The (1st gen) Sequoia Experience Thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My intention is to document my experience with buying and owning a 1st gen ('04) Sequoia. This thread might be incomplete, as my truck is a 2x4. And that's no accident. It's hard enough to feed this tank without the 2-3 m.p.g. that is wasted by 4x4. It is not possible (for me) to justify that money. This truck, to me, is not a mud toy. Your thoughts may, of course, differ. And that's OK by me, just as long as you buy your gas :)

Hopefully, many issues will come to mind, be discussed and solved in this thread. Which would make those issues, and their solutions, hard to find, I suppose. And so when a major issue comes up I will begin another thread to contain it. I will apply a fitting name to that thread but I will still include it in this one, by linking to it in here.

As an example, many of you may not like the concept of oil, which has the viscosity of water, and you may be verrrrrrry leery of putting anything like that into your motor. I'm with you, there! So I have "broken this issue out" into it's own thread, here: what would happen IF...

I bought my truck in Naples, Floroda on 01/01/2020. She's a beauty. I call her "goldy."

Goldy has been maintained by a stealership, since birth. Apparently she lost her pinion seal and the rich but car stupid 1st owner failed to notice it. As a result, the differential now has a grumble though the leak, if ever there was one, is no more. Or, maybe during a routine change of the fluid in the dif, Joe Joe stealership "mechanic" ran out of oil in his pressure-fed rig. Maybe he intended to finish the fill when more fluid arrived, but forgot. Or maybe they just plain engineered some work for themselves. Who knows? Who cares?

And so the second break-out issue - the differential, and how best to deal with that. Find it here: How best to deal with noisy differental ?

I'll continue my story in the next post....

Last edited:
LEATHER:

Goldy has the leather, though it is "painted" a beige color. Not the natural tan leather I like so much :(

The third row seats were nasty. Obvoiusly, they had been removed and stored, for a very long time. Now they are gone again. I don't ever have more people than the two front seats can carry.

The leather needs to be "softened" (before it becomes brittle, and tears) and cleaned.

What is the fave "saddler soap" for these trucks? If you please?

TRIM:

I see interiors in these trucks that have plastic moldings (like around the instrument cluster) that look like wood. Tacky or not, I like it.

Does anybody have a truck they are parting out that has this trim in it?

I’ve always used Lexol. It seems to work okay, but the results have never blown me away. It’s no miracle....

What kind of MPG are you getting with 2WD? I have an 05 with 230k 4WD where I'm averaging right around 15.9 mpg

You aren’t sacrificing 2-3mpg with 4WD. My old ‘00 Tundra (2WD) only gets about 1mpg better than my ‘05 Sequoia 4x4 which is about 1,000 lbs heavier.

What kind of MPG are you getting with 2WD? I have an 05 with 230k 4WD where I'm averaging right around 15.9 mpg

I have gotten 19 mpg on the highway and 14 mpg in town. I have not completed my usual thing with the motor. I have not changed the fuel filter, plugs or the pcv valve. These are vital, and should yield some improvement. I'm 3 weeks out of prostate surgery and the weather is just too damn bad to do any work that is not absolutely necessary.

The truck runs well except for the growling coming from the right front wheel bearing. It's not the differential, THANK GOD! Come April I will buy a press and make a workbench that will hold a big vice so I can do the wheel bearings - both sides. I will install 4 ball joints at the same time.

Where the heck IS the pcv valve, anyhoo? I've seen a pic of one on rock auto. It seems it threads into a valve cover? There is a thingy on my driver's side, in the front of the motor. Seems like it might be the pcv but it is covered in some kind of nasty looking rubber stuff? And it seems to go into a box thingy at the front of the motor up high?

Pcv valve is connected to the valve cover under a rubber/foam hose right next to the oil filler. Some are threaded and some are pushing, I have a new pcv valve I haven't got around to installing yet.

You aren’t sacrificing 2-3mpg with 4WD. My old ‘00 Tundra (2WD) only gets about 1mpg better than my ‘05 Sequoia 4x4 which is about 1,000 lbs heavier.

Pickups aren't exactly aerodynamic - especially when you drive them with the tailgate up! There are far too many variables for that comparison to be valid.

Nothing is free. Try the difference between a regular pickup and a dually, for example...

The extra weight of all that stuff. The fact that the transfer case is always in the driveline, whether or not the 4x4 is engaged. It all adds up.

A small pickup will get two less mpg and a large one, three. Energy is consumed in order to make the extra stuff spin...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom