Taco SAS question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Okay, so if you do an SAS on a Tacoma, and you're planning on running an '85 front axle and doubled up mini t-cases, could you just buy a Taco prerunner, or are the transmissions different? It seems like if you're planning on cutting out all the front end stuff and using a different t-case, you might as well save the extra scratch for extra stuff later on, rather than buying a 4x4 and basically scrapping all the 4wd componentry anyway. Okay, discuss pros/cons, etc...

:cheers:

Also, what about just scrapping the Taco' tranny in lieu of a mini tranny. I've heard that they make an adapter for a 3.4 v-6 to mini 5-speed, but will the mini tranny hold up to the extra HP and torque?

go to tacomaterritory.com. Scrap the mini-truck front axle; it's 5" narrower than the rear.

INFO for the SAS tacoma questions

I own a 02 Tacoma SAS. I cut it up about 3 years ago, so I have delt with some trial & error. Fxxx. there was no parts even available for the swap really at that time. Hit me up if I can be some help.

What kind of axle did you use?

SAS axle

I went with a driverside entry dana 44 out of a 81 wagoneer which is a perfect match track width and the original spring perches are right below were the new sprung over perches go , so I use those as U bolt guides to help prevent side to side movement. Avoid 85 and up waggy axles do to vacumm disconnect or mode shift , what ever you know it as.

SAS axle

I forgot to tell you that a FORD high pinion is also driverside entry, but these axles if you can find one need to be narrowed. This allows you to line your diff straight with the transfer case opposed to a slight angle. Both these axles have to be cut and turned for proper caster & pinion angles, so I don't think having a few inches narrowed off during cut & turn would cost any extra. You just need measurements

I sas'd mine also w/a waggy dana44. The toy. sfa's are too narrow to match tacoma rears w/o huge ass wheel spacers. They also have the diff on the wrong side.
As to starting off w/a prerunner, you will have to swap in a 4wd transmission and a t-case. May as well just start w/a 4wd. I recouped a grand selling all my IFS **** after I cut it off so I don't feel bad about it.
129187.jpg

129185.jpg

I forgot to tell you that a FORD high pinion is also driverside entry, but these axles if you can find one need to be narrowed. This allows you to line your diff straight with the transfer case opposed to a slight angle. Both these axles have to be cut and turned for proper caster & pinion angles, so I don't think having a few inches narrowed off during cut & turn would cost any extra. You just need measurements
Ford axles do not need to be narrowed. They are 6" wider than the Taco rear, and I enjoyed the hell out of my wider front axle... really added noticable stability.

I originally wanted to swap the rear with a T-100 axle so I could widen the rear, but frankly the narrower rear was an advantage on tight trails.

To the OP, starting with a Prerunner is more of a liability than an advantage, as already stated above by my esteemed colleague from Kansas.

Ford axles do not need to be narrowed. They are 6" wider than the Taco rear, and I enjoyed the hell out of my wider front axle... really added noticable stability.

I originally wanted to swap the rear with a T-100 axle so I could widen the rear, but frankly the narrower rear was an advantage on tight trails.

To the OP, starting with a Prerunner is more of a liability than an advantage, as already stated above by my esteemed colleague from Kansas.
What up Chris!
I couldn't agree more on the ford axle, my buddy just went full width w/a d44 from a f250, he is SO much more stable then i am on side hills etc.

pre-Runner's with autos no longer are a disadvantage. Jim @ Inchworm Gear now has a 2-wd auto to gear driven t-case adapter available. Revivalist on PBB/TTORA used this on his conversion. If a person is planning dual cases, the pre-runner is now a good, cheaper, option.

That's interesting news!

I am still not sure it warrants saying a pre-runner is not a disadvantage to 4x4 though. When you strip out the 4x4, you have parts with a decent market to sell to.

The small difference in price between Prerunner and 4x4 is pretty much made up when you sell the front drivetrain... and then you still have to buy your t-case and adapter.

Either way, doing a good, strong SAS is not gonna be cheap anyway you slice it. :D

pre-Runner's with autos no longer are a disadvantage. Jim @ Inchworm Gear now has a 2-wd auto to gear driven t-case adapter available. Revivalist on PBB/TTORA used this on his conversion. If a person is planning dual cases, the pre-runner is now a good, cheaper, option.

That's kinda what I was thinking. Plus, I don't really care about trying to sell the IFS stuff. I just figure that the pre-runners have a better chance of having been bought by someone that wanted the "look" and never took it offroad. Plus, they share the 4wd's wider fenders and bedsides. Just want to judge what the consensus is. Plus, If I could use the prerunner auto to gear driven toyota case, i could use an fzj-80 axle. Booyah!

That's kinda what I was thinking. Plus, I don't really care about trying to sell the IFS stuff. I just figure that the pre-runners have a better chance of having been bought by someone that wanted the "look" and never took it offroad. Plus, they share the 4wd's wider fenders and bedsides. Just want to judge what the consensus is. Plus, If I could use the prerunner auto to gear driven toyota case, i could use an fzj-80 axle. Booyah!

Skip the fj-80 axle... too hard to get quality steering for it these days. OTT is no longer machining knuckles for them. Look into Diamond or a Dana 44 instead.

meh, I really would like to keep it all toyota, if possible

Thanks Chris. It's still all in the EARLY planning phase for now.

absolutely. Actually, I have a buddy down in Houston that just built a buggy, and is in the process of building another buggy that's gonna need some fiberglass work. I may trade him some fiberglass work for some axle swap work. Brilliant! By the way, his name is Dave, and he's getting a business started called Gulf Coast Crawl Shop. They do some really amazing work. Click the links up there and see his buggies. PM me if you want some more info, since this isn't the vendors section and I'm not a vendor.

:cheers:

edit: fixed the link for the second buggy and added this link of some wheeling pics in the first buggy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom