swaped a 2005 tunda engine into a 2001 lexus lx470 this week (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
overlooking the Mississippi River @ Memphis
Just posting this for those who want to know, I found just about zero on this in a web search so.. I thought I would share...
best deal I found on an engine was a 82k mile unit off ebay $1100 plus $250 shipping to my door It was out of a 2005 Tundra that i got the carfax with, came complete minus a/c and alternator, everything else was there including the wiring harness, exhaust manifolds, mounts hoses ect all capped off sealed and strapped to a pallet. the fan clutch/fan shaft was broken as described
Before it got here I had already ordered a complete timing belt /water pump kit.

What I could USE.. was the basic Long Block from the Tundra, (and used the o2 exhaust sensors)

I swapped: the complete oil pan W/pickup. complete intake with throttle body, Oil Filter mount, exhaust manifolds, complete wiring harness, all brackets and mounts even the dip stick, (starter the lexus just looked bigger/better) I did use the exhaust o2 sensors off the low mile tundra, I had to replace the exhaust studs I broke on the lexus manifolds, I did the timing belt water pump while on the stand (less than 1hr labor)
replaced as many hoses as i could, anyway... I'm slow with a lot of pictures to remember hose and wire routes and mount locations... took me about 30hrs total and about $1600 by the time i was done. nothing hard about it... very few hidden bolts... only engines I ever swapped before were SBC in my dirt track cars and British sports cars have not done that in 20 years... you can do this whole job with a few sockets /wrenches/ extensions in the 10mm/14mm/17mm/ and 22mm? (harmonic balance crankshaft bolt) one pair of pliers for the hose clamps and an engine stand helps... I did it in my warehouse with a forklift.... pretty simple job which might be why there aren't many threads on it.
so if anyone needs... a 2005 tundra manifold/throttle body, oil pan, wire harness, exhaust manifolds ect... :)

I'm interested to know how it runs... the 2005 Tundra has a VVT-I engine.

What happened to your old engine?

What happened to your old engine?
I assumed timing belt broke... 172k and was never replaced... (ok i know better) engine quit puked out all the coolant and spun over with what seemed like zero compression when i saw it wasn't the belt... I assumed (again) water pump as it lost all the fluid and at the least blew a head gasket /warped a head... the facts as i NOW know them... are the radiator had a huge leak at the top tank seam... lost all the coolant and the engine quit... I had no desire to fix a 172k engine vs swap in a 82k unit... just as a side note... I was surprised how good the original timing belt and all the front engine hardware & parts looked upon tearing it down... inspecting the long block since i had to remove the manifolds and the oil pan I'm guessing head gaskets would have fixed it... but if I had to have the heads worked I'd have spent half what I spent on the Tundra Engine... I'm thinking the Tundra engine with all the service work done will now give me peace of mind... It's still a very nice pearl white LX470 that my wife likes even after me trying to get her a new car for the last 5 years... " I don't see anything I'd like better" is what she tells me... so...

Ah,ok. Yeah, putting in another engine is much better than chasing down a bunch of things that could potentially be wrong with that other motor.

Nice job, I hadn't seen much info regarding tundra engines into 100s. Did you pull the trans with the engine or no?

No left the transmission, I believe it's maybe 10-12 bolts total top 4 have to be gotten from above... Honestly doing it again I could pull the engine in less than 2hrs.. but 1st time i spent a lot of time figuring out WHAT needed to be pulled... the answers for me are... pull the engine with the wiring harness and the alternator and the AC compressor... I do AC work about everyday so having to recharge the system vs the work involved to RR the compressor in the truck was a non issue... remove the fan & clutch and radiator... unbolt the PS pump and tie it to the side... you have more than enough room under the truck and in the engine bay... the transmission lines that where bolted to the bracket that was BOLTED to the engine block was the only snag I had I just didn't see that one 12mm bolt. the flywheel to torque converter bolts are easy to access and easy to turn the engine with a 1/2 ratchet on the harmonic balance bolt to get to each one... there was nothing hard about it

That is pretty cool to know that there is always the option of using the Tundra V8 in the unlikely event of a catastrophic failure. Major benefit considering both availability and pricing for Tundra's.

Just posting this for those who want to know, I found just about zero on this in a web search so.. I thought I would share...
best deal I found on an engine was a 82k mile unit off ebay $1100 plus $250 shipping to my door It was out of a 2005 Tundra that i got the carfax with, came complete minus a/c and alternator, everything else was there including the wiring harness, exhaust manifolds, mounts hoses ect all capped off sealed and strapped to a pallet. the fan clutch/fan shaft was broken as described
Before it got here I had already ordered a complete timing belt /water pump kit.

What I could USE.. was the basic Long Block from the Tundra, (and used the o2 exhaust sensors)

I swapped: the complete oil pan W/pickup. complete intake with throttle body, Oil Filter mount, exhaust manifolds, complete wiring harness, all brackets and mounts even the dip stick, (starter the lexus just looked bigger/better) I did use the exhaust o2 sensors off the low mile tundra, I had to replace the exhaust studs I broke on the lexus manifolds, I did the timing belt water pump while on the stand (less than 1hr labor)
replaced as many hoses as i could, anyway... I'm slow with a lot of pictures to remember hose and wire routes and mount locations... took me about 30hrs total and about $1600 by the time i was done. nothing hard about it... very few hidden bolts... only engines I ever swapped before were SBC in my dirt track cars and British sports cars have not done that in 20 years... you can do this whole job with a few sockets /wrenches/ extensions in the 10mm/14mm/17mm/ and 22mm? (harmonic balance crankshaft bolt) one pair of pliers for the hose clamps and an engine stand helps... I did it in my warehouse with a forklift.... pretty simple job which might be why there aren't many threads on it.
so if anyone needs... a 2005 tundra manifold/throttle body, oil pan, wire harness, exhaust manifolds ect... :)

Just had to update.... all is well with my engine swap... forgot one thing... NEVER forget to plug in the small wire to the starter or when you THINK you are finished you will have to pull the manifold and that is involved to hook up that ONE wire you forgot.... it was such a simple deal I just purchased a 1998 land cruiser with a bad engine... curious to see how fast I can do it a second time....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom