Tacoma shocks swapped. Update 09/22/19 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey there guys, been a lurker for some time, been doing a lot of reading on suspension upgrades and reading up on what will work and what won't work. I have an opportunity to get a set of fox shocks 2.0 with around 5k miles. I plan to do a mild lift and mainly use it for my commute, light trails for fishing and camping trips but most of drive will come from 90% commuting. My 120 is stock, no plans to add any heavy gear or bumpers, just replacing the rear OEM shocks that are going out. I hear that the Tacoma suspension would bolt right up front of our chassis but that the rear would require a new eyelet bushing in order to have it bolt up. I understand that there are several configurations I can go; toytec ultimates, dobsons, bilstein and etc, but for the price and with some modifications, would this be a bad deal/idea? Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Guess pictures are worth more to comment on than comments themselves. Made the purchase, just need to get a different eyelet bushing to fit the rears. My rig, 06 GX Sport, with 173k, all stock with the exception of 265/70/17 BRIDGESTONE DUELLER AT that came with the truck. Plan on swapping wheels and tires to possibly 285/70-75/17Falken AT3s in the near future.

IMG_20190808_182136.jpg

PSX_20190808_184543.jpg

Last edited:
They look nice! Let us know how the install goes. Do you know the load rating on the front coils? Do you still have the stock airbags in the rear?

They look nice! Let us know how the install goes. Do you know the load rating on the front coils? Do you still have the stock airbags in the rear?

Spring rate from according to Fox states 600lb. I don't plan on throwing on any metal bumpers, maybe sliders in the future. Rear air bags are still on the truck, still functions and will delete them for a metal tech spring conversion when it's time. I'll probably be doing the washer method to trick the rear airbags to give an extra inch or so. I'll keep you guys updated when the lift is on 😎

I am running Gen2 Tacoma prerunner Bilsteins and springs on the front of my GX. Installed easily and lifted it up around an inch.

I am running Gen2 Tacoma prerunner Bilsteins and springs on the front of my GX. Installed easily and lifted it up around an inch.
Nice. I need to research a bit on measurements on the GX and configure the coilovers to give me a 1-2 inch lift. Seller said the shop that installed it for him had it set about 2.5-2.75 inches. Unsure how much difference in lift it would give me due to the weight differences from the Tacoma to my gx so that will take some figuring out. Plus the coilovers need to be pressed in order to be adjusted, so that makes things a bit more tedious to deal with but not impossible. Good to know and assuring that most of Toyota parts are interchangeable. Did you happen to change out the bushing on the rear shocks too? I was going to use energy suspension 9.8108g hour glass bushings. Having a hard time finding the right sleeve to fit the eyelet though.

Nice. I need to research a bit on measurements on the GX and configure the coilovers to give me a 1-2 inch lift. Seller said the shop that installed it for him had it set about 2.5-2.75 inches. Unsure how much difference in lift it would give me due to the weight differences from the Tacoma to my gx so that will take some figuring out. Plus the coilovers need to be pressed in order to be adjusted, so that makes things a bit more tedious to deal with but not impossible. Good to know and assuring that most of Toyota parts are interchangeable. Did you happen to change out the bushing on the rear shocks too? I was going to use energy suspension 9.8108g hour glass bushings. Having a hard time finding the right sleeve to fit the eyelet though.

No, I used 4Runner bilsteins for the rear and they fit perfectly.

Finished the installation, took about 8 hours. Ran into a few hiccups, stripped a bolt to one of the front struts, drove to the local salvage yard to replace the bolt, and had to make a few modifications to my tools to make the job work. I measured from center of hub to fender:
Before lift:
19.5 driver side
20.0 passenger side
20.25 driver rear
20.75 passenger rear.

After lift:
22.5 driver side
22.25 passenger side
21.0 driver rear
21.25 passenger rear
Ride quality? I'm overall happy with it, was expecting a bit stiffer but it is what it is, the truck sits leveled but I might adjust the AHC to make the rear sit another 0.75 to 1.5 higher in the rear. On a side note, scored a tow hitch from a 05 4runner sport 4wd at the local salvage yard for $8! Top picture is before and bottom picture is after.

IMG_20190817_205606.jpg

IMG_20190817_194507.jpg

IMG_20190817_194620.jpg

IMG_20190817_201030.jpg

Last edited:
Nice job measuring before and after. Where did you set the front coils to get 22.5” upfront?

Your are a little low on the rear and will be perfect when you raise the rear.

Nice job measuring before and after. Where did you set the front coils to get 22.5” upfront?

Your are a little low on the rear and will be perfect when you raise the rear.

Thanks! To be honest, the PO had it set to around 2. 5-2.75 in his Tacoma, I knew I'd at least get around 2-2.5 with my heavier GX. Yes, I agree, the rears are sitting a bit lower, but after 8 hrs (most of that was from the front suspension with KDSS) of wrenching, I called it a day. I'll work on the AHC tomorrow and will report back with new measurements, hopefully the extra height will stiffen the suspension a bit more.

An update, adjusted the rear airbags and tricked them to get 23 inched of lift now. Compared to the 21 in, so basically tricked it the get a 3 inch lift in the rear to accommodate the 2.25 lift in the front. The airbags tend to fluctuate between 22.75 to 23 so either ways, I'm much more happier with how it appears. Going to add (hopefully) some goodyear duratracs 265/70 /17 and get her aligned tomorrow 😎

IMG_20190818_165207.jpg

So, did you have to change out the rear eyelets? Were they hard to source?

Changed them out by using a buddy's press. Used energy suspension 9.8108g bushings. Little bit of grease, hammer, and wood to get it all to fit. Was pretty simple really. Our 120 has a sleeve with thread, just needed to replace the bushing since the ones off the Tacoma has a bushing along with a sleeve.

Thanks for the update. I did a swap from my brothers TRD Sport to my v6 4runner years ago and it was a quick easy way to get a little lift. How is the ride with that much air in the rear bags all the time? I would expect that is really firm on the speed bumps?

Thanks for the update. I did a swap from my brothers TRD Sport to my v6 4runner years ago and it was a quick easy way to get a little lift. How is the ride with that much air in the rear bags all the time? I would expect that is really firm on the speed bumps?
No problem. I honestly was thinking it was going to be harsher, but not at all. Took it on a drive both city and highway and it did fine. I also picked up the duratracs and with the extra load, did great!

Side note, I was going to get it aligned today, but driving the truck yesterday, I noticed that my truck drove like it did before the lift, straight. No wandering or any funny jerks going over speed bumps or any bumps really. So do I still go in for an alignment? I was under the impression that an alignment was needed if it wanders or jerks?

I'd get an alignment anyway to make sure you have zero toe, otherwise you'll chew through tires faster.
Ok, I knew tires may have or will be compromised, so I'll go ahead and get it done, thanks for the reassurance!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom