Swapping diffs on my 60

Discussion in '60-Series Wagons' started by lovetoski, Jan 20, 2004.

1. lovetoski

lovetoski SILVER Star

Hi all,

Sometime this spring, when the planets line up and I have two free weekend days and warm dry weather (no garage) I'm going to rebuild the front axle on my fj60. While I'm at it (famous last words!) I thought I could swap my diffs. The rear has about 1/8 of a revolution of play, and the output flange (not sure if that's the correct name for it - it's the flange on the nose of the diff that the driveshaft bolts to) also has some up/down or side-to-side play. No noise from either diff though. At 275,000 miles, the rear should be worn more than the front I guess...

I pulled the diff on my fzj80 when I redid the front axle, and all in all that wasn't too hard. Any tricks on pulling the rear? Any reasons I shouldn't do this swap?

I'm practical, not cheap. If I can make what I have last longer, then I do. If it makes more sense to replace it, then I get the best I can afford.

Thanks for the help.

Doug Graham

2. Poser

Poser Oh...Durka Durka Durka. s-Moderator Supporting Vendor

Media:
    Albums:
    Should not be that big of a deal, just get the book and read through the c-clip removal, and you will be good to go.

Good luck!

-Steve

3. fsusteve

fsusteve

Media:
    Albums:
    A guy down here does that very thing with his 60 every 150k or so. I believe he's close to 400k or 500k miles now with no issues.

4. Man Jerk

Man Jerk

I think that is a great idea. No reason why you shouldn't do it.

Like they said, easy no problem. They are heavy, about 75 lbs.

5. TOZOVR

TOZOVR

HAHAH I was JUST thinking about this the other day LOL!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.