Suspension Upgrade Shopping and To-Do List (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello all,

I want to get a vector check on my upgrade path before I break out the credit card. Hoping there will be some good Black Friday sales in a few weeks. Most off my off road will be overland and light to medium trails. My GX is a 2005, non-KDSS, about 125k miles.

Eibach Pro Truck Lift Stage 2
-Targeting a 2” rear lift and level the front. I think that means about 3” in the front.
-Does anyone know if Eibach uses a standard spring size? If I add weight, can I swap springs to get the correct rate?

Front upper control arms
-leaning towards Freedom Off-road.

Firestone rear airbags
-I do tow with the GX occasionally, and really like the auto leveling rear.

I’ve already done front LCA bushings, ball joints, and sway bar links. What parts of the rear should I swap while I’m doing the work?

What else do I need to add to my shopping list? Beer is already item #1. 😉

TIA.

a few things….

Bump stops from timbren for the rear and durobumps for the front. Research that to smooth out large hits.

Firestone air bags are helper air bags. These are not replacements for the rear air springs.

If you want to keep the rear air bag functionality to raise and lower the rear, I heard some guy replaced the rear air springs with new longer rear air springs.

Rear extended brake lines in case you lift the rear and it articulates more than stock.

Rear extended diff breather

Eibach offers a variety of springs. Call them and discuss your situation. They have been extremely helpful to me.

For the rear I'd swap out your swaybar bushings and get some extended rear sway bar endlinks. They are kind of pricey but the OEM links are too short. If you have access to a welder (or a friend who welds) it's actually pretty easy to make a set of adjustable links with some threaded couplers and rod; otherwise you can buy a pair.

Other things you could consider replacing would be the rear UCAs and LCAs. I replaced all 4 of mine with Moog parts for around $120 on Rock Auto. My OEM UCAs and LCAs were kind of rusty and the bushings were cracked, so I just went ahead and did it. I probably would have spent a bit more on OEM Toyota parts if I did it again (just not to have to think about it), although the Moog UCAs and LCAs were identical to OEM and appear to be holding up fine a year later.

Rednexus is correct. My kit is yet to be installed (one more week I hope). I read on this forum that the 1991-97 4runner rear sway bar links are longer and work for a mild lift on the GX470. I ordered a set of replacement links from that series of 4runner. I also have a complete new front suspension kit that includes LCA's, UCA's, tie rod ends, and front sway bar links. I also ordered a set of SPC caster/camber adjustment bolts since the old ones are likely seized into the suspension.

Eibach kit comes with really nice rear bump stops - at least mine did. I got the rear adjustable kit, which might be nice for you should you add weight, etc. As mentioned, rear sway bar links, I got the proforged 4Runner version and they have been outstanding (originally got expensive superpro version, they were trash).

Eibach kit comes with really nice rear bump stops - at least mine did. I got the rear adjustable kit, which might be nice for you should you add weight, etc. As mentioned, rear sway bar links, I got the proforged 4Runner version and they have been outstanding (originally got expensive superpro version, they were trash).
Do you have the part number for the exact kit you ordered?

Do you have the part number for the exact kit you ordered?
I bought them separately, there isn’t a kit as far as I know so I just bought fronts and then the rear “load leveling” setup. All the gx470 options are listed here, scroll down a bit and you’ll find part numbers, etc

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom