Swiss Steak (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Not my recipe. Got it from a friend. I made some modifications, which follow.

------------

Swiss Steak

4 cube steaks Coat with flour and brown about 4 min a side on med heat in large fry pan using 3-4 TB of any oil and about 1 TS of smoky bacon fat

Add to pan on top of steaks the following in no specific order

½ large onion sliced separated rings

½ green pepper sliced

2 stalks celery chopped

1 TB chopped garlic

1 TB paprika

1 TS of crushed oregano

1-2 TB Tomato paste

1 14.5 oz can of petite diced tomatoes incl juice

1-1/2 C of water 1 beef bouillon cube. 1-2 TB of Worcestershire sauce

Some salt and pepper

Into a 325 oven covered for 1-1/2 to 2 hours.

Serve with mashed potatoes or rice or egg noodles. Serves 4

-----------

I made this tonight, per the recipe with some exceptions. Used a small can of tomato paste, not 1 or 2 tablespoons. Used a whole green pepper, and should have used two. Instead of salt and pepper, used Valerie's old family seasoning mix, from when her grandparents had a restaurant in Montreal. And sprinkled a mix of grated Italian cheeses on it after serving it up. Served it on egg noodles. Made it all in one covered fry pan. I did make the "sauce" in a sealable container and shook it with the smaller ingredients to make sure they were blended. Poured this into the diced tomatoes, then poured all that on the meat and vegetables.

Very fine dish. The meat could be cut with a fork. Taste like an Italian dish, so it's probably from the Italian part of Switzerland. I used a Walla Walla Sweet onion, which almost was like candy after cooking.

We're going to try this again, but with pork loin chops, and maybe later with chicken breasts. A very good, simple recipe.

Sounds good!
I like the sauce mixing method, clever way of avoiding dirtying a whisk or fork.

Re "Swiss" steak isn't a Swiss dish, but of English origin, during a phase in English culture where dishes got named after the method used in preparation, I believe "swissing" meat meant to run sharp blades across it (cubing it).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom