Tapping Rearview Mirror or Rain Sensor for Camera/Radar - 2010 LX570 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

DownTheRoad

GOLD Star
Threads
I installed a radar detector today tapping into the rain sensor molex. I also explored the option of tapping into the rearview mirror auto dimming molex. I have a 2010 LX570. In each instance the far-left wire was the ground and the far-right wire was the ignition on/off line. In both cases, the voltage reported out was around 13.8V with ignition on and 1.0..V with ignition off. I just used the Home Depot branded digital multimeter to locate wires and test supplied currents. I have no idea if my multimeter is accurate on the readings, but the radar detector powers up and powers down with the ignition key. For my model (V1 Gen2), I used the Blendmount with no extension between the mirror stem attaching element and the visor harness. Pictures to help those wondering or needing to do something similar. I hope this helps.

PXL_20221104_221524439.MP.jpg
showing the taps I used on rain sensor molex

PXL_20221104_221653616.MP.jpg

This shows where you tap for the mirror (left) and rain sensor (right). See the black taps for the ground and red taps for the ignition on/off power.

PXL_20221104_223204315.MP.jpg

Side view of the Blendmount. You do not use the middle extension for V1 Gen2, remove the lower Allen bolt set.

PXL_20221104_223132045.MP.jpg

This is the top view of the Blendmount. You do not need the middle extension of using for V1 Gen2.

PXL_20221104_221703620.MP.jpg

PXL_20221104_221715790.MP.jpg

Last edited:
Great thread and tutorial. I am struggling a little bit on which wires to connect the sides to on the mirrortap since I am a little electrically challenged....

Last edited:
The molex connector should have 4 connection points in one row. You need to put the Ground in the far left box, and the positive wire in the far right ignition on box. The last picture shows the black ground and red positive taps installed in the molex for the rain sensor. Looking up and forward is the pov for the last picture in the thread above.

OK, I will give it a shot in the next week or so. I'll be out of pocket for a while. Thanks for the help.

If any of you haven't used these mirror taps they are truly outstanding for cameras, radar detectors, anything that requires ;ow power on the windshield.

If any of you haven't used these mirror taps they are truly outstanding for cameras, radar detectors, anything that requires ;ow power on the windshield.
This is for (likely) 2016+ facelift wiring

That is correct, however they may have solutions for older vehicles as well. I have not investigated that as I have a 2020 model. Below is the link to their site if interested.

As an alternative, it's just as viable and clean to use an add a circuit style fuse tap from the driver or passenger side footwells. I actually have 3x on mine running to the upper console for dashcam, travel trailer backup cam, and Echo Auto. I opted not to tap into the power supply up there because some of the current draws of the devices I have, with some drawing 4+ amps on its own like a dashcam. The wire is pretty easy to run. Just make sure to cross under the curtain airbags in the A-piller.

As an alternative, it's just as viable and clean to use an add a circuit style fuse tap from the driver or passenger side footwells. I actually have 3x on mine running to the upper console for dashcam, travel trailer backup cam, and Echo Auto. I opted not to tap into the power supply up there because some of the current draws of the devices I have, with some drawing 4+ amps on its own like a dashcam. The wire is pretty easy to run. Just make sure to cross under the curtain airbags in the A-piller.
i read from others that some fuse taps might be too bulky to keep the fuse cover closed.

do you recommend a specific brand of "add a circuit fuse tap" that will fit in the fuse box?

thanks for the help.

i read from others that some fuse taps might be too bulky to keep the fuse cover closed.

do you recommend a specific brand of "add a circuit fuse tap" that will fit in the fuse box?

thanks for the help.

Yes, I had to leave the fuse cover off. I'm not aware that there are ones low profile enough to fit the cover back on?

No particular brand, there's tons of generics on Amazon and they all seem to work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom