Ten Year Review FJ Cruiser 7-25-2016 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.yotatech.com
Ten Year Review Of My FJ Cruiser

Hard to believe ten years has passed.
It was July the 25th of 2006 when I took delivery of my rig after having ordering it and doing the long waiting game for it to come in.

I have a short commute to work, so my FJ is not a high mileage one, as I only have 73571 miles on it as I type this.

It has been a great rig to commute daily to work, and to go to the mountains to explore old growth forest service roads for recreation, and also to take camping trips in.

The rig is still on all of its original lights, not one has burnt out yet which seems pretty amazing to me since all of my past vehicles I was always replacing a headlight bulb here, a taillight bulb there, and interior light here, etc...

I have no complaints about the rig, it has been a very reliable rig for me.
It has been a fun platform to add mods too, and what impressed me was that there were so many vendors in the beginning jumping on to build stuff before the FJs even hit the shores here in the USA.

It has had all the maintenance done via my dealerships, and the major stuff done at 30K and 60K, including spark plugs at those mileage points too.
Oil changes are done at 3K.
Runs the same as the day I picked it up, and plenty of power with the 285x70x17 mud tires on it.

Well I guess I do have one complaint, they stopped importing them here to the USA.
If I had to replace it for some reason, I would go with a four door Tacoma, or perhaps a 4Runner, all new of course.

Taking the rig out in a few weeks for a week long camping trip, and I am sure it is as excited as I am to get back up to the mountains and get some fresh air and be around the ambiance of nature and a campfire.

index.php

Below are a few pics from my build thread of some mods that have gone on the rig in the past month or so, and I am not done yet, going to be putting on a new Masterpull synthetic winchline soon.

2.jpg

ARB rear bumper

1.jpg

Maxtrax and carrier for the spare tire
These are also useful for leveling the rig when setting it up to camp besides vehicle recovery.

2.jpg

ARB Intensity LED lights, so bright...

1.jpg

Warn Wireless Remote Control

3.jpg

5.jpg

Toyo Open Country M/T tires, and Demello Dominatorz sliders

Good job Corey. I just realized that mine is ten years old this month also.

I took delivery of mine on the 29th - just days behind you. I had searched high and low from dealership to online resources looking for a "bare bones" model with only the convenience package (electric mirrors and doors). Found something close enough and negotiated with an Atlanta dealership who picked it up from another dealer in Columbus, Georgia. When I drove it off the lot it had exactly 121 miles on it. Took it straight to the mountains of N. Georgia that very weekend.

My odometer is currently at 185K right now. I DD mine and have used it heavily off-road from the Outer Banks to Moab (and lots in between). My wife and I spent our honeymoon at the first FJ Summit and we plan to head westward again for our 10th anniversary, next year.

All issues I've had were mostly self inflicted. I went through several early (flawed) ring and pinion sets under warranty and have broken a few parts myself, but the engine and transmission are all original*. I'm due to change the rear main seal (its weeping now). I've dropped the trans fluid twice and replaced without forced pumping or flushing. I also had to replace the evaporator core in the AC system somewhere around the 170K mile mark. That involves ripping the entire dash apart so I took it to experts for that procedure.

*I busted the upper oil pan in March of this year and when I replaced it I could see the whole bottom end of the motor. You couldn't tell that it had +180,000 miles on it at all. Factory hone marks on the cylinders still visible.

My only complaint is the inner fender bulges/rips that have continued since year one. I will eventually replace these and possibly the whole front bib while I'm at it.

Plan on keeping this vehicle for a long, long time.

Good job Corey. I just realized that mine is ten years old this month also.
Thanks man!
I took delivery of mine on the 29th - just days behind you.
My only complaint is the inner fender bulges/rips that have continued since year one. I will eventually replace these and possibly the whole front bib while I'm at it.

Plan on keeping this vehicle for a long, long time.
I think there are a lot of us first year owners still out there too.
I forgot to mention I have no fender cracks or bulges, and I have a lot of weight up front with the ARB bumper, Warn XD9000 winch, and a dual battery setup under the hood.

My rig has only seen light wheeling though, mainly forest service roads and some trails.

Mine has 175,000+ miles and no fender bulges so far (haven't looked for a long time though). Body is otherwise a little rough though, from trail damage and hail. Still runs as good as new, and doesn't burn or leak a drop of oil between extended changes. Mostly a work truck for me now (oil field). No plans to sell it; still dependable and comfortable.

Nice job reminding us just how dependable the FJC (prado) platform is!
You are welcome, very great platform indeed.
Mine has 175,000+ miles and no fender bulges so far (haven't looked for a long time though). Body is otherwise a little rough though, from trail damage and hail. Still runs as good as new, and doesn't burn or leak a drop of oil between extended changes. Mostly a work truck for me now (oil field). No plans to sell it; still dependable and comfortable.
That is great to hear yours is holding up very great.

Good to hear these reports of few long term problems. Mine is still a baby by comparison.

Bought my '07 new in 2/08. It now has 90,000 miles and zero problems. Just replaced the windshield for the first time after my 5500 mile trip. It's a keeper. Mods to come after I move to St. George, UT.

I brought mine home 06/06. Just clicked over 36k miles, mostly off road. :D

I brought mine home 06/06. Just clicked over 36k miles, mostly off road. :D
Good gravy, and I thought mine was low mileage, yours is about half of mine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom