Switch from 100 to GX470 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just got a GX470 after years of 100 ownership and I was shocked to find out that the GX has like 1.5 less inches of ground clearance!

I thought both were just as capable off road, but certainly not with their stock ground clearances! My question is, is there any way for me to increase the ground clearance, or “lift” it slightly without saying goodbye to the adjustable stock suspension and air bags? I would be happy as a clam with the 9.5” of ground clearance that my hundy had.

Just got a GX470 after years of 100 ownership and I was shocked to find out that the GX has like 1.5 less inches of ground clearance!

I thought both were just as capable off road, but certainly not with their stock ground clearances! My question is, is there any way for me to increase the ground clearance, or “lift” it slightly without saying goodbye to the adjustable stock suspension and air bags? I would be happy as a clam with the 9.5” of ground clearance that my hundy had.
Get a set of 33-35" tires. That should get you there. Some guys here are running pizza cutters - a narrow tire but with a tall sidewall that helps to lift the truck an inch or two. Beware that your speedometer will be slightly off.

Get a set of 33-35" tires. That should get you there. Some guys here are running pizza cutters - a narrow tire but with a tall sidewall that helps to lift the truck an inch or two. Beware that your speedometer will be slightly off.
Ah, I see. I’m just a little out of the loop on all that can or should be done to do that. I mean, can I use the same rim and get a different tire on it? Or does this mean that I need to buy new rims to fit something bigger? If I can use my original rims, how big can I go with new rubber?

Ah, I see. I’m just a little out of the loop on all that can or should be done to do that. I mean, can I use the same rim and get a different tire on it? Or does this mean that I need to buy new rims to fit something bigger? If I can use my original rims, how big can I go with new rubber?
Yes, you may keep your stock wheels and put a larger diameter tire on them. Look at this discussion: GX470 Wheel/Tire/Lift Picture Combination Thread - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/gx470-wheel-tire-lift-picture-combination-thread.970666/page-22#post-13540753
Or do a search on this forum: Largest tire while keeping suspension stock. Or something like that.

You can keep the air suspension with a 2" lift. Airbag man sells kits. I just had some installed. The adjustable shocks will have to go.

20210304_113542_HDR.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom