Builds The Escape Wagon Restoration (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Maybe a winter project
Maybe I keep it as a “just in case I need it later” part.
I already replaced my original dash pad since it was cracked and sourced a used one off ebay. It’s in solid shape overall but I’d be kicking myself for not buying one of the few brand new OEM pads still available.

View attachment 2782747
That's a thing of beauty isn't it? I think I peed a little when my new dash pad came from Partsouq a little over a year ago.

Got my new water temp sensor installed tonight to address my CEL code issue. Also did the cold start injector timer switch while I was at it.
Captured the in process photos at this link:

7B190A34-3DD6-413F-A39C-AF859B3E75FE.jpeg

thank you very much for the overwhelming KIND words and support

it is nothing less then Humbling tonight right now as sit and key punch away here , at the deepest HUMAN LEVEL Experience ..........

this is indeed the CREED i live by below , and try hard to actually make happen in reality as
practical as i possibly can too : 😇

DSCN9792 - Copy - Copy.JPG

Well, my bogging/stalling issues came back even after installing the water temp sensor so I had to keep on hunting.
Brought it to a master mechanic friend of mine and we just started chunking through it.
The engine would bog and stall, sometimes throwing a CEL 22 and sometimes not but the condition felt the same. We did a smoke test and fixed a few vacuum issues but it didn't fix it. Changed out the 02 sensors and just like before, it worked for a bit and then came back.
With new water temp sensor, new cold start injector timer and water temp switch all replaced it was time to look elsewhere.
His diagnostics shows an air fuel mixture issue.

We called in fire support from Alamo Toyota out in TX (where we had some friends). They recommended the MAF. The air flow sensor, from what I understand, wouldn't directly throw a CEL 22 but.....that was the fix.

That was a frustrating exercise but with fresh sensors, fresh 02s and a MAF sourced from cruiserparts.net (guys up there were nice enough to pull it for me for same day pickup).....I'm back on the road just in time for 20 inches of snow.
1643391316437.png

So far to tackle the code 22 you have replaced all the thermostat sensors, the O2 sensors and the AFM?

Yes but I realize that I have not replaced the Bvsv
Think that could do it?
I doubt that. 22 is just for the water temp so I think its isolated to the coolant temp sensor (ECU one). How much did you look at the wiring in that circuit? Maybe back probe at the ECU connector to check for wiring issues from the ECU to the sensor?

I doubt that. 22 is just for the water temp so I think its isolated to the coolant temp sensor (ECU one). How much did you look at the wiring in that circuit? Maybe back probe at the ECU connector to check for wiring issues from the ECU to the sensor?
We tested that but will do it again.
I may just pull off the intake manifold to see if I pinched something when I re-did the intake/exhaust manifold gaskets.
And thank you 👍

We tested that but will do it again.
I may just pull off the intake manifold to see if I pinched something when I re-did the intake/exhaust manifold gaskets.
And thank you 👍
Yeah may be worth it to test again after you replaced the sensors. Did it work fine for a while after you replaced the sensors and connectors or has it still been a constant issue?

Yeah may be worth it to test again after you replaced the sensors. Did it work fine for a while after you replaced the sensors and connectors or has it still been a constant issue?
When we reset e CEL code it’ll drive just fine for a while and then reappear.
Seems like it happens after its been running for a while, today I drove it for a 3 miles, had to wait outside a business for a half hour idling and then drove home and it appeared within a half mile after idling.

When we reset e CEL code it’ll drive just fine for a while and then reappear.
Seems like it happens after its been running for a while, today I drove it for a 3 miles, had to wait outside a business for a half hour idling and then drove home and it appeared within a half mile after idling.
Ok so if the sensors are new, connectors have been refreshed and the connections are good, it sounds like there is an issue between the sensor and the ECU, the ECU itself or maybe the ground for the ECU?

Ok so if the sensors are new, connectors have been refreshed and the connections are good, it sounds like there is an issue between the sensor and the ECU, the ECU itself or maybe the ground for the ECU?
Ok
Ill check that out
Appreciate the advice

I’ll look at the ECU…..happen to know what the ground looks like or where it’s located on the box?
Since I’ve lost the ability to be objective I am only working on it with my buddy the technician but easy enough to pull the glove and look for the ground

I’ll look at the ECU…..happen to know what the ground looks like or where it’s located on the box?
Since I’ve lost the ability to be objective I am only working on it with my buddy the technician but easy enough to pull the glove and look for the ground
Screen Shot 2022-01-29 at 10.25.33 AM.png

Screen Shot 2022-01-29 at 10.26.07 AM.png

Screen Shot 2022-01-29 at 10.29.56 AM.png

FSMs: HERE

I would measure the resistance from the connector side of the E1 to the body or nearest main ground point (likely the passenger side main ground point behind the kick panel). Hopefully its very low resistance. Then maybe measure resistance from that main ground point to the battery to make sure its a nice connection.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom