The Best of the Both World !! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
RALPH 53MM BORE SUPER-DUTY SHOCKS

Everything about the Ralph shocks is humungous. The biggest body (70mm), the biggest bore (53mm), the biggest rod (22mm), the biggest oil-capacity and even the biggest warranty of any 4WD shock

ralpshockpicpage.jpg

For My LC100: With Shott's 74L Shocks idea ..​

Front:​

Ralph 53mm bore front shock (pair) IFS 100 Series Wagon 0-2"
#TDR1103B​

$590.00 AUD​

Rear:​

Ralph 53mm bore rear shock (pair) 80 Series Wagon 0-2"
#TDR1111​

$550.00 AUD​

What do you think .. and compering them to Raid(50mm+) and OME LTR .. :)

They are made in US by Arvin Meritor the maker of Gabriel. Unfortunately could not be bought in US. They are very expensive for a non adjustable low pressure twin tube shock design.

I would rather get the Raid version because they are adjustable and I beleive Koni have a lot more suspension experience than Tough Dog.

FYI, the Paris-Dakar winning HDJ100's use dual KYB shocks w/ an external resevoir like the OME LTR.

in thursday .. i busted all my Four Shocks :) .. with one bad jump ..

The Raid is $$$ more than RALPH

LTR Same body OD like the OME Shocks .. only more Oil ..

at 890$ USD with this huge Shocks .. i fall in love withem ..

guys the piston bore is 2.12 inch <<<<<<

If you've destroyed the shocks with a jump something else is wrong with your car. Well - was wrong before the jump (and is still now) or maybe nothing was wrong before the jump, but is now ;).
So I guess only replacing the shocks won't make your problems go away.
And for jumping you should either use Paris-Dakar like components or the cheapest you can get ;). Everything else is a waste of money.

Regards
Samo

Nothing was wrong before the jump .. it wasnt jamp .. BAD JUMP .. :)

there is always will be custom shocks .. like the one From Aragosta .. like i said they offer shocke approved for Dakar .. starting from 2250$ a set .. also proflex .. the same thing .. in the middle .. i see ralph shocks ..

I still don't get it. If nothing is bent, bump stops should stop the suspension travel before the shocks get damaged. You had stock springs and stock shocks, right?

Regards
Samo

P.S.: I only have some metal plates on the chassis where LC80 have bump stops (on the rear) - well, at least I've seen it there on a LC80. I have bump stops only inside the coils. Do any of you guys have bump stops on the chasis?

I cranked the Tbarz 1 inch .. and ironman Heavy loads spring in thr rear ..

the value in the shocks cant respone to the change like it was .. so the ride is very very firm .. it easy to bust OEM shocks ..

today i found that the 1 Shock will cost me 19$ .. thats very cheap OEM parts .. i dont think i will waste my mony when iam getting the ralphs ..

SamoL said:
P.S.: I only have some metal plates on the chassis where LC80 have bump stops (on the rear) - well, at least I've seen it there on a LC80. I have bump stops only inside the coils. Do any of you guys have bump stops on the chasis?
Yes, we have a total of 4 bumpstops in the rear. You can see the other one in this pic, where John lowered it by a couple of inches.

I am not sure if the Tough Dogs will really give you any increased performance for "big air". My understanding is they are designed for the rapid cycling of washboarded roads at high speed for long periods of time. That normally causes the oil in the shocks to overheat and foam up.

Have you considered the Bilsteins or The Edelbrock IAS ? They have a dynamic response system that might be more useful to you.

Also check out Raw 4x4

I say get the Tough Dogs on there, take pictures and let us know if they work. Here is a pic with a cut-away view of the "twin tube" and "foam cell".

35mm_adj.gif

http://www.4waysuspension.com.au/

A good description of the "foam cell" concept. Here.

Copy%20of%20Copy%20of%20pic_of_emus.jpg

Last edited:
NMuzj100 said:
I am not sure if the Tough Dogs will really give you any increased performance for "big air". My understanding is they are designed for the rapid cycling of washboarded roads at high speed for long periods of time. That normally causes the oil in the shocks to overheat and foam up.

I don't think the Dogs are even any good for that!

A mate ran them on his IFS 100, and we travelled the Canning Stock Route (1800km of dirt and corrugations in Western Australia). He was the only vehicle to run them, and the only vehicle to have shocker troubles.

I can vouch for the extra amount of oil they carry, when his seal popped there was oil from the front all the way to the back of the car.

When we called the distributor on the Sat Phone, they advised warranty on them was only 12 months (they were about 16 months old). Also confronting him at the 4x4 show in Melb. again he was told only 12 months warranty.

It was brought to mates attention that the warranty as advertised on their website was 2 years. After a s*** fight he ended up with 2 replacement shocks... which are now advertised for sale - never fitted and not going to be.

I'd have a look at something else, Bilstein or Koni. But the 100 wasn't designed to be airbourne either.

i like the RFX .. 41mm bore .. 3way adjustable.. but bigger bore always better 41vs53mm ..

and i think the IAS they ment to be on road performance shocks .. and no way US will now better than AU in crusiers needs .. :)

http://www.4waysuspension.com.au/ralph.htm

FEATURES INCLUDE:

1. Huge 53mm bore
2. Twin Tube Design
3. High Temperature fluid
4. 22mm, Double chrome plated rod
5. Additional welding on all studs & eyerings
6. 10 stage Velocity Sensitive Valving
7. Rod Wiper seal and Multi lip seal
8. Hydraulic rebound stop
9. 5 Year / 100,000 warranty
10. 2 Year / 40,000 warranty (commercial use)
11. 1 year warranty (mining applications)

WOW .. that a big let down for ralph .. but always ask some one how had experience with them ..

hdj105 .. since you are from AU .. what do you recomended .. i really would like to hear your opinion ??

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom