Test Drove, now need advice plus one issue... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys, well I just test drove a FJ today and made up my mind on getting one.

One issue during the test drive I noticed that when I hit a bump or the such, the steering wheel had a little play in it right-left-right-left if that makes sense. Almost like bumpsteer. This was not a base model so not sure what the deal was. Is this normal?

Anyway, I am looking at a fj 4x4 auto with GY, CQ, C7 and PKG 1 for $27,562. Does this sound about right?

My steering is very tight; is there another truck at that dealer you can drive to compare it with? Where are you located?

1911 said:
My steering is very tight; is there another truck at that dealer you can drive to compare it with? Where are you located?

X2

Drive another FJ it shouldn't be loose.

sbechtold said:
X2

Drive another FJ it shouldn't be loose.

X4

Price sounds sticker - what I paid...

83white said:
Hey guys, well I just test drove a FJ today and made up my mind on getting one.

One issue during the test drive I noticed that when I hit a bump or the such, the steering wheel had a little play in it right-left-right-left if that makes sense. Almost like bumpsteer. This was not a base model so not sure what the deal was. Is this normal?

Anyway, I am looking at a fj 4x4 auto with GY, CQ, C7 and PKG 1 for $27,562. Does this sound about right?

I'm not sure what you mean. Which of these three did you experience?

A. Bumpsteer is a condition where the truck would veer left or right when it hits a bump, without the steering wheel turning.

B. Play is looseness in the steering, in which you would would move the steering wheel, but the truck would not turn.

C. There is also kickback, in which the steering wheel tries to turn and slip through your hands when you hit a bump.

Let us know, and we'll look for it.

Michael

Definitely test drive another one. The FJC steering is about as tight as I've felt on an SUV.

Certainly not to sound condescending, but you have driven SUVs before? The steering and handling is much different than a car. That said, the FJC's handling is about as close to a car as I've experienced. :) Test drove a 2006 RAV4 and it was awful.

Yes I have, lifted at that. No disprect taken. Anyway, I was holding it with both hands and it would shimmy back and forth no matter what. Not a lot, but just enough. I figured something was up but with 38 miles on it I had wonder.

A shimmy might be a balance problem. But no matter what take another fj for a drive. Try to drive the same route, and compare. I agree with the foremention about the tightness and feel of the steering of the fj. I have noticed a slight shimmy from time to time depending on the road I was on.

Dog

Thanks guys.....I will have to wait as that is the only one the deal has here right now. Anyway, I knew the guy was full of.....anyway, thanks so much for all the help.

I just did a pretty thorough analysis of the steering on my FJ at various speeds and road conditions today. Other than a little bit of wander, especially on the grooved California concrete freeways, I didn't find anything wrong with the steering. Bump steer seems minimal. There is no play in the steering, although the ratio is pretty slow on center and there is not a lot of self-centering, so some people may misconstrue this as loose steering. It didn't pull left or right. There was no shimmy. I'm pretty picky about steering problems, so I think the one you drove may have had problems. I'd pass on it.

Michael

The steering is pretty sensitive, does exhibit some kickback although its light. I believe this is to give you a better feel of the trail when offroading...?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom