tbi secondary air pump (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
don't know if this is hardcore but her it goes. putting in a 1988 tbi 350 into 87 fj60 and it currently has a mechanical secondary air pump wich ties into the exhaust manifold. my question is i need a set of block hugger style headers preferrably long tube but i cant seem to find any with the air port in them, is it just possible to get rid of the pump without any adverse affects or is it more to it than this. because the way i see it i have seen other chevy trucks without theis air pump. if anyone has any info let me know i have no problem keeping it as long as i find headers for it . thanks all

bryon

come on anyone out there that has done the tbi swap and retained the air pump and found a set of headers or manifolds to work with the pump or am i on my own and i guess illl be making a set.
thanks all
Bryon

you should not need it. I think the only TBI motors of that era that had a pump on them, were the 7.4 liter engines (in heavy duty apps.). the chevy does not need an air pump as the fuel injection burns very clean with just an e.g.r., and as long as all your sensors are working... The air pump from your 2f is for your 2f (or is it a 3f or something in '87?), when smogging the new beast you will need to have it set up just as it was in the donor truck (whatever smog devices-probably just egr, and the cat, and the evap stuff)
The only thing I think you need to worry about with your manifolds, is getting your 02 sensor into one of them... don't know if you can get headers already setup for this, or if you will have to buy the fitting, and weld it in yourself.

I should also mention that I will soon be in a very similar boat as you... putting my '89 suburban tbi 350 into my '73 fj55 in a couple of days... don't have exhaust for it yet, so I would love to see a post in here with a pic or two of what you end up with...

Last edited:
see thats the thing though this tbi came with the air pump but there are 4 other trucks i have looked at that are newer than mine and they do not run them so i am going to quite worrying about it and pull the pump off. from what i can tell with my swap the stock manifolds would work on the passenger side bu because of the offset of the motor the drivers side exited into the framerail. rams horn or block hugger style seem to work and the block hugger style long tubes seem to put the outlet in a prime spot but time will tell since i still need to buy a pair to see if they work.

thanks all happy easter
Bryon

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom