Tacoma frame (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Very common with early 2nd gen Tacomas. The frame coatings were crap and caused premature and catastrophic rusting. I personally know two people who had theirs replaced. One had zero problems after the swap and the other was plagued with over a year of problems (before he sold it), including electrical gremlins, shifter link issues (manual), bolts not properly torqued, etc. I guess it depends on the dealership and the skill/experience level of the techs working on the truck.

I just picked up a 2015 last year of the 2nd Gens , truck only has 16k on it is very clean except the previous owner did not clean the underside of the the truck after winter salt / snow events .
The rest of the truck looks and runs like new .
I inspected the frame on this one has some rust starting but I am going to take care and Por-15 and rubber coat the areas prone to rust .
Only problem you get with buying used trucks with frames replaced is who did the job , I have seen some great no problem perfect like new swaps .
And I have seen , there was a reason the truck is for sale the frame swap was great but everything else on the truck is falling apart and just a problem truck now .
So do your self and favor and really check the truck out and if possible the dealer who did the swap would be a good idea .

Yes, Toyota is still replacing frames under recall. My 2006 Tacoma had the frame replaced, which included new front lower control arms and new rear leaf springs. Bascially the entire underside of the truck was new....then 4 months later a lady rear ended my truck, bent the frame, and it was totalled by insurance. :bang:. Toyota stands by their products...so now I have a 2017 Tacoma and love it.

In some ways I would like to leave the truck alone to keep on rusting but that is a gamble , the truck is in great shape and only 16k . It would take 5yrs of bad salt exposure and not caring about the truck .
I wish Toyota would have taken more care in corrosion protection .
I had a 2017 Tacoma and I did not see any extra steps in the painting / corrosion steps taken .
I have a new 2019 Land Cruise and as others have posted they have problem rust areas .
Back in the day I was in the car business , I remember a service guy telling someone “ If you don’t drive it in the salt it won’t rust “ ... LOL
I had a 2017 Tacoma 4cyl 4x4 manual was a great truck till it got hit and totaled , only weird problem I had was would be sitting at the light and the speedOmeter would climb to 100 MPH and I was not moving .
I just picked up this 2015 4cyl auto 4x4 , nothing special but clean except for the painting and undercoating I have to do for a 4cyl it gets the job done , keeps the land cruiser clean .

2BCDDBA3-3DDD-45DE-AC1E-80F7AA58FE47.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom