TBI on older chevy V8 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I know some of you guys have done this on 4 cylinders and I guess its the same +/- what are the pro's and con's?:hmm: I need fuel injection....thought about propane, but want to keep my back seat. Howell fuel injection is $1250 +/-. I can purchase TBI stuff for approx $200, so what do i do? I failed to mention I could go 5.3 for about $2500. I need some input....good or bad!:D

Thanks for the input!

Purchased a complete TBI engine out of a 1991 suburban yesterday. The block is cracked but all the bells and whistles are still on the motor. I have a team of TBI experts on the ready 5 for the install and helpfull tips. I will inlist the help of the master of mahem photgraphy to take pics of the progress. (you know who you are) Anyway will try to keep you guys posted as i am sure you are hanging on my every word.

Purchased a complete TBI engine out of a 1991 suburban yesterday. The block is cracked but all the bells and whistles are still on the motor. I have a team of TBI experts on the ready 5 for the install and helpfull tips. I will inlist the help of the master of mahem photgraphy to take pics of the progress. (you know who you are) Anyway will try to keep you guys posted as i am sure you are hanging on my every word.

:banana: Batteries are charged...ready for action

There is a rumor going around tha Aug 27 may be a TBI work day.

I don't know anything about installing a TBI set up or for that matter much of anything "really" mechanical . . . but I couldn't help posting on the one cool thread on RLC.
Oh, and I heard Aug. 27 was the same day they were predicting 100+ temps again (just kidding, I know it never gets over 80 up in that hill country). . . aaannnnnd that's the weekend they run the Bristol nite race . . . . Sat'day nite
Bristol Motor Speedway - NASCAR.COM
Bristol Motor Speedway

Good wrenching
OldTruck

Keep us posted and you have until the 13th of Oct to get it done!

It just so happens that we are planning on working on it next weekend which is the John D hale band party:(

You ready to do this dance? See you Friday!

What a great weekend! went to the Reckless Kelly concert:beer: on friday with Josh,Lance,Mack,Ty,Mark and myself then Josh got the TBI fuel injection installed and working nicely! I am in great debt to Josh for his work. We have a whole bunch of photos to post and I think that Josh is going to give a brief discription about whats going on in the photos. Thank you Mack for taking the pics, Thanks to Lance and Ty, Thanks to all that where involved in this project. Thanks again Josh! :clap::cheers:

Day 1:

Start of the project. Carb pulled. TBI unit put on with Trans-Dapt steel adapter.
DSCN0255.jpg

Pulling parts from the donor motor. We used the TBI unit, distributor, ESC module and bracket, MAP sensor and bracket, Coil and bracket, and Knock sensor.
DSCN0262.jpg

Installing the distributor from the donor. Paying attention to the existing location of the rotor to get the timing in the ballpark.
DSCN0271.jpg

Day 1 Help Crew.
DSCN0261.jpg

And that wraps up Day 1. TBI unit and dizzy installed. Donor parts pulled.

Day 2:

The day began test fitting the throttle rod. Too long. :(
DSCN0276.jpg

Next I modified the holes in the coil bracket to use existing intake holes. Bolted it down and install the new cap/rotor on the dizzy.
DSCN0289.jpg

Then I cut and modified the stock MAP sensor bracked, and bolted it to the intake using one of the adapter plate bolts.
DSCN0306.jpg

In the meantime, Scott was pulling his passenger seat to get to the gas tank to run the return line. I'm glad he chose that task, because it seemed harder than it looked.
DSCN0312.jpg

DSCN0318.jpg

Next I cut and modifed the stock ESC bracket and bolted it to the intake the same way I did the map sensor. The Edelbrock intake didn't have the same mounting holes like the stock TBI intake did.
DSCN0317.jpg

Since Scott was on the floor, he put the O2 sensor in. It's on the driver side just below the manifold.
DSCN0328.jpg

DSCN0332.jpg

Then it came time to install the new plug wires.
DSCN0347.jpg

Scott and Eddie finish up reinstalling the seat after running the return line to the tank.
DSCN0350.jpg

Fuel pump removed and the block off plate from the donor motor is installed.
DSCN0353.jpg

Scott's radiator doesn't have a drain, so we had to pull the hose so I could put in the CTS and Knock sensor.
DSCN0358.jpg

Once we got the hose out of the way, we could install the 3/8 to 1/2 adapter, and then the CTS. But, the sensor is in the way of the radiator hose.
DSCN0367.jpg

No problem, we'll pull the tstat neck from the donor. But, it was cracked and broken. Two runs to the part store later, we had a new neck, and a new longer hose to reach it.
DSCN0394.jpg

Now it's time to install the wiring harness.
DSCN0372.jpg

Poke a hole through the firewall into the glovebox. Stuff the wires in.
DSCN0377.jpg

DSCN0378.jpg

DSCN0380.jpg

Plug some stuff up.
DSCN0384.jpg

Mount the relays. TBI main system relay on left. Fuel pump on right.
DSCN0393.jpg

Day 2 Continued:

Stand around and watch magic happen.
DSCN0398.jpg

Modify the throttle linkage.
DSCN0371.jpg

DSCN0402.jpg

Start it up and check things. Fired right up once I cranked it enough and the fuel pressure built up. Check for leaks. Set the base timing.
DSCN0408.jpg

Check the sensors. All looks great!
DSCN0400.jpg

Ready for a test drive. Existing air cleaner fits fine once Scott finds a metric bolt or wingnut to fit the stud.
DSCN0410.jpg

Day 2 went pretty smooth except for the 4 parts store runs we had to make for various things. Motor fired right up with no issues, leaks, or check engine lights. Once we set the timing and let it idle for a bit, we hit the road.

I watched the O2 sensor and BLM fuel tables during the drive. Tuning is dang near spot on.

Now all it needs is some trail time!!!

DSCN0298.jpg

DSCN0411.jpg

Thanks goes out to Mack for taking all the pictures and the video.

And thanks to Scott for buying my Reckless Kelly ticket Friday night. I had a great time and wished we didn't have to hurry off Saturday. The post install celebration sounded like fun.

Very Cool! Looks like a productive and fun wrenching session. Nice work on the conversion too!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom