Swinging Chicken (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

rusty_tlc

Dain Bramaged Member
Threads
Website
forum.ih8mud.com
AKA coffee can chicken.

Punch or drill holes in gallon size tin can 1 inch up from the bottom and spaced 1 inch apart around the can. Place 18 briquettes (no more no less) in the bottom of the can and light. (The can gets hot enough to burn the grass below it so be very careful where you place the can.) Rub chicken with butter and season as you like. Wrap chicken with heavy aluminum foil twice. (First in the side to side direction and then from bottom to top. Make sure foil closing point is on the top of the chicken.) Once charcoal has turned white, place the chicken into the can with the legs facing the top of the can. It's perfectly fine if the chicken sticks out of the can. Leave the can and chicken sit for 3 hours. When 3 hours has past you can remove the chicken from the can and when you open the foil the chicken will be fall off the bone tender, juicy and delicious.

Sometimes people make a bail and hang the can hence "Swinging Chicken"

Anybody ever try this? Sounds like a great no stress camp meal.

sounds stressful to me...not to mention hauling around a gallon can :D

cut it, grill it, eat it. Boom :D

sounds stressful to me...not to mention hauling around a gallon can :D

cut it, grill it, eat it. Boom :D
I don't know where the stress would come in. Light some charcoal, wrap the chicken, stuff it in the can and go for a hike, take a nap, or fish for a few hours. Come back and dinner is cooked.
I could see using a compound butter with lemon zest, marjoram and thyme. Throw some finger potatoes and asparagus in the steamer for sides.

I doubt you would even notice a #10 can amongst the gear that makes up the fully equipped commercial kitchen you haul. :flipoff2:

Here's how it goes: While out hiking...sparks from the coals get blown by the 50mph Nevada "breeze" into the nearby sage thicket...chicken becomes irrelevant, stressful and a huge hassle :flipoff2:

Cut, grill, eat :D.

Now all this thinking/typing about grilled chicken has me hungery...and it's 11:25PM...oh fawk it I'll just go roll open a can of sardines :D

I can see Bass Pro selling the "Chicken Can" for $15 plus shipping.....o_O

This is an old school method I remember from scouting. We called it Hobo chicken. Maybe in today's speak, it would be disenfranchised homeless chicken. Works OK. I'm with spresso though, anything that takes 3 hours plus prep, would require more beer than is healthy while cooking.

Where's the picture of your results?

No pictures since I haven't tried it yet. I just saw it on the interweb while I was surfing and thought it sounded pretty fun. Then Downer Dan painted the whole fiery apocalypse scenario.:skull:

BTW no chicken should be homeless, there's always room in my belly. :grinpimp:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom