1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Swapping diffs on my 60

Discussion in '60-Series Wagons' started by lovetoski, Jan 20, 2004.

1. lovetoski

lovetoski SILVER Star

Hi all,

Sometime this spring, when the planets line up and I have two free weekend days and warm dry weather (no garage) I'm going to rebuild the front axle on my fj60. While I'm at it (famous last words!) I thought I could swap my diffs. The rear has about 1/8 of a revolution of play, and the output flange (not sure if that's the correct name for it - it's the flange on the nose of the diff that the driveshaft bolts to) also has some up/down or side-to-side play. No noise from either diff though. At 275,000 miles, the rear should be worn more than the front I guess...

I pulled the diff on my fzj80 when I redid the front axle, and all in all that wasn't too hard. Any tricks on pulling the rear? Any reasons I shouldn't do this swap?

I'm practical, not cheap. If I can make what I have last longer, then I do. If it makes more sense to replace it, then I get the best I can afford.

Thanks for the help.

Doug Graham

2. Poser

Poser Oh...Durka Durka Durka. s-Moderator Supporting Vendor

Media:
    Albums:
    Should not be that big of a deal, just get the book and read through the c-clip removal, and you will be good to go.

Good luck!

-Steve

3. fsusteve

fsusteve

Media:
    Albums:
    A guy down here does that very thing with his 60 every 150k or so. I believe he's close to 400k or 500k miles now with no issues.

4. Man Jerk

Man Jerk

I think that is a great idea. No reason why you shouldn't do it.

Like they said, easy no problem. They are heavy, about 75 lbs.

5. TOZOVR

TOZOVR

HAHAH I was JUST thinking about this the other day LOL!