Tacoma shocks swapped. Update 09/22/19 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Thanks so much. I’ll give this a try later.
Did you get the lift installed?

Side note, just noticed the passenger side cv axel has either ripped or is loose. Hopefully just loose, grease has shot around the brake lines, knuckle, and chassis. Benefits and coincidence AFTER the lift of course 😒. Thinking of buying an oem repair kit or just buy a whole new axel for a easy swap, most I figure, would say boot repair kit from Toyota I'm sure (tedious process but I'm sure it's rewarding), but if I had to go with an axel instead, any suggestions besides the cheap stuff from autozone of those likes? Thanks!

Edit: read up on CVJ axels, seems legit with high angle boots. But unsure if it'll warrant that type of swap, I'm sure it won't hurt but not necessary. I'll probably stick with the tedious stuff and save $$$ on a oem boot kit.

IMG_20190906_104559.jpg

Last edited:
Did you get the lift installed?

Side note, just noticed the passenger side cv axel has either ripped or is loose. Hopefully just loose, grease has shot around the brake lines, knuckle, and chassis. Benefits and coincidence AFTER the lift of course 😒. Thinking of buying an oem repair kit or just buy a whole new axel for a easy swap, most I figure, would say boot repair kit from Toyota I'm sure (tedious process but I'm sure it's rewarding), but if I had to go with an axel instead, any suggestions besides the cheap stuff from autozone of those likes? Thanks!

Edit: read up on CVJ axels, seems legit with high angle boots. But unsure if it'll warrant that type of swap, I'm sure it won't hurt but not necessary. I'll probably stick with the tedious stuff and save $$$ on a oem boot kit.

View attachment 2076929
Yeah I got the lift installed. I went ahead and disconnected KDSS sway bars from LCA and had a hard time putting it back together, so I had a nephew help me. It was a piece of cake as soon as I learned how to haggle with the sway bar.

That's a lot of grease. So far I'm lucky enough not to have any CV issues **crossing my fingers**. But yeah OEM or CVJ's sounds good.

Yeah I got the lift installed. I went ahead and disconnected KDSS sway bars from LCA and had a hard time putting it back together, so I had a nephew help me. It was a piece of cake as soon as I learned how to haggle with the sway bar.

That's a lot of grease. So far I'm lucky enough not to have any CV issues **crossing my fingers**. But yeah OEM or CVJ's sounds good.

Glad the install went well, what did you lift it with? The sway bar is a PITA. Glad I read up in advance before I did the lift. But with a jack and another set of hands, it's pretty easy to align the sway bar back in place. I think the boot just ripped recently, so the internals should be salvageable. I should be able to replace just the outer boot while keeping the inner locked into the trans. Just have to remember to match and mark the components when I remove them.

Edit: placed an order online for the OEM boot repair kit via Amazon. On a side note, got a buddy who lifted his 4runner recently and changed out his coils to icon for a 3 inch lift. The coils he took out are still new, which are OME 895x. Says they give a 2 inch lift. He just gave them to me cause he was gonna just throw them out! I'll try this set and see how it rides, though I hear that OME are extremely reliable but hard on the ride, but hopefully not as bad as my tricked out airbags!

Last edited:
Glad the install went well, what did you lift it with? The sway bar is a PITA. Glad I read up in advance before I did the lift. But with a jack and another set of hands, it's pretty easy to align the sway bar back in place. I think the boot just ripped recently, so the internals should be salvageable. I should be able to replace just the outer boot while keeping the inner locked into the trans. Just have to remember to match and mark the components when I remove them.

Edit: placed an order online for the OEM boot repair kit via Amazon. On a side note, got a buddy who lifted his 4runner recently and changed out his coils to icon for a 3 inch lift. The coils he took out are still new, which are OME 895x. Says they give a 2 inch lift. He just gave them to me cause he was gonna just throw them out! I'll try this set and see how it rides, though I hear that OME are extremely reliable but hard on the ride, but hopefully not as bad as my tricked out airbags!
I went with Dobinsons 2.5" all around + SPC UCA's. I went with medium duty springs with comfort valved shocks in the rear. So far they're pretty good. I like the ride better than stock. Handling is better. No more nose dives. It's a bit stiffer than stock but only by a margin. I can still feel the road but that's because my LCA and sway bar bushings need to be replaced. I just dropped off the GX at America's Tire for some 285 Wildpeaks. I'm excited to see how they ride. Can't wait til 5:00!

I went with Dobinsons 2.5" all around + SPC UCA's. I went with medium duty springs with comfort valved shocks in the rear. So far they're pretty good. I like the ride better than stock. Handling is better. No more nose dives. It's a bit stiffer than stock but only by a margin. I can still feel the road but that's because my LCA and sway bar bushings need to be replaced. I just dropped off the GX at America's Tire for some 285 Wildpeaks. I'm excited to see how they ride. Can't wait til 5:00!
I hear great things about Dobinsons. Great setup. I was initially worried about lifting with kdss but this site helped reassured doubts. I had Wildpeaks on my 3rd gen 4runner, loved the way how they ride! You keeping stock wheels or upgrading? Post pics when you get it out from the tire shop!

I hear great things about Dobinsons. Great setup. I was initially worried about lifting with kdss but this site helped reassured doubts. I had Wildpeaks on my 3rd gen 4runner, loved the way how they ride! You keeping stock wheels or upgrading? Post pics when you get it out from the tire shop!
They're going on SCS Ray 10's 17x8.5 -10. This will be my first set of Wildpeaks. I'm hopping on the bandwagon to see what the fuss is all about. I've had Cooper Discoverer STT Pro's and 2 sets of KO2's. The STT Pro's were loud but great all around. The KO2's were fantastic in California weather lol. I don't think I'll take full advantage of the Wildpeak's in Cali. Not much rain or snow here. I'll post up pictures when I get home tonight.

They're going on SCS Ray 10's 17x8.5 -10. This will be my first set of Wildpeaks. I'm hopping on the bandwagon to see what the fuss is all about. I've had Cooper Discoverer STT Pro's and 2 sets of KO2's. The STT Pro's were loud but great all around. The KO2's were fantastic in California weather lol. I don't think I'll take full advantage of the Wildpeak's in Cali. Not much rain or snow here. I'll post up pictures when I get home tonight.
Cool, love the SCS Ray's 10. Nice setup, you won't be disappointed.

Replaced a few things and added some upgrades yesterday. Cv axel on passenger side ripped, so bought a cv boot kit from Amazon (genuine Toyota parts) to do the repair. Tnever did a job like this, it was very time consuming/tedious to say the least, but rewarding knowing I did the work. I did a mod where it allowed the inner part of the boot to extend and used a work clamp to hold it in place. Then compiled my coil conversion kit and was able to put them together to do the conversion with Toytec Superflex. Ended up getting moog upper isolators for dirt cheap @ $9 for the pair and used that to help with metal to metal contact. Then went to add rear door handles to the rear tailgate. Truck rides MUCH better compared to with the over inflated airbags. Very happy with the results, will report back here if anything goes wrong.

IMG_20190921_084535.jpg

Grease all over calipers and brake line.
IMG_20190921_090731.jpg

Parts for reference.
IMG_20190921_084552.jpg

IMG_20190921_084556.jpg

IMG_20190921_084623.jpg

Last edited:
My coil conversion kit. It's a DIY kit.

IMG_20190921_084633.jpg

New rear door handle with hardware.
IMG_20190921_084642.jpg

Airbag/comfort /sport control delete with this console box hole. Good for putting coins in!
IMG_20190921_084651.jpg

Old boot ready for repair.
IMG_20190921_093906.jpg

Exposing and cleaned off the tripod. I reused the lower part of the old boot as you can see here, slipper over the new boot to make an extension for the new boot.
IMG_20190921_101116.jpg

Last edited:
New extended boot is in. Brown greae goes into inner boot and black grease went into outer boot. Used a worm clamp as seen here since I extended the boot. Oem clam was too big to provide stronger clamp.

IMG_20190921_114321.jpg

My diy coil conversion kit. Hockey pucks, energy suspension for the lower isolators.
IMG_20190921_150408.jpg

Airbags removed, kit installed with hardware.
IMG_20190921_151555.jpg

Superflex installed. Had to remove bolts to allow brake lines to give more flexibility from axel.
IMG_20190921_155529.jpg

Airbag controls are about to be removed.
IMG_20190921_183819.jpg

Last edited:
Replaced it with the new console box hole. Didn't find the need to use the controls so this was a better option.

IMG_20190921_184033.jpg

Took rear pane off and bolted the bolts to existing hole where the OEM handle snapped into.
IMG_20190921_185943.jpg

Fisnished product. Question is, "would I use it?" 😂.
IMG_20190921_191147.jpg

Last edited:
How it sits at the moment. Unsure if the coils would settle down, but ride has improved dramatically compared to the over inflated airbags. Very happy with the results and can enjoy driving the plush ride once again.

IMG_20190921_183615.jpg

IMG_20190921_214521_255.jpg

PSX_20190921_203307.jpg

PSX_20190921_203237.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom