but it makes a nice 10-footer if you have any skills. If you want a decent job then MAACO at 1400 sounds fairly reasonable. Regular bodyshops would likely be more than double.

Maybe try it yourself first? If it doesn't come out ok then sand it off. Will cost you about $200 I'd guess to give it a shot.

I would only buy spraypaint with hardner in it. You may be able to find them for less money than this place and there is a dealer in Needham who sells them for $32, IIRC.

APS Tower Paint Company, Inc.

Hey Eastern Yetti, Did you ever get it done? I'm debating Maaco or Doing it myself. I've done my hood myself and was happy with the result the issue is time and space.

I got it as far as taking it down there for a quote, and the place in Westwood had some issues with matching freeborn red..granted I had full choice of any other manufacturers colors.

If I took the bumpers off and the trim they said they’d do it for 1500. (Base coat & clearcoat) i think their tier 2 finish?
I’m going to get another quote in the spring, as this year mechanical fine tuning ate up the budget

From what I here Brockton slings the most paint, I’m going to get a quote there and from another shop I know does good work

Ok so I paid $1700 and got their top line job wuch was both paint and sealer. This included some body work on the hood and side door. Overall I'm happy with how it looks. The guy didn't try to sell me anything and If I had to do it I would do it again. Only thing I don't know is...how long will the paint job last. All I can say is my FJ looks Mint and if I have to do this every 6 years then so be it :) Once it stops raining I'll send some pics...hopefully before I put it in for winter

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom